DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Improve the Olympics

Majsju

Noone with even the slightest interest in sports can have missed that we are just a few months away from the 2012 summer olympics in London. But, as fun as the olympics is, it can always be better, right?

So, lets brainstorm how they could improve the games.

1. Fencing. take away all that safety stuff, and have the bouts decided by first blood.

2. High jump & pole vault. replace the bar with barbed wire.

3. Archery. Living targets, preferably those who compete in Walk.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to ruin a topic that was clearly for fun, but I find the first three responses to be on the offensive side.

I suppose it depends in part upon whether you mean actual little persons or were referencing the LotR movies, the latter of which just occurred to me. My first impression was the former, and I perceived it as having fun at the expense of an a group routinely discriminated against.

Wow, I'm in a boring and serious mindset today.

If we're going for macabre twists on traditional Olympic games, live targets for the javelin and shotput would be great as well.

-Gymnasts have to perform over a ditch filled with pointy spikes.

-All water sports now have to be done in blooded water with hungry sharks

-MMA fighting

• 2 weeks later...

Basketball: in the mid-80s, George Carlin did a routine about sports in which he suggested putting a large firepit at center-court, and awarding 25 points if you bounce the ball off an opponent's head and into the basket. I would enjoy watching this.

There is a kind of archery event at competitions, I believe it is called a clout shoot, where the archers shoot at a target at extreme long distance range and the targets are made out of Styrofoam.

Since the Olympics is being held in England I've thought it would be funny if said targets were 15th century French Knights, the the archers could re live the Battle of Agincourt from the winner's perspective.

Archived