DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Giant has passed...the Last of the Ancient Fathers is Dead.

Asgard Thorin

Ray Bradbury. I once bought an anthology of his short-stories, one hundred of them or so, for about ten bucks. The result was that I was inspired to write more short stories in a month than all other times in my amateur writing career.

Ray Bradbury. Quiet, unassuming, with neither the householdname status that was Tolkien on the fantasy side of the coin, nor the permanent standing of the best science fiction ever that was awarded to Asimov, yet a far more prolific writer than either or both. Contemporary to every writer in the English language from Brandon Sanderson back to Rudyard Kipling himself.

Ray Bradbury. A man capable of writing anything and everything, and never afraid to try it. The Martian Chronicles, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Fahrenheit 451. The Wonderful Icecream Suit, The Wonderful Death of Dudley Stone, A Blade of Grass, Finnegan my poor memory is not worthy of the task of recalling his works' names, but then he had so many short stories, so many works perhaps an encyclopedia could not recount them all. He saw and added to the Golden Age of Science Fiction, yet could write horror, drama, dystopias...I think of authors like Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and their versatility. I can think of only one word for such an author and that is Bradburian. I admit to tears in my eyes, and I admit it without shame. This was a Father of Science Fiction, and a writer of the English Canon. A writer that all writers wish to be like.

Ray Bradbury.

Archived