DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Book 12 The Gathering Storm

cmo999

Right now I am reading the series for the first time, and I am about half way through book 12. I have thoroughly enjoyed most of the book, it feels like the same story and the same level of quality.. however, every now and then, the dialogue gets sort of.. sloppy, it seems to lack insight into the characters and loses continuity. I kind of skim over those parts, in case there is any important plot developments, but it ruins it for me.. just momentarily, then resumes continuity again. For example, Chapter 20 is like that. Does anyone else have the same perception, or is it just me? :)

I just reread chapter 20, and I can see what you mean. I personally kind of liked that chapter, I also like the new Mat, which is very debatable, but I can see why you would feel like that.

There is a thread in here called Sanderson Moments (http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/67844-sanderson-moments/) that might clear up some of your issues or at least explain them. Essentially, BS has admitted he had troubles really figuring out how to write a few of the characters (namely Mat) and he admits his prose is not on RJ's level but the process of writing the books has helped and he is improving on both counts as he progresses. I personally thought he did a better job in ToM and expect aMoL to be his best.

There is a thread in here called Sanderson Moments (http://www.dragonmou...derson-moments/) that might clear up some of your issues or at least explain them. Essentially, BS has admitted he had troubles really figuring out how to write a few of the characters (namely Mat) and he admits his prose is not on RJ's level but the process of writing the books has helped and he is improving on both counts as he progresses. I personally thought he did a better job in ToM and expect aMoL to be his best.

Amen, it is his last chance ;)

Well not sure I'd put it quite that way. He hasn't been perfect but he has surpassed my expectations for taking up RJ's masterpiece. I honestly thought it would be a disaster having someone else try to finish it and feel BS has overall done a great job but I do have higher hopes now for aMoL, especially after that prologue release. Loved it.

Well not sure I'd put it quite that way. He hasn't been perfect but he has surpassed my expectations for taking up RJ's masterpiece. I honestly thought it would be a disaster having someone else try to finish it and feel BS has overall done a great job but I do have higher hopes now for aMoL, especially after that prologue release. Loved it.

Overall, I've enjoyed the last two books. Criticizing a few things doesn't detract from the overall pleasure of reading the books and knowing that fans will get the ending they've been waiting for.

So, I hope that AMoL brings the best out of Sanderson; because it is his and our last chance ... "The End."

You have to understand that BS was a fan of Jordan's for a reason. Trying to live up to his name is extremely hard and he is doing his best job possible in trying to get everything done perfectly. He also is writing multiple books along this, which RJ never had to do, I think.

Overall, I've enjoyed the last two books. Criticizing a few things doesn't detract from the overall pleasure of reading the books and knowing that fans will get the ending they've been waiting for.

So, I hope that AMoL brings the best out of Sanderson; because it is his and our last chance ... "The End."

Okay, sorry, I misread you originally and thought you meant it was his last chance before you blame him for ruining WoT instead of its the last book so last chance to get it just right. I fully agree with you then and will add my own concordant amen.

Archived