DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene Addtional Oath...?

The 3 oaths already make Aes Sedai useless battle damane. They are mostly used for other weaves (healing, Traveling, etc) and are leashed on principle.

Yup and to add to that to that no matter how many oaths they take, every AS collared is till one that can not be used against the Empire. It's a win regardless for the Seanchan.

If I was in control of a damane who had that restriction - I would basically beat them until they want to channel to prevent the beatings. In the same way I would make them battle with the power somewhat like this (assuming I had enough Aes Sedai damane)

1) tell damane to kill someone

2) damane doesn't

3) kill damane

4) move onto next Aes Sedai damane

they will eventually learn that in order they have to channel as "the last defense of their life". you could similarly go through their warders too and so a green with 3 warders would get 3 chances to channel as they are told to before their own life is at risk. I know this is all very crass but I believe it would be how the Suldam would work to get the job done

If I was in control of a damane who had that restriction - I would basically beat them until they want to channel to prevent the beatings. In the same way I would make them battle with the power somewhat like this (assuming I had enough Aes Sedai damane)

1) tell damane to kill someone

2) damane doesn't

3) kill damane

4) move onto next Aes Sedai damane

they will eventually learn that in order they have to channel as "the last defense of their life". you could similarly go through their warders too and so a green with 3 warders would get 3 chances to channel as they are told to before their own life is at risk. I know this is all very crass but I believe it would be how the Suldam would work to get the job done

Or you could simply have "Battle Damane" and "Healing Damane" without all the wasted effort. That way, you don't lose as many soldiers during battles.

i hadn't thought about it, but an aes sedai can use the power as a weapon in defense of her own life. if she thinks that she will die if she doesn't use it as a weapon, then she can. so i suppose beating the crap out of her and basicly turning her into an animal who attacks when you say "sic" would avoid the oaths. it is in defense of her own life, there is no threat of death.

would like to mention it is a very aes'sedai answer, to use the power in defense of your quality of life as much as in defense of your mortality.

I do not think that oaths quite work that way you have to be in clear and present danger to be able to power. If someone wearing a bracelet of adam tries to kill you you will not be able to channel whether you are restricted by oaths or not and Seanchan have definite aversion to be healed by power. Again it was in one of PoVs where a damane tells she can heal and Tuon says who would want to be touched by power or some such. Again original quote will be much appreciated.

Tuon's actually quite enthusiastic about Healing. She claims that her Mylen (one of the captured Aes Sedai) knows it and that she's taught it to all her damane. It was her Deathwatch Guard Karede, and his batman Ajimbura that expressed those reservations, as well as Tylee and her second. Though the Seanchan do indeed in general have an aversion to the One Power, Tuon seems to consider that a superstition.

Could Egwene another oath in order to prevent the Seanchan from using them as damane like : I will not vhannel against the will or something else...?

This has been debated before, and I think the general consensus was that yes, you can add another Oath that makes the captured channeler useless as damane ("I swear never to use the Power to aid the Seanchan, whether in battle or by providing Healing"), but:

1. That would likely lead to them (at least the first few) being tortured more while the Seanchan try to figure out why the new damane are so useless and what the limits are.

2. It would not discourage the Seanchan from taking any more damane since they'd still want to neutralize enemy combatants. The captured Aes Sedai would probably end up like Liandrin instead.

3. If the captured Aes Sedai were prevented from using the Power, everyone would end up suicidally depressed since it'd be just like being stilled.

4. Also, given what we know of the Oath Rod, a fourth Oath could shorten their lives even more. Maybe everyone would keel over at 150 instead of 300.

Archived