DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lan's Charge

JohnMonsour

Does anyone have any thoughts on when Lan's charge happens? I was mostly wondering if it is the same day as Rand's meeting or if there will be time for someone to come to his rescue. It seems like an waste to have him die needlessly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lan's charge coincides with Rand's meeting with the Borderlanders, the day before the FoM meeting is supposed to take place.

Here is a provisional timeline for Towers of Midnight, not all of it is confirmed, however, Lan's Charge has been by Brandon.https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApFWTyzG9G_UdHZCUjQzVGNLeUJyMkUycXkzQlExSFE&output=html

Lan's charge coincides with Rand's meeting with the Borderlanders, the day before the FoM meeting is supposed to take place.

Here is a provisional timeline for Towers of Midnight, not all of it is confirmed, however, Lan's Charge has been by Brandon.https://spreadsheets...SFE&output=html

Not seen that timeline before, thanks for posting it :D

p.s After years discussing and theorizing the Legend of Zelda timeline on forums I generally tend to stay away from timeline theories, lol

The most pointless charge in the history of all charges. Hope he dies. Ny deserved better than this suicidal nut job.

Woah, lan is actually pretty awesome. i agree that he shouldn't do this, but he is amazing.

The most pointless charge in the history of all charges. Hope he dies. Ny deserved better than this suicidal nut job.

The charge is pointless. But Lan, who is under oath since birth to avenge what cannot be regained, is also under the much more powerful impact of the severing of his bond to Moiraine. He isn't balanced and is suicidal; but it isn't his fault.

Yeah, but the "cannot be regained" is stale info. After the Cleansing and the (likely pending) repletion of the Tower with AM, retaking Malkier is hardly impossible. I mean, yes, 99% of the kingdom was slaughtered, and that can't be undone, but rebuilding is possible down the line. And since both the AM leader and AS leader owe Lan their lives, at a more fortuitous time, they would certainly be willing to help.

So Lan making his charge, instead of staying close to the people who need him, is idiotic. Just because Rand is going to use it to the world's advantage doesn't mean it's a good idea. And whatever Lan might be, he's almost never stupid.

The charge is pointless. But Lan, who is under oath since birth to avenge what cannot be regained, is also under the much more powerful impact of the severing of his bond to Moiraine. He isn't balanced and is suicidal; but it isn't his fault.

Isn't he shown to be over the loss of the bond and happily married to Ny by the time he set out like a crazy man?. What type of man would commit suicide when as the greatest swordsman of the era he could be of great help in the massive battle about to start?

Isn't he shown to be over the loss of the bond and happily married to Ny by the time he set out like a crazy man?. What type of man would commit suicide when as the greatest swordsman of the era he could be of great help in the massive battle about to start?

I don't think he overcame the severing of the bond. He was distracted by Nynaeve and marriage. And Nynaeve was till searching for a way to heal him.

Yeah, but the "cannot be regained" is stale info. After the Cleansing and the (likely pending) repletion of the Tower with AM, retaking Malkier is hardly impossible. I mean, yes, 99% of the kingdom was slaughtered, and that can't be undone, but rebuilding is possible down the line. And since both the AM leader and AS leader owe Lan their lives, at a more fortuitous time, they would certainly be willing to help.

So Lan making his charge, instead of staying close to the people who need him, is idiotic. Just because Rand is going to use it to the world's advantage doesn't mean it's a good idea. And whatever Lan might be, he's almost never stupid.

I see your point here. However, I think he knows that the Rand and egwene at that time would not have helped him regain Malkier.

personaly i think he was forged to be the herald of the last battle. the last battle began the moment he started to ride from saldea to tarwins gap. i dont think he had a large ammount of choice in his fate, but like rand only had the chance to decide why he would fight. i dont know if he will live, but that just makes the future that much more interesting.

malkier for tarmon'gaidon.

I mean we started with Lan and his charge and where have we gotten to. Makes one wonder whether Luckers is sick or something? I hope not but I think that Lan is not going to di at Tarwin Gap bcause there is still that viewing by MIn where they all have to be there. I know that people think that it is related to Sha lagoth or whatever but I hav always believed it to be about the last battle.

I think that he will be about to die when help comes and Nynaeve will heal this huge wound and get really mad at him and he'll laugh and all will be well, and then the whole huge attack will come.

I called it, for the record.

I don't mind so much the way that the thread has evolved (you can always contact staff about these things if you do, though, rather than wait for us to notice it), since the original angle seems to have run its course. However, the mention of spoiler material on this board is a big no-no.

Still, ask and you shall receive. I'm taking these posts to a separate thread.

if he didnt charge the trollocs will have passed tarwins gap and destroyed the borderlands and invaded the rest of the lands

The Shadowspawn army in Tarwin's Gap is aimed at Sheinar. The estimate is 150K shadowspawn; and the estimate is that the there are about 50K troops defending Sheinar other than Lan's army (12K troops).

There is probably a shadowspawn army of similar size attacking Arafel and Kandor. The army that Rand broke in Maradon probably was over 200K shadowspawn since the Shadow was forced to bring reinforcements.

I wonder why the new and improved Rand has made no contact with Lan?

I mean the post-epiphany Rand does want to help Lan, and yet as far as we know he has made no efforts to find out where Lan is and what he is doing.

Would it really have been all that hard for Rand to travel to Lan and say: "Hey, delay that charge of yours by a couple of days and I will have a few hundred thousand more troops to help you".

Not to mention that in an enclosed location like the Gap, channelers could probably have caused significant damage to the trollocs.

Rand did spend lots of time offscreen in this book. Maybe he sent Ituralde and the asha'man with Ituralde to help Lan out. I guess we will see.

Does not really change the fact that Lan is an idiot for going through with suicide. And in a way, Nynaeve is an idiot too. Lan left in the first place because Rand was not doing anything. Nynaeve could have traveled to Lan an explained about Rands madness and the fact he was now cured of it and in major shadow-fighting mood and that there was no need for suicide.

I wonder why the new and improved Rand has made no contact with Lan?

I mean the post-epiphany Rand does want to help Lan, and yet as far as we know he has made no efforts to find out where Lan is and what he is doing.

Would it really have been all that hard for Rand to travel to Lan and say: "Hey, delay that charge of yours by a couple of days and I will have a few hundred thousand more troops to help you".

Not to mention that in an enclosed location like the Gap, channelers could probably have caused significant damage to the trollocs.

Rand did spend lots of time offscreen in this book. Maybe he sent Ituralde and the asha'man with Ituralde to help Lan out. I guess we will see.

Does not really change the fact that Lan is an idiot for going through with suicide. And in a way, Nynaeve is an idiot too. Lan left in the first place because Rand was not doing anything. Nynaeve could have traveled to Lan an explained about Rands madness and the fact he was now cured of it and in major shadow-fighting mood and that there was no need for suicide.

If Rand wants to send someone to help Lan, it would not be Ituralde and Alsalam. The natural choice would be Easar and Jaged Aglemar (a great captain himself).

Archived