DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Did anyone else think.

Shinobi

The Eye of the World was writting as a stand alone, but with hopes for a series. The Dragon Reborn was written to be the end of a trillogy, but with hopes for a continued series.

I am guessing that RJ only had a contract for TEotW when he wrote it, but with assurances from Tor that if it sold they would do two more for him. With The Dragon Reborn I am thinking they had a similar arrangement.

Guest cwestervelt
kruss2828: I think he wanted to write a series but wasn't sure how EotW would catch on, so he left it open. Sort of like a movie where you assume the character dies but it never shows it.

Having the first book of any newly started series able to stand on its own is not uncommon for precisely that reason. You may be able to swing the idea by your editor and publisher to get the first one out, but if it doesn't sell, chances are good that you won't get to see the next one printed. The alternative is to risk having a "mid season cancellation" that leaves the poeple that liked the book thoroughly disatisfied because the ending was left so open.

If it ended @ dragon reborn, i probably wouldn't have a thirst for new books anyways. Truly, i like the books after the dragon reborn but they seem bleah not as good, because Rand al'Thor has way too much power now. It looks way too easy for him to beat the Dark One now, after killing alot of forsaken, Perrin and Mat are alive. Seanchan may fight with him. Wolves. Aes Sedai. Ashaman. many others too. It aint too much of a struggle anymore.

If it ended @ dragon reborn' date=' i probably wouldn't have a thirst for new books anyways. Truly, i like the books after the dragon reborn but they seem [i']bleah[/i] not as good, because Rand al'Thor has way too much power now. It looks way too easy for him to beat the Dark One now, after killing alot of forsaken, Perrin and Mat are alive. Seanchan may fight with him. Wolves. Aes Sedai. Ashaman. many others too. It aint too much of a struggle anymore.

to much power? to go against a god? he isnt ready yet as is.

This is mostly from another thread so it is not all of my works:

Rand now has proven himself able to kill forsaken...He has killed many already. The other tavern are still alive. Always a good thought. Aes Sedai are bowing to him already, although they all will fight with him sooner or later. Technology is being a good factor with 'dragons'. Mat's army could be the best in Randland if it had more numbers. Ash'man dont have to worry about the taint and channel more freely and a have a longer life expectancy. Also with the taint gone, Rand can use Callandor more readily, a big factor don't you agree?

The Dark One has hordes of trollocs...They cant kill Rand. We've seen this countless times. Shades are being beaten by Perrin and Mat. If Rand can take down all forsaken it is a good thing. Now, The Dark One is the formidal opponent so we worry about him. But he is destined to die, with or without Rand.

EDIT: OK, i agree the DO does not die because of the wheel of time..There will be another dragon reborn...But RJ in a literary sense, has stacked alot allies against the Dark One.

If it ended @ dragon reborn, i probably wouldn't have a thirst for new books anyways. Truly, i like the books after the dragon reborn but they seem bleah not as good, because Rand al'Thor has way too much power now. It looks way too easy for him to beat the Dark One now, after killing alot of forsaken, Perrin and Mat are alive. Seanchan may fight with him. Wolves. Aes Sedai. Ashaman. many others too. It aint too much of a struggle anymore.

Let us not forget that during the age of legends the Dark One only had the tiniest hole to tough the world through yet through that he started the events that led to the breaking of the world. Rand is powerful, but the enemy he faces is just as if not more powerful than rand, with all his armies due to the simple fact that they could turn against him and go to the Dark One.

Rand still has a big fight on his hands and is probably not powerful enough yet.

Archived