DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New here... where to start?

JDM

Hi Folks,

I am new here and also new to TWOT and Fantasy/Sci-Fi in general. I recently read the Morgaine saga by CJ Cherryh and I thought that it was excellent and am now firmly hooked on the genre! (I am sure most of you folks have already read those books but if not, I highly recommend it!)

Anyway because I am crazy, :D I have just purchased all the books in TWOT including the prequel. Would I benefit from reading the prequel first or should I just jump right in?

Thanks,

Jeremy

ya i would say get a few books under your belt, i think that reading the prequel would take away a lot of the mystery when starting the series, and really its quite an adventure...i remember being blown away the first time i read EotW and wouldnt want to know who the characters were before reading that

For a first read-through of a series, I always recommend that you go in published chronological order. The reason for this is because then you are getting the story shown to you as the author intended to tell the story to his audience. For re-reads (a bit ambitious to bring up to you here, I admit lol), I usually go with story timeline chronological order. Not just for WoT, but for any series of books taking place in the same universe.

Thanks everyone! I will read the series as published as I definitely do not want to lose the mystery as TooThatHorn suggested could be possible. Looks like I will begin the journey this evening. Thanks all!

For a first read-through of a series, I always recommend that you go in published chronological order. The reason for this is because then you are getting the story shown to you as the author intended to tell the story to his audience. For re-reads (a bit ambitious to bring up to you here, I admit lol), I usually go with story timeline chronological order. Not just for WoT, but for any series of books taking place in the same universe.

With The Crossroads of Twilight being a slow bok in many readers opinions, it may be better to jump right into The Knife of Dreams after. I don't know, anytime after The Fires of Heaven is a good time.

I did read New Spring first, because the library didn't have TEOTW at that time, and I really enjoyed it. Probably because I adore magic, but I really loved that beginning. When I read TEOTW later, I was eager to read further because I wanted to see magic. (And main characters using that active).

However, I did read the first chapters of tGH and tDR too, while I hadn't even started NS. (I ran out of books and my brother and father did have those books.) So, the "mystery" was gone. And I never cared about spoilers.... Well, and WoT is more epic reading it the second time, so in the end, it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't recommend it anyone else, though, unless (S)he's in the same situation as me.

With The Crossroads of Twilight being a slow bok in many readers opinions, it may be better to jump right into The Knife of Dreams after. I don't know, anytime after The Fires of Heaven is a good time.

I decided this time to reread it after Winter's Heart. It's close enough to its publication date (especially considering it was originally published in the Legends anthology), and I think the events at the end of WH are a good prelude to it. That way you can go straight into KOD after COT which is, after all, a cliffhanger from hell. The end of WH is satisfying enough for a short break.

I decided this time to reread it after Winter's Heart. It's close enough to its publication date (especially considering it was originally published in the Legends anthology), and I think the events at the end of WH are a good prelude to it. That way you can go straight into KOD after COT which is, after all, a cliffhanger from hell. The end of WH is satisfying enough for a short break.

+1

Just to chime in, I would say it's best to meet certain characters in the main series first. Therefore, I suggest doing it anytime after ACoS (Terez's suggestion makes sense, also; CoT and Kod work better together, so stopping in the middle might be ill advised. BTW, so do TPoD and WH).

I did say the major ones, and by that, I mean the ones like Suttree and I have in our sigs that are short and to the point yet heavily indicative. There are a good number of them, but it's not endless. I think I will start a new thread.

Thanks everyone! I will read the series as published as I definitely do not want to lose the mystery as TooThatHorn suggested could be possible. Looks like I will begin the journey this evening. Thanks all!

you might also want to avoid this particular board until you are done reading. we spoil pretty much everything here one way or another. most of us who post here have read the whole series and discuss allot of theories with information from all the books and Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, and other interviews that give some more clarity. so if you start reading on this board, you just might get bored with the books due to not having many surprises.

Archived