DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which authors do you think write the best "Action Scenes"?

I'm talking mainly sci fi/fantasy but any genre is welcome for discussion. Ive been rereading Dark Tower and am reminded how good a job King does. The Tull shootout in book 1 and the shootouts with Balazar's men in books 2 and 6 are just awesome. Robert Jordan was very good too,imo. I especially thought the Battle of Cairhein and the fight at Algarin's manner were just two (of many) examples of well-written action scenes in WOT.

Fish

I think for a fight scene, Salvatore is the best. King is right up there. I don't care for RJ's action scenes. Too much dithering with assorted sword form names one right after the other, and not enough physical description of the action. (Heron Wading through the Marshes flowed into Apple Blossoms in the Wind flowed into Bundling straw flowed into Just get on with It Already.)

• 2 weeks later...

tolkien, battle of helms deep is one of my all time favorite battle scenes of all time.

duglas reeman. probly not well knowen, he is one of the best wwii fiction writers, i particularly liked the iron pirat, strike from the sea and a ship must die. if you like wwii fiction then try him out.

james finmore cooper. ok hes relly old so not many people probly remember him, but hes the guy that wrote last of the mohicans, the pathfinder, and others. it has some relly good action scenes.

i hate salvator, all he dose is action with little carecter development. that said he dose do pretty good action

Steven Pressfield for his Gates of Fire, and Conn Iggulden for his Emperor quartet and his books about the Mongolian empire. Everything was so well thought out and constructed, really drew you in. Battle scenes and assassinations were really well written.

Archived