DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The fallout of the Damane being free

mlva103

This may have been picked over at great length somewhere else but i could not find it. The Damane will have to be freed before the end of the series. Jordan/Sanderson couldn't end the series with a whole group of people enslaved. Based on the Pillars at the end of TOM I think Avienda will play a major role in this. Assuming that they will be freed what will the fallout be? Elaida will be back and she doesn't seem to have been broken by the collar. Will she claim that she still has a right to the Aryrlin seat? What kind of Chaos will this cause in the tower? Will they not be freed till after the last battle? Who will rehabilitate them the tower or the empire? So any thoughts.

Given Jim intended to write a whole outrigger trilogy based around Mat and Fortuona in Seanchan, it's entirely possible that the damane may still be leashed prior to the end of the main series.

I suspect we will see gestures toward that end--Fortuona may begin to channel, or at least admit that the damane need to be freed--but I doubt we will see full emancipation before the end of the series.

And it would not matter if Elaida came back and claimed she was still the in charge of the tower.

She was a wreck and every Aes Sedai on both sides of the split know this.

The Reds would probably just take her out themselves since she gave them such a black eye.

Like Egwene or not she has already proven to be a far better Amyrlin.

Given Jim intended to write a whole outrigger trilogy based around Mat and Fortuona in Seanchan, it's entirely possible that the damane may still be leashed prior to the end of the main series.

I suspect we will see gestures toward that end--Fortuona may begin to channel, or at least admit that the damane need to be freed--but I doubt we will see full emancipation before the end of the series.

Who is Jim?

Also to the OP, Elida would have no claim. Or at least less of one that Suian. But I do think if she were freed, she'd totally go rogue and need to be hunted down like an animal. She wasn't the sanest of people to begin with. Slavery will not sit with her well.

Who is Jim?

Also to the OP, Elida would have no claim. Or at least less of one that Suian. But I do think if she were freed, she'd totally go rogue and need to be hunted down like an animal. She wasn't the sanest of people to begin with. Slavery will not sit with her well.

This has me thinking. Slavery would not sit well with her also if she is not giving the power she thinks she deserves. That could turn her black. Or even she could even become the first modern chosen. She does share a lot of the traits the chosen have.

Who is Jim?

Jim's Robert Jordan. His real name is James Rigney. Sorry, wasn't trying to name drop, just lost track of where I was.

the seanchan i think will probably end up losing the damane once they are freed and i would assume the suldam will be the ones that stick around and become a benefit to their empire...as far as elaida is concerned, she was a disaster and you need only look as far as siuan to see a precedence set as to whether she will have any claim to the seat again...thats how i see it anyways, the tower needs stability, and the amyrlin seat getting tossed around that much in so short a time wouldnt be wise

Funny hunch, I think Fortuona can break Elaida and make her as loyal as Meyln with a mixture of pain and pleasure through the a'dam. If the Seanchan don't alter their damane philosophy, I think that Elaida, like Galina and Liandrin, is history. She'll be making gateways and skylights as well as healing for a till her appointed time comes.

The damane are more than simply chained captives, they are women raised in a culture and then indoctronated (read: brainwashed) into a closed society to believe that they are fully dangerous and MUST be leashed for not only their own protection from themselves but from each other and for the protection of everyone else including the entire Empire. The damane are the foundation of the Empire; what the entire power structure of the Emperes is based on and the heavy artilary of the Empire's war machine. No one at all versed in modern military theory would consider going to war without the "Queen of Battle" (artilary) to back them up. Same with Seanchan generals; would they even have an order of battle without their nessessary damane back up?

We've seen that it is no simple thing to simply take an a'dam off a damane and say "hey, you're free". They resist with everything they have and with a weaponized channeler that can go under the category of a VERY BAD THING. There really isnt time to free the damane. Not as a whole, it would take too long to deprogram them all. Maybe the captured Aiel wise ones could be released, hopefuly they have maintained their pressence of will enough to be released, and hopefuly Rand would even force the issue as he imposes the Dragon's Peace. Basicly, freeing that many brainwashed tools of war at once would be a huge drain of resources and a huge blow to the culture of Seanchan. Just before Tarmon Gaidon that would also go under the category of a very bad thing.

But one thing - the seanchan about worship their Empress as a goddess. If Fortuona 'd come to her senses, and tells.them they are just normal humans with an extra ability that could be used by the light, than I think most of them would be fine within a week.

She would find herself assassinated and there will be a new emperor/empress. It wont happen straight away, you must reprogram over a long time. (basically stop taking new damane but initially you would have to hide them away) Seanchan during its time as an empire has been extremely bloody, constant assassinations and rebellion.

Surely breaking up Seanchan society is part of the intention behind freeing damane? Egwene, Elayne and Rand all intuit that the Empire will crumble if Seanchan learn that suldam=damane.

dont the seanchan themselves state that the damane are the cornerstone of the seanchan empire

Archived