DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Quirk in tEotW?

I realize most oddities seem to come from this book,as RJ was still "feeling" his way. Most ,if not all of us believe that Moiraine is on the side of the light. so are the following quotes just a quirk,or something more serious? In chapter 28 (Footprints in Air): "The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills," Moiraine mumbled. "No eye can see the Pattern until it is woven." Earlier, in chapter 15(Strangers and Friends), Min talking to Rand says "She (Moiraine) says I see pieces of the Pattern." Anybody care to explain this seeming contradiction? I know Min is an obvious exception,but....??

I don't think it was a mistake, i think it was just a saying that Moiraine had. It's like the Children of the Light saying that the Light will always make them win, when they can already see that is false.

Min does see parts of the pattern that will be and what won't be. When she knows what they mean then that part of the pattern is going to happen. Which means AS and Taveren have less of a choice in life. Which has been covered in the books.

People who can't channel and aren't Taveren have more free will. So there pattern can't be seen as well by Min.

Usually when there is an image around a normal person it usually revolves around a AS or Taveren.

you're right,best guess is that it's just a saying(force of habit) by Moiraine;like a number of others in the book that aren't true either. still leaves the question,how can Moiraine say something that is not completely true. i know, she's Aes Sedai!!

It depends on the context. Aes Sedai often use sarcasm, saying words that are not true, but the intent behind the words is to indicate the obvious, which is true. Thus, I assume of an AS said true word but tried to speak them sarcastically to make them seem false, she wouldn't be able to do it.

Moiraine had met Min at least once before,based on conversations,plus the fact that she said something like i hope Min is still here. she also knew about Min's talent. makes me wonder if Min gave her a description(pure speculation)of our 'heroes' on the way to EF. like-you're going to meet an Aiel in disguise,a young blacksmith,and a prankster.would certainly have helped.

Moiraine has a thing about skirting the truth a lot. Maybe she is free from the oath rod?

Then again the statement "No one can see the pattern until it is woven." is a true statement. Not even the creator (if he even exists) can see the pattern. And for Min to say that "Moiraine says I can see parts of the pattern" is true as well. Because it doesn't state that Min can see the whole pattern. At might be a twist of words but is none the less true.

AS can say the sky is not blue and it to be true. As long as they mean that the color isn't blue but instead it is robin egg blue or some such color.

Moiraine has a thing about skirting the truth a lot. Maybe she is free from the oath rod?

Then again the statement "No one can see the pattern until it is woven." is a true statement. Not even the creator (if he even exists) can see the pattern. And for Min to say that "Moiraine says I can see parts of the pattern" is true as well. Because it doesn't state that Min can see the whole pattern. At might be a twist of words but is none the less true.

AS can say the sky is not blue and it to be true. As long as they mean that the color isn't blue but instead it is robin egg blue or some such color.

not to mention the sky isn't always blue =P. the only truth is that the sky is black, the defraction of light is what makes it appear blue, or even red (if you have ever seen the a clear and nice sunset you will see red and black and verry little blue).

Archived