DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Dark One acted too soon

Saluki

The Great Lord acted too soon. He should have waited for Rand to finish killing Min before granting him access to the True Power. Perhaps the pain of her death may have given Rand's journey towards the Shadow the extra fuel it needed to be complete.

Unless, of course, it was the Creator Himself who granted the access, in which case the timing of it would make a little more sense to me. If Rand had killed Min, he may not have needed any more temptation.

In either case, it seems reasonable that if Min had died, Rand al'Thor would be finished and the DO would win. This victory was delayed, if not jeopardized, by Rand's access to the TP. Semirhage had just been visited by the Hand of the Dark, and her orders sounded like they had been specific about taking Rand to Shayol Ghul. Her plan was to obey the DO instead of serving her own interests. This can be seen in her surprise when the Domination Band is destroyed. She was genuinely surprised, and thought that the DO was betraying her.

I think that Rand's ability with the TP came from a rare intervention by the Creator. It is said that access can only be had through the DO. If there is any other possible way to the TP, then the Creator would make sense. The Dark One has been playing an active role the entire time, and this event with Rand being collared may have been just as potentially disasterous as the event on Dragonmount. Rand had the aura of darkness afterward. It is said that this may be an effect of the TP ability, but it turned to an aura of light after Dragonmount. Perhaps the side effects of True Power usage reflect the state within the wielder, or his intention of how to use it. What do you think Rand's saa will look like? Flecks of darkness? Nay. Flecks of light! By the end of the Last Battle, the saa will be racing so fast to make his eyes globes of light.

I think that Rand's ability with the TP came from a rare intervention by the Creator. It is said that access can only be had through the DO.

That is why most people assume he accessed the TP through his link with Moridin. As for the Creator...

Interview: Oct 12th, 1996

ACOS Signing Report - Michael Martin (Paraphrased)

Question

The Creator's "Inability" To Act On His Creation

Having encountered a similar "theology" in Donaldson's Covenant series, I have been quite curious why the Creator can't act on His own world. It didn't seem to make sense, except as a plot device.

Robert Jordan

RJ answered this question. His thesis was this: A perfect Creator should create a perfect creation. To act, miraculously or no, on this world, would be tantamount to acknowledging imperfection in Himself. So, when humanity screwed things up, they've been left on their own to "patch" things up. :-)

Interview: Jan 18th, 2003

COT Signing Report - Tallis (Paraphrased)

Robert Jordan

Rand has no direct connection with the Creator. The Creator is completely removed from the world; aside from...creating...the Pattern, he does nothing else whatsoever to influence anything.

QUESTION

But the Creator does not interfere!

ROBERT JORDAN

The Creator does not interfere, but there is clear evidence of the theological doctrine.

Interview: Sep, 1996

SFX Magazine Interview (Paraphrased)

Robert Jordan

Thirdly, in defeating the Dark One, the good guys can expect absolutely no help off the Creator, and no miracles will occur.

Interview: Jun 17th, 1995

East of the Sun Interview - Helena Lofgren (Paraphrased)

Robert Jordan

Another point he pressed was that "no one's going to rescue you", there are not going to happen any miracles. The Creator shaped the world and set the rules, but does not interfere. Humankind messed things up, and have to fix it too, as well as finding the truth themselves.

Personally I doubt the Dark One knew the exact circumstaces of why Rand was reaching for the True Power. The only knowledge I expect he would have of events I expect is that Rand was in some desperate situation and was reaching for the True Power. The Dark One then had a choice of; no I won't let him use it, Semirhage should be bringing him too me very soon, or yes I'll let my enemy use this pwer which should corrupt him. Thus completing his descent. I imagine he thought that Rand would find the seductiveness of the True Power to much to resist. It's also quite probable that he realised allowing Rand to use the True Power would result in Semirhage's death. The loss of a tool to achieve the goal of rand being turned would not have cost him a seconds thought though I would wager.

The other possibility of course is that he somehow reached for it through Moridin. Though I doubt this is actully the case. Maybe his ability to sense it came through Moridin, but reaching for it and using it was purely his own- with the Dark One's knowledge and consent. If he did reach for it through Moridin though this raises a Question, did the Dark One know it was Rand, not Moridin using the True Power and has Moridin revealed to his master that Rand can do this.

I imagine he thought that Rand would find the seductiveness of the True Power to much to resist

It almost was...that's why he took to carrying the access key around, so that he would simply flood himself with OP to equal the ecastasy of the TP.

As mentioned, it seems most likely it was an effect of his link with Moridin.

I think the DO did set it up. His intentions were never to have him kill Min, but solely to use the TP.

The DO is not human, he doesn't think like one. Min's life or death would be inconsequential. His goal was to get Rand to use the TP.

It was Semirhage who was forcing Rand to kill Min.

The DO does not see everything that happens in the world, he has his sources, but he is not omnipresent, he would not have been able to watch Rand like he was watching a movie. Access to the TP was available at his most desperate moment. The DO would not have known what exactly was happening, only that it provided the best chance to get Rand to use the TP.

Archived