DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

the runaway wind finder apprentice and the Atha'an Miere...

Anajon

...Atha'an Miere role in the last book.

Ok I love the Atha'an Miere - they are just great people but I am wondering about some lose ends.

1. Talaan the apprentice who ran away with Merilille, will she (they) have a role to play, will we see them again, any connection to bringing down Elida or anything else that will happen in the tower soon, or will they join the rebels?

2. Then what role have they to play in general - it can't be just providing food and stuff along the cost, they are powerful channeler, crafty seaman, and strong headed people, they had a prophesy about Rand...

3.last why are they acquiring all that land in Andor and else where?

sure but what is the significance of it, if any - but her character did get quite a bit of attention, she is the strongest among the apprentice, all her female relatives can channel...

So is the whole failure to find out about the windfinders and the genetics of channelling (please not another discussion on that, but it somehow does seem to be genetic at least with the windfinders)so will this all be lead at the feet of Elaida and bring her down, I think she got enough problems already with out this. So what will Talaan do - why is she in the books and why is she run a way - from RJ point of view not hers.

Theories please!

I agree that they will not deliberately go to Elaida,,, and given her deep desire to go to the WT she will probibly go to the Rebels,,, is there a chance she is a Dark Friend, or even a Foresaken in disguise,,, the only ones who could reveal her as a fake would be the Atha'an Miere or Sea Folk, it could also be that her lover Merilille is also a DF, I do not know,,, or it may be a side issue that has no main purpose...

It is indeed possible that Talaan is dead. Careane was trying to drive channelers out of the palace, and was killing them with the intention that it be realised that they had died--the fact that people didn't doesn't mean anything.

The Windfinders, though, are another issue. They are all much stronger in the power then Careane (they were chosen for their strength when the Bowl was used) and would not have trusted an Aes Sedai. Attacking them would have been hard. So how to get rid of them to provide a path through the palace to Elayne... simple, break the Bargain. Make it look like the Aes sEdai had run off with the apprentice who meant so much to the Atha'an Miere.

First I don't think that Talaan or Merille are dead. Talaan wanted to become a novice, and Merille, uderstandably, did not like her time with the Sea'Folk. I believe that they will get to Tar'Valon shortly after the dust has settled from the Seanchan, and reunification, bringing tales of the bargin, causing Egwene new problems with the Hall.

I'm not sure of the exact wording of the agreement that Elayne and Nynaeve made, or exactly What Merrille agreed to when she agreed to be the first teacher, but assuming that she didn't flat out break her word, and thereby prove herself BA, could it be that she thought that she would be a more effective teacher as AS to novice instead of shorebound teacher to windfinder? If so, Merrille would be bound by the three oaths and her interpretation of her role as a teacher to spirit Talene away and teach her. Incidently, does anyone know exactly how many seafolk Aes Sedai there are? It would seem a simple solution to the bargain problem for Egwene to release the seafolk aes sedai back to the windfinders now that their secret is out, and the seafolk don't need to pretend to be horrible channelers any more.

yes I also remember them working in the 13th division of the library. Here is quote from the encycolpedia:

“The Library is divided into twelve Depositories each dedicated to a different branch of knowledge. There is also a secret Thirteenth Depository that houses the White Tower secret records. She runs into one of the librarians, Zemaille of the Brown Ajah. She consoles Alviarin who wonders why. Aiden, another Brown sister, is nearby so Alviarin quickly leaves. The two of them and Nyein were Sea Folk and normally stay on the upper levels where the secret records are kept.â€

The first two sisters that Alviarin runs into after coming back from Tremalking (where the mass suicide of the Amyar might be happening already) are seafolk sisters. Wondering if that is significant? – Also why do the sea folk sisters all choose to work in the secret record division?

I don't know what Aes Sadei xD means so if I'm repeating I apoligize but think Luckers and imrathill are both right. For one thing they could tell that the invincible tower isn't so invincible, that Ishamael's/Baalzaman's forces breached the walls and Guare Amalesan(sp), maybe forgetting a few. Two Amarlyns were stilled, one for helping to destroy Manetheran for jealousy and one for trying to use artur Hawkwing, no one may know it but allowing Ishamael to control Hawkwing is also a no no.

Incidentally, does anyone know if anyone in Randland knew that Ishamael was behind the Trolloc Wars and controlled Artur Hawkwing besides the three taveren.

If the Athan'Miere sisters went back to the other seafolk it would be a disaster. As it is the Athan'Miere don't respect and bully Aes Sadei now, I can't imagine what would happen other than catastrophic.

The bargin said that any of the Sea Folk who went to the WT as part of the "sacrifice" could return. Sidenote, those three are the chief librarians so they know allthe AS secrets. But the bargin never said any Sea Folk girl couldn't go to the WT on her own. Nor did the bargin say the AS teachers couldn't recruit for the tower.

I don't think they are dead either. Merilille was picked to be the first teacher under 'the bargain' - which she found rather trying. She could see leaving with Talaan as a way of meeting her obligation as a teahcer but also a way out.

I think that Talaan will have a further part to play given her strength but this would be as a part of the AS contingent in the Last Battle.

Archived