DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Blind Luck: Just how blind are we talking?

peregrine

Here's a new theory (new to me, anyway) inspired by the thread on Foreshadowing. There's been some discussion there as to whether Mat's penchant for wrapping scarves around his head in the early books foreshadowed his half-blindness. The pertinent examples of this (that I could find) are Chapter 32 of The Eye of the World, in which Mat is blinded by lightning and bandages his eyes with a scarf, and Chapter 24 of The Shadow Rising, in which Mat wears a scarf around his head as they travel into Rhuidean.

I always thought this behavior, which as far as I can tell is unique to Mat, foreshadowed his half-blindness (along with Mat's cry "He took my eyes!" after waking from a dream of Ba'alzamon in Chapter 33 of The Eye of the World). However, people have sensibly pointed out that the use of the scarf and the complete blindness implied by these scenes doesn't fit with the loss of an eye.

I'm starting to think it instead foreshadows Mat fighting blind in the last book.

There are several examples of Mat intentionally blinding himself to capitalize on his luck. In Chapter 3 of The Fires of Heaven, a drunk Mat blindfolds himself with his scarf and throws a knife, hitting a small wood target and shocking onlookers. In Chapter 29 of Crossroads of Twilight, Mat brings Tuon to Jurador to shop for dress fabric. When she disappears into a shop, he finds her by closing his eyes and spinning around. He does the same thing in the Tower of Ghenjei. And when he is actually (half) blinded and worrying about his inability to judge depth, he convinces himself he can still aim, not by doing the obvious thing of actually aiming at something and hitting it, but by tossing the blade over his shoulder and spearing a rabbit.

So the question is, what are the chances Mat needs total blindness to fight now? With one eye open, he doesn't leave anything up to chance and therefore (presumably) can't aim. But with both eyes out of commission, he can rely on blind luck to survive. As he says, "luck worked better when you were not looking anyway" (Towers of Midnight, Ch 57).

Maybe it's a crazy thought, but it seems to fit the foreshadowing in the early books. It also fits the fact that he always wears a scarf. I have nothing against him just wearing the scarf to cover the hanging scar, but it wouldn't surprise me if it played a new role in the new book -- namely, as a means of bandaging his eyes in case of a fight.

Honestly, I'm not sure I can picture Mat being able to fight blind. It just seems too difficult to anticipate an opponent's every move. But his luck (or at least his skill at using it) has escalated in every book. So I thought the theory was worth throwing out there.

Haha, this is great. The image of Mat wandering around at TG with a blindfold on is worth it, no matter the problems.

In all seriousness, I think that it may be a part of it. There may be a time when Mat needs to fight blindly. Perhaps in a duel with someone (or something, I suppose) the only way to win is to let go and trust his instincts. Kinda sounds all Jedi, so I don't know about that. But... they say the gaze of the Eyeless is Fear. May be that Shaidar Haran's gaze is more potent than his fellows. While nobody can move while looking, Mat may fight blindly, trusting to his luck?

I can't see him actually fighting any major battle blinded. It would be too ridiculous.Even though we have explanation for Mat's luck, him fighting a few thousand Shadowspawn blindfolded is too far a stretch to be believable.

That would be pretty awesome, but I don't think he will lose both eyes. I see a nice scene with good ol' Uno teaching him how to fight with one eye. "Don't bloody aim straight you flaming goat kisser! Aim to your bloody flaming right to go straight!" "Oh burn you to bloody ashes! I am you flaming goat hugger!"

May be that Shaidar Haran's gaze is more potent than his fellows. While nobody can move while looking, Mat may fight blindly, trusting to his luck?

I like this idea! I agree it would probably be more of an epic one-time deal. As a general rule, he should probably stay away from battles from now on ...

That would be pretty awesome, but I don't think he will lose both eyes. I see a nice scene with good ol' Uno teaching him how to fight with one eye. "Don't bloody aim straight you flaming goat kisser! Aim to your bloody flaming right to go straight!" "Oh burn you to bloody ashes! I am you flaming goat hugger!"

haha! I don't mean to suggest he'll lose both eyes, just that he'll fight blindfolded.

Oh! I can see that, defenitely the part of him vs SH. But would being blindfolded really help in that situation? From what we've read, just the fades looking at you caused that affect, even if they were behind you. But I could be wrong.

Oh! I can see that, defenitely the part of him vs SH. But would being blindfolded really help in that situation? From what we've read, just the fades looking at you caused that affect, even if they were behind you. But I could be wrong.

no its meeting their eyes that cause the effect

Also, it would be beneficial to Mat because he may have lost his battle judgement, what with depth perception messed up now.

I would say that Mat will be avoiding the actual action now. He is too valuable anyway. A General should never fight on the front lines. Not in this case when his strategy is needed over a large area and possibly multiple battles/skirmishes at once. '

Can I trademark the SH theory, it actually makes a lot of sense. I claim it as mine! :tongue:

I think that mat will keep his eye to just see where people actually are instead of just wandering around. however, I think any depth, aiming or fighting skills he will leave to luck and whatever skill he has gotten so far.

I would say that Mat will be avoiding the actual action now.

Mat has spent a fairly large part of the books trying to avoid that kind of action. How has that turned out for him? :)

I would say that Mat will be avoiding the actual action now.

Mat has spent a fairly large part of the books trying to avoid that kind of action. How has that turned out for him? :)

Heh, fair point. :tongue:

I was thinking along the lines that the Pattern needs him as a strategist, and he is not in the best shape to fight.

Perhaps this time he will be trying to fight, but the battles will escape him :laugh:

Edynol: Maybe swearing in the WoT leads to eye-poked-out. You have old wives-tales about swearing, maybe this is the root of it!! :elayne: better watch out

Also, it would be beneficial to Mat because he may have lost his battle judgement, what with depth perception messed up now.

I would say that Mat will be avoiding the actual action now. He is too valuable anyway. A General should never fight on the front lines. Not in this case when his strategy is needed over a large area and possibly multiple battles/skirmishes at once. '

Can I trademark the SH theory, it actually makes a lot of sense. I claim it as mine! :tongue:

It's all yours! :)

You're right, there's no way Mat is going to "put aside his baton and become a common soldier" any time soon. I hope not anyway. But he's bound to get into at least one fight in AMoL. He's just too terrible at avoiding them.

yeah, he probably will use his luck way more because he will need it way more. i can't wait for epic batlle scenes with one eye. Also, what will everyone else think of him when they see him.

Archived