DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nynaeve, the most arrogant character in WoT?

Having read the series through three times, and the first five about six or seven I pick up some stuff, but also miss a lot. I am currently listening through them and find stuff seems to come out more.

Through the first seven so far, I have noticed just how arrogant Nynaeve is. She is truly comptempous of most men, if not all, except Lan.

She truly sees herself better than almost anyone. She loathes taking orders, and having to do what is needed, unless it how she wants to do.

Her view is truly staggering, yes some think they are right,a nd sometimes are. But, she simply thinks only she is correct no matter the situation.

Hers and Elayne's and the other Aes Sedai's treament of Mat going to Ebou Dar shows just how much they think of him.

The other thing is just how arrogant Aes Sedai are. They think all should bow to them, they get truly annoyed if the honourific Aes Sedai or Sedai are not used in speaking to them. They are not that powerful, they should be spoken to as is needed. Just because they've had people bow to them for 3000 years they think it should go on.

They also seem to think it is for them to make people sing and dance to their tune.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having read the series through three times, and the first five about six or seven I pick up some stuff, but also miss a lot. I am currently listening through them and find stuff seems to come out more.

Through the first seven so far, I have noticed just how arrogant Nynaeve is. She is truly comptempous of most men, if not all, except Lan.

She truly sees herself better than almost anyone. She loathes taking orders, and having to do what is needed, unless it how she wants to do.

Her view is truly staggering, yes some think they are right,a nd sometimes are. But, she simply thinks only she is correct no matter the situation.

Hers and Elayne's and the other Aes Sedai's treament of Mat going to Ebou Dar shows just how much they think of him.

The other thing is just how arrogant Aes Sedai are. They think all should bow to them, they get truly annoyed if the honourific Aes Sedai or Sedai are not used in speaking to them. They are not that powerful, they should be spoken to as is needed. Just because they've had people bow to them for 3000 years they think it should go on.

They also seem to think it is for them to make people sing and dance to their tune.

When it comes to arrogance, no one tops Rand from TSR - TGS. His arrogance makes Nynaeve's an anthill at the foot of Dragonmount.

When it comes to arrogance, no one tops Rand from TSR - TGS. His arrogance makes Nynaeve's an anthill at the foot of Dragonmount.

tPoD

"Nobody stands nose-to-nose with the Dragon Reborn," Rand growled. "The Forsaken could tell him that, whoever he is. Right, Flinn? Dashiva?" Flinn nodded uncertainly. Dashiva flinched. "You think I can’t surprise him, Bashere? Watch!" Pulling the long bundle loose, he stripped away the cloth covering, and Rand heard gasps as raindrops glistened on a sword seemingly made of crystal. The Sword That Is Not a Sword. "Let’s see if he’s surprised by Callandorin the hands of the Dragon Reborn, Bashere."

So good...

tPoD

"Nobody stands nose-to-nose with the Dragon Reborn," Rand growled. "The Forsaken could tell him that, whoever he is. Right, Flinn? Dashiva?" Flinn nodded uncertainly. Dashiva flinched. "You think I can’t surprise him, Bashere? Watch!" Pulling the long bundle loose, he stripped away the cloth covering, and Rand heard gasps as raindrops glistened on a sword seemingly made of crystal. The Sword That Is Not a Sword. "Let’s see if he’s surprised by Callandorin the hands of the Dragon Reborn, Bashere."

So good...

Rand's "do you think that your heart won't stop suddenly because I will it" is another!

And so is his attempt to enforce his will over Tuon; but her willpower withstood that storm! One of her nicest scenes.

I think I would choose Elaida as the most arrogant character of the series. Rand beats her, but a lot of the time his arrogance is very justified. I'd be feeling pretty full of myself if I was as strong in the Power as he is and had Callandor lol.

Highest arrogance, no question... never mind there is a question. Let's see, to name off a few, Cadsuane, Nynaeve (now lessened), Egwene (getting there), Padan Fain (believes he can't lose), and a lot of the Forsaken before they met rand.

Ah I think the most arrogant person has got to be cadsuane, you can go all day saying baloney like she reads people, and adapts her methods to fit them individually. There has never been a character thats made me want to stop reading WoT like cadsuane[ I wanted Verin to poison her so badly]. She is indescribably horrible.....I hate her.....seriously.....hate her

Rand's "do you think that your heart won't stop suddenly because I will it" is another!

And so is his attempt to enforce his will over Tuon; but her willpower withstood that storm! One of her nicest scenes.

My memory is kind of vague on that scene, but I don't remember it being her willpower that resisted Rand. We knew they were going to attack the WT and if she gave in to Rand that wouldn't happen. I imagined it as a tug of war between the pattern and Rand and of course the pattern won.

Ah I think the most arrogant person has got to be cadsuane, you can go all day saying baloney like she reads people, and adapts her methods to fit them individually.

If they said that they would be correct. Not sure why your dislike would make any of it less true. Have you read RJ's notes on the character? She is indeed a remarkably adaptable woman and her track record speaks for itself.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=652

I think part of Nyn's arrogence stems from she is trying to be AS (pre raising) and arrogence seems to be required if your AS

I think you have to go back further than that to find the root of it. It springs from her insecurity - that's why it has lessened over the series. The same with her bullying, and her block. Nynaeve's arrogance is a front. In Emond's Field, she had to shove the Women's Circle around because otherwise she would be ignored. She was afraid of the Power, and of surrendering, and had to use anger to overcome that fear. Nynaeve's character arc has been about her overcoming her insecurities and becoming a more confident person.

My memory is kind of vague on that scene, but I don't remember it being her willpower that resisted Rand. We knew they were going to attack the WT and if she gave in to Rand that wouldn't happen. I imagined it as a tug of war between the pattern and Rand and of course the pattern won.

Wasn't there a quote from Brandon saying that she resisted Rand's ta'veren pull through sheer willpower?

I think part of Nyn's arrogence stems from she is trying to be AS (pre raising) and arrogence seems to be required if your AS

I think you have to go back further than that to find the root of it. It springs from her insecurity - that's why it has lessened over the series. The same with her bullying, and her block. Nynaeve's arrogance is a front. In Emond's Field, she had to shove the Women's Circle around because otherwise she would be ignored. She was afraid of the Power, and of surrendering, and had to use anger to overcome that fear. Nynaeve's character arc has been about her overcoming her insecurities and becoming a more confident person.

Since her "unblocking" coincided with her marriage to Lan, it is difficult to draw a distinction between the two as to which helped her settle down. The few readings for me gave me the impression that Lan settled her down. Nynaeve before marriage is different from post-Mashiara Nynaeve.

I thought during her stay in the tower she actually started to become humbled, but her release from the tower, plus believing that she had to 'be' AS to do her task led her to become more arrogent than even before

Since her "unblocking" coincided with her marriage to Lan, it is difficult to draw a distinction between the two as to which helped her settle down. The few readings for me gave me the impression that Lan settled her down. Nynaeve before marriage is different from post-Mashiara Nynaeve.

I disagree. Nyneave is arrogant to some extent. I think she acts more like a bully or spoiled child than anything. But she's definitely not the most arrogant. I hated Nyneave until she freed Eggy from the Seanchan. When she left that leash on the Suldam attached to the peg on the wall and told Eggy that was "justice", my whole opinion of Nyneave changed that day.

I like Nynaeve. She is one of the characters that has grown with every passing book, and one of the few that have survived TGS-ToM's caricature-isms relatively unscathed. How she interacts with Rand post-WH actually reminds me of Moiraine, how she was one of the only stablizing forces in Rand's life. Nynaeve grew into the role that Moiraine once filled; one that he desperately needed.

Her earlier stuff, I'll agree, makes her seem a bit much, but it allows for personal growth. And I think she fulfills that potential.

I'd say she's much more standable than Egwene, and Egwene's more standable than Couladin or Sevanna.

Couladin and Sevanna were the couple from hell. Skinning messangers alive, beating naked women and keeping prisoners like trophies, treating Wetlanders like cattle while considering adopting their worst practices like noblity.

What annoyed me most about Sevanna was that she was actually a spoilt, worthless gold digger and she managed to almost unseat the Dragon, outwit the Aes Sedai, and slaughter the Light's forces with her underhanded gossip's bullying and backstabbing skills. If the Ashaman hadn't come in and saved the day with their ridiculous, near-unbelievable growth, she would've been Queen of the World. Imagine that.

Archived