DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

what if matt dies in the first chapters of amoll?

bobarose

why does matt survive at all?

tom doherty

BIGGIE! The Seanchan will not be wrapped up by Tarmon Gai'don, and the three "outrigger" novels Robert Jordan wanted to do would be Mat and Tuon going back over to Seanchan and tying that up. And, before you ask, no one has even thought about whether or not Brandon will write those as well, along with Harriet, but in the Team Jordan Panel, it was said that they haven't ruled it out, either. Tom did say he has the contract for these novels already and intends on seeing them safely to our hands.

RJ

So there you have it. Oh, finishing A Memory of Light, of course, and getting started on Mat and Tuon, and some others, five to ten years after the Last Battle. Those go without saying. Not a bad plan for the coming year, eh?

Interview: Apr 22nd, 2009

JordanCon 2009: The Report of DOOM - Leigh Butler (Verbatim)

Leigh Butler

Annnyway. Other stuff in the panel: during the Q&A, someone asked if they planned to release one giant set of the entire series once it was done, which earned a laugh, and Harriet grinned and said they would sell it in "a vintage Louis Vuitton steamer trunk". Naturally, someone in the audience called out that they would totally buy that. Of particular interest was the revelation from Tom that the "outrigger novels" that Jordan had long ago planned to do would have been a trilogy about the Seanchan, with Mat and Tuon going back to her homeland to deal with the fallout there. Which is... really interesting. I'm kind of uncertain about it in practice (I would worry about it being anticlimactic, for one thing), but it's an intriguing idea.

Tom Doherty

Tom loved Brandon’s book Elantris and liked Mistborn even more. While Jim was originally against anyone else writing Wheel of Time books, toward the end of his life he became convinced that since he would not be able to finish the last book, someone else needed to. Tom calls The Wheel of Time a series that “will be read for generations,” and he says, “We’ll be proud of Brandon’s work going forward.” Tom mentions that Jim also planned to eventually write some books taking place about 10 years after A Memory of Light that would mostly focus on Mat and Tuon [the books known as the outrigger novels].

tom doherty

BIGGIE! The Seanchan will not be wrapped up by Tarmon Gai'don, and the three "outrigger" novels Robert Jordan wanted to do would be Mat and Tuon going back over to Seanchan and tying that up. And, before you ask, no one has even thought about whether or not Brandon will write those as well, along with Harriet, but in the Team Jordan Panel, it was said that they haven't ruled it out, either. Tom did say he has the contract for these novels already and intends on seeing them safely to our hands.

RJ

So there you have it. Oh, finishing A Memory of Light, of course, and getting started on Mat and Tuon, and some others, five to ten years after the Last Battle. Those go without saying. Not a bad plan for the coming year, eh?

Leigh Butler

Annnyway. Other stuff in the panel: during the Q&A, someone asked if they planned to release one giant set of the entire series once it was done, which earned a laugh, and Harriet grinned and said they would sell it in "a vintage Louis Vuitton steamer trunk". Naturally, someone in the audience called out that they would totally buy that. Of particular interest was the revelation from Tom that the "outrigger novels" that Jordan had long ago planned to do would have been a trilogy about the Seanchan, with Mat and Tuon going back to her homeland to deal with the fallout there. Which is... really interesting. I'm kind of uncertain about it in practice (I would worry about it being anticlimactic, for one thing), but it's an intriguing idea.

Tom Doherty

Tom loved Brandon’s book Elantris and liked Mistborn even more. While Jim was originally against anyone else writing Wheel of Time books, toward the end of his life he became convinced that since he would not be able to finish the last book, someone else needed to. Tom calls The Wheel of Time a series that “will be read for generations,” and he says, “We’ll be proud of Brandon’s work going forward.” Tom mentions that Jim also planned to eventually write some books taking place about 10 years after A Memory of Light that would mostly focus on Mat and Tuon [the books known as the outrigger novels].

tom doherty

RJ

Leigh Butler

Tom Doherty

matts death or perrins death in th first half of AMOL would make the book so much better.rands death will go along with matts or perrins

Why are you keep going on about Mat dying? You know as does everyone else he does not die. Perrin is unlikely as well, certainly early on, he may die later, but I doubt RJ would kill off two of them.

I'd start to wonder if the idiots at Bioware had somehow taken over the writing. Maybe Starchild will appear and give Rand three eerily similar options in which the Dark One's prison explodes in a flash of red, green or blue light and all Rand's friends mysteriously end up stranded on the Isle of the Madmen.

Mat survives, we know this for a fact...

Mat has died already, we know this for a fact...

Correct but...

sur·vive (sschwa.gifr-vimacr.gifvprime.gif)

v. sur·vived, sur·viv·ing, sur·vives

v.intr.

1. To remain alive or in existence.

2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere

3. To remain functional or usable:

I'd start to wonder if the idiots at Bioware had somehow taken over the writing. Maybe Starchild will appear and give Rand three eerily similar options in which the Dark One's prison explodes in a flash of red, green or blue light and all Rand's friends mysteriously end up stranded on the Isle of the Madmen.

Just so long as each of those options, involve genocide, genetic purity, or mental slavery, I am all for it.

Correct but...

v.intr.

Thank you for educating me, but the definition of the word survive has nothing to do with Mat dying.

You are missing the point. When people say he might die at the start of AMoL you are assuming they think he wont be back. Yes, he has to be alive at the end. But that doesnt in any way shape or form outrule him dying in the book.

Its like if Rand died, and he wasnt anywhere near black rocks. People would go crazy unless they actually thought for a minute that things can still happen (or unhappen) after. Mat could die a hundred times in AMoL, all that really matters is he is alive at the end.

Correct but...

v.intr.

Thank you for educating me, but the definition of the word survive has nothing to do with Mat dying.

You are missing the point. When people say he might die at the start of AMoL you are assuming they think he wont be back. Yes, he has to be alive at the end. But that doesnt in any way shape or form outrule him dying in the book.

Its like if Rand died, and he wasnt anywhere near black rocks. People would go crazy unless they actually thought for a minute that things can still happen (or unhappen) after. Mat could die a hundred times in AMoL, all that really matters is he is alive at the end.

LOL, I am missing the point? Lot's of words to say he survives...which was my point. Look back to post #3. My meaning was why would anyone be upset if he dies in the first part of the AMoL if we know he survives.

how mad would you be if he died in the first part of AMOL? would you put down the book and cry?would you sream bloody murder aloud?would you accept his fate?

I would say that the ending of a 3-decade saga is disappointing in a major way!

Archived