DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Silvie

Well that was before she suspected Eggy of taking her man right? I'd think it was more Lanfear tan Moggy because she was psuedo helping the girls out if I recall correctly. Moggy seems the type to trap and compel them when she discovered them.

Wasnt it completely determined that Silvie was Lanfear.

I could be mistaken but i thought Lanfear revealed that herself.

And i know the WOT Wiki is not completely accurate but it also states Silvie was Lanfear.

I'm pretty sure it was Lanfear--it fits her MO--a disguise that constantly winks to the fact that she's one of the Forsaken. The cruel way of throwing Egwene from the dream (her domain). Moghedien conceals herself better, and is much more subtle in her manipulations. Lanfear didn't feel she needed to be.

Plus Moghedien had no part in that plan.

I always thought it was Lanfear. Around the same time she is impersonating Else Grinwell at the Tower (OK, slightly before), and of course her escapades in the three fold land and those as Selene.

In each instance, she interacts with the main characters directly in her guise, be it Rand, Mat, or Egwene.

Moggy, though, tends to keep herself hidden more, though she also uses disguises (as in Tanchico). But she tends to be less interactive with those she is observing, or covers it up w/ Compulsion when she does.

Plus, isn't there a point where she says something to Rand about "the girl who tries to watch over/protect you," meaning Egwene? We know Lanfear is the jealous type, and she has a reason to keep watch on Egwene. Though, if Lanfear were watching Egwene, you'd think she'd know who she is, instead of having to ask "which one is Aviendha?" on the docks, though maybe she was so angry she just saw two women dressed in Aiel garb and didn't recognize Egwene as one.

Yes, you are right on Moghedien. Further more, I just recalled that in the next book, when compelling Nynaeve and Elayne, Moghedien said, "sounds like Be'lal" or the like, clearly she had had no good knowledge of what happened in Tear. I just wondered, cause obsequious behaviour has seemed to me to be beyond what Lanfear can do. Have to reread her stint as Keille Shaogi, but I think she was quite overpowering then too. Nothing like Silvie. Perhaps it was someone else than Lanfear?

Yes, you are right on Moghedien. Further more, I just recalled that in the next book, when compelling Nynaeve and Elayne, Moghedien said, "sounds like Be'lal" or the like, clearly she had had no good knowledge of what happened in Tear. I just wondered, cause obsequious behaviour has seemed to me to be beyond what Lanfear can do. Have to reread her stint as Keille Shaogi, but I think she was quite overpowering then too. Nothing like Silvie. Perhaps it was someone else than Lanfear?

Well Silvie was quite over-powering, in her own way.

I always thought it to be kind of obvious that Silvie was Lanfear.

Silvie:

-Intimate knowledge of TAR shown in conversation with Egwene

-Intimate knowledge of the Forsaken in conversation with Egwene

-Conscious of being in TAR

At this point in the series, the only people we know to ever go to TAR are Aes Sedai, Forsaken, and Wolfbrothers (hints, at least). To think that Silvie would not be from this group is implausible, because any other groups are a complete non-entity at this point. Of Aes Sedai, the only current Aes Sedai who seem to have any knowledge of dreams and TAR are: Moraine, Verin, Anaiya. Of those three, only Verin, a DF (and already strongly hinted/proven in TGH), and Brown Ajah, might possibly have enough info on the Forsaken to have had the conversation with Egwene.

For the Forsaken, only two Forsaken have been known to deal openly with the main characters thus far, and they are the only two who deal with the main characters in dreams: Ishamael and Lanfear. Given that Silvie is female, and hiding her true identity from her subject (Lanfear's MO for the most part at this point, and for a few books to come as well) while still talking openly with them, seems to definitely lean towards Lanfear more than Ishamael. Ishamael deals openly with the main characters, true, but always as Ba'alza'mon at this point, not at something else. Moghedian's MO is to watch, observe, and move only when pushed to or an extreme opportunity to gain an advantage occur. Silvie's meeting with Egwene doesn't really strike me as either of these things.

That narrows it down to Verin and Lanfear, then. The problem with Verin is that we don't know if she has another dream ter'angreal, or if she can enter TAR on her own. While certainly possible, this doesn't seem plausible as we've been given no hints that this is the case, which RJ usually would leave if it were her in this instance. So, that leaves Lanfear, the Forsaken who loves to go around to the TR crowd, acting like someone she's not, and trying to prod them in the way she wants.

Else was also Verin, it all makes sense.

Uh? what am I missing here Lanfear disguised as Else.

Nakomi couldn't have been Verin. Verin had no idea where Avi would be.

Silvie wasn't a baddie, when she pushed Egwene out of Telrhoid, Eg felt pain cause that is how it works, not cause Silvie was a baddie. Lanfear sent the girls to Tear because she thought she needed that to draw Rand, she wasn't helping the girls, she never did help them (at least neither intentionaly or directly). Silvie seems to be helping Eg. She may be Randlands other dreamer, who we may never meet again... four in aiel land maybe there is two in randland and silvie is self taught, fights for the light...

if she has to be a main char - Berelain is my best guess

I don't see Nakomi being a main char.

• 7 years later...

This conversation is fun. But...

Lanfear disguised herself as Else and lead the girls to the "subtle" hints to Tear. As she was giving them the directions, she stared at the ring.

The first words out of "Sylvie's" mouth are: "Well, you've found your way at last".  Clearly showing she had been waiting for Egwene.

She also knows that Ishmael is Baalzamon, and uses similar phrases talking to Egwene as she did talking with Matt.

And if all that isn't enough, the Compendium states it outright.

• 1 year later...

I’ve been re listening to WOT after recently going through LOTR and I had this thought infact Silvie was “Tom Bombadil,” The hidden God character. Egwene was drawn to Silvie by need in T’A’R’ anyway. Why should we asume need drew her to the forsaken? Compendium aside. 

Edited by Speaker4dead