DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's the deal with Moiraine???

mewy79

Ok, so we know that according to Min’s viewing that Rand is doomed to fail in the last battle if he does not have “a woman dead and gone”. We knew that this was referring to Moiraine and at the time was a hint that she still lived just waiting on Matt, Thom and Noel to rescue her.

Now that she has been rescued what role do you think she will have in the last battle???

Do you think it will have anything to do with the angreal she got from the Tower of Ghenjei, or will it have something to do with the remaining to demands from the Finn’s?

I belive she knows something about how to seal the bore or atleast something important that rand needs to know. Maybe she is to be the third woman with rand when he seals it. Cant wait to find out :)

Why couln't she just ask,the finns to patch the bore for her?

I know, it's a subject that touches on the shadow.

Back ontopic, I think she will be part of the callandor link, and she might be important to keep Rand Zen. The only threat to that could be due to lanfear/mierin.

Why couln't she just ask,the finns to patch the bore for her?

I know, it's a subject that touches on the shadow.

Back ontopic, I think she will be part of the callandor link, and she might be important to keep Rand Zen. The only threat to that could be due to lanfear/mierin.

I doubt the Finns could do it, or even if they would care enough. I don't think that they have the ability to affect "Rand's world" directly, they can only give personal gifts and powers, within the limits of the ToG. Now, giving her the information or a means to seal the bore is a possibility, but as you said, questions relating to the Shadow do not go down well with them .

I think Moiraine will be important for various reasons, not just one specific task. Although I fear that she will not meet up with everyone till the very end, which would be really annoying, but I know lots of stories that do that.

But if she meets up with everyone relatively early, before the FoM is done, she will have several roles.

1. Giving Rand peace of mind and hope (He says he gave up hope after she died, and it looks like it will be a big part in resisting the DO, as we see hints of this in the prologue PoV)

2. Help reconcile and unite the Light's forces at FoM. Egwene will listen to Moiraine if anyone, as will Rand, Mat, Perrin, Nynaeve probably even Cadsuane would respect her. And she is a legend in the White Tower after having been the only AS the Dragon Reborn ever trusted and defeating Bel'al and Lanfear.

3. Would be helpful with Lan, maybe he won't just throw his life away so easily when he finds her alive.

4. Egwene, Elayne, Mat, Perrin and Aviendha, Aes Sedai and Ashaman all had their own preparations, necessary ones, I am not saying they did anything wrong, but they never actually think about how Rand will defeat the DO.

Nynaeve has thought about it in small amounts, Cadsuane and Min have been the best with regards to this, they have been researching a fair amount, but even still, it has only been relatively recently, while dealing with other things. Moiraine however, has dedicated years on the subject both before and after finding the boys. Rand also has LTT knowledge now, they would hold a sweet conference on coming up with a plan.

5. Something to do with Lanfear again, what with the Trap that is in place (the only question is whether Lanfear is in on it, or is unwilling bait)

Edit: Even if she is just Team Light's Mascot. Just having her around is a big boost of morale, all the TR gang, Lan, Thom etc.. will be much more confident just having her around, she was always calm, and they all felt they could depend on her, even if they complained about not being able to trust Aes Sedai, I think they all realise they trusted her.

I bet her task will be to lay it down on all the upstart know-it-alls like Eqwene and company so they stop fighting against the Dragon and start working with him.

Sigh. I wonder some time what books people are even reading? Questioning him in that meeting and planning a future discussion on the need to break the seals is a far cry from working against him.

ToM

The words were those of a madman, but they were spoken evenly. She looked at him, and remembered the youth that he had been. The earnest young man. Not solemn like Perrin, but not wild like Mat. Solid, straightforward. The type of man you could trust with anything.

Even the fate of the world.

ToM

Obliquely, she realized what she was doing. She was using Rand's proclamation as a beacon by which to gather and tie the monarchs to the White Tower. They would come to support her arguments against breaking the seals. But in the end, they would serve humankind in the Last Battle.

Where would we be after all if LPD had unquestioningly followed LTT's flawed plan? Rand is no tyrant and we have already seen what happens when he ignores the advice of those around him.

See sig.

that would be epic, and epic fore-shadowing

Agreed. It comes from TEOTW, "Choices". Moiraine took out Lanfear in TFOH, "Choices". And RJ said that Moiraine's Aelfinn Q&A were "a big-time RAFO". Most people think she is going to tell him how to seal the Bore or something, but how lame is that?

Also, people seem to expect her to have a confrontation with Cadsuane, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cadsuane goes out in the Sorliea confrontation before Moiraine even shows up.

I agree with Terez's idea.

I know this. If her and Rand don't reunite until late in the book, I am going to be disappointed. Their reunion is something that I have looked forward to for a long time. My expectations of the moment are so high that I will likely be disappointed, but it better be somethign epic.

I think he already knows how to seal the bore. He knew how to seal it in the age of legends but the women wouldn't help. Something Mat said at the end of TOM. Something like I think She is the real hero of the story. That has me thinking she will play a major role at the pit of doom. Save rand, keep him sane something like that. I also think Lanfear may be involved.

See sig.

that would be epic, and epic fore-shadowing

Agreed. It comes from TEOTW, "Choices". Moiraine took out Lanfear in TFOH, "Choices". And RJ said that Moiraine's Aelfinn Q&A were "a big-time RAFO". Most people think she is going to tell him how to seal the Bore or something, but how lame is that?

Also, people seem to expect her to have a confrontation with Cadsuane, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cadsuane goes out in the Sorliea confrontation before Moiraine even shows up.

Yeah loved that part in the book (your sig) both times I have read it. Moiraine rocks!

What about rand and Moridin do the body switch thing. Moiraine doesn't know they are linked and she sees Rand's body being taken over by the Dark One, so she kills him. This in fact kills Moridin since Rand's soul has switched to Moridin's body.

Ok, so we know that according to Min’s viewing that Rand is doomed to fail in the last battle if he does not have “a woman dead and gone”. We knew that this was referring to Moiraine and at the time was a hint that she still lived just waiting on Matt, Thom and Noel to rescue her.

Now that she has been rescued what role do you think she will have in the last battle???

Do you think it will have anything to do with the angreal she got from the Tower of Ghenjei, or will it have something to do with the remaining to demands from the Finn’s?

I have big expectations for Moiraine.

I think Rand will confide in her that he is linked to Ishamael and used the True Power. Moiraine will speculate that their threads are becoming one, she'll learn of how blackened Rand was in TGS, and she'll take it upon herself to prepare him for the endgame, tell him how to deal with Moridin, and be ready to deal with him if he turns evil.

She will ask him if hes bonded to anyone, she learns of Alanna and deduces that the Forsaken (Graendal) are going to attack Alanna to get at him. So Moiraine sets up a plan of her own; she tells Rand about the Warder bond and possible ways to counter personality transferal if it happens again, then in secret she will go to Alanna. Being free of the Oaths she will lie, saying the Shadow are going to kill her, IT WILL HAPPEN. So pass me the bond to Rand NOW. Alanna passes the bond. Graendal attacks, expecting Alanna to be alone, but Moiraine quickdraws her angreal and balefres Graendal, having saved Alanna yet keeping the bond to Rand for herself; if Rand were to turn evil again, he would need an experienced Aes Sedai to deal with him, she thinks to herself. She would influence his personality through the Warder bond in his darkest moments.

If he had the women in the AoL saidin and saidar would've been tainted. I think the sealing involves the true power. Now that I think the woman dead and gone I believe is Lanfear. She actually died, doesn't really matter how, and she is the only one living who drilled the bore.

I think that Moiraine will help at FoM first. I think that she will come in while everyone else is fighting and everyone will trust her. After that she will help Rand with Callandor.

But if she meets up with everyone relatively early, before the FoM is done, she will have several roles.

1. Giving Rand peace of mind and hope

2. Help reconcile and unite the Light's forces at FoM. Egwene will listen to Moiraine if anyone, as will Rand, Mat, Perrin, Nynaeve probably even Cadsuane would respect her. And she is a legend in the White Tower after having been the only AS the Dragon Reborn ever trusted and defeating Bel'al and Lanfear....

4. ... Moiraine however, has dedicated years on the subject both before and after finding the boys. Rand also has LTT knowledge now, they would hold a sweet conference on coming up with a plan.

I think these will be the key things, plus she's a leading candidate for linking with Rand and Nynaeve through Calandor. Even with that, I think helping Rand find absolution will be one of her biggest roles - it may even play into helping Nynaeve remove the taint from his mind.

Convincing Egwene not to play spoiler will be pretty important too, and I can't imagine anyone else likely to do it (I can imagine Perrin settling the argument by walking up with his big new hammer and just smashing the seals, though :rolleyes: ).

I don't think Moiraine has excellent intel from the aelfinn: so far we only know part of one of her answers, which is about Thom, but its implied that she doesn't have any information about what would happen in the world after she fought Lanfear:

"You see, I do not know what happens in the world after, except perhaps for one small thing which does not concern you."

- Moiraine's letter to Rand, LoC

Its pretty clear that the 'small thing' relates to Thom. She seems to know she'll marry him before she goes to the aelfinn, which she does in ch15 of tSR, but she gets more information about him from them:

"I could wager I know the face of the man I will marry better than either of you knows that of your future husband."

- Moirane to Egwene and Elayne (tSR, ch6)

"A quiet life would kill you, I think." Sounding distinctly amused, she busied herself rearranging the folds of her skirt with small, slender hands. He had the impression she was hiding a smile. "Tanchico will not, however. I guarantee that, and by the First Oath, you know it for truth."

- Moiraine to Thom (tSR, ch17)

I guess she asked them something about her future with Thom, since she goes and asks him to go with Elayne and Nynaeve to Tanchico two chapters after asking the aelfinns her questions, and gives him that assurance about his safety.

As for what other intel she might have gathered, I don't know. She only came out of the Tower of Ghenji with one object (the angreal) so I don't know what other two things she was given. Its possible that they were knowledge.

Presumably the first thing she's going to do is Travel with Matt back to the Band, which will be in the middle of fighting for Camelyn (hopefully his gateway will still be available), so she may join that fight before going to the Field of Merrilor.

I imagine with the Band going into battle, one of the first things Talmanes will do is send for Mat via gateway.

Too bad Moiraine got taken out before the rediscovery of gateways otherwise she could make one herself. She does know skimming though, so why could she not use that?

I imagine with the Band going into battle, one of the first things Talmanes will do is send for Mat via gateway.

Too bad Moiraine got taken out before the rediscovery of gateways otherwise she could make one herself. She does know skimming though, so why could she not use that?

since when does she know skimming?

My mistake, I thought she skimmed with Rand but now I think on it.... not so much.

if she had skimmed with rand, it wouldnt have realy mattered. she wouldn't see the weaves, and if she could she would likely kill herself trying to duplicate it with saidar.

• 2 weeks later...

Moiraine better do something epic because I have missed her greatly over the past 8,000 pages. Hopefully it isn't something boring like giving information on how to seal the Bore. I wouldn't mind if that is part of what she did but after that she better do some awesome things.

Archived