DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So what ever happened to that one Terengeal?

reson8

Yeah they nabbed in between the Great Hunt and the Dragon Reborn. Way back at the start... even if most the darkfriends aren't too bright, and even if the average Forsaken ranks on par with a stormtrooper in star wars; someone at least is smart enough to save something really useful until the last minute. A few other surprise gadgets didn't show up until the last book or two as well.

I have been wondering if it would work against all Taverin (spelling) the same way or if it might a have a unique and catastrophic affect against Mat who relies very much on his luck.

I have always had a nagging thought that these Dice are the cause of Mat's luck. The first time we ever hear about his luck (also the first POV chapter from Matt) comes the very chapter after the missing Tengreal are described by the wonder girls. In this chapter Mat actually makes a big deal of looking for his Dice Cup after waking up in the White Tower. I don't remember his Dice mentioned before or after this comment. He always seems to play dice, but he never mentions his own set again. This has always stuck me as strange.

I have no real proof, and cannot imagine how/why the BA would give Matt his luck. Maybe it wasnt stolen by the BA, just noticed as missing at the same time. Maybe someone else (Moraine/Verin seem to have motive, and a history of taking objects of power) took it previously and did something with it to give Matt his luck.

I have always had a nagging thought that these Dice are the cause of Mat's luck. The first time we ever hear about his luck (also the first POV chapter from Matt) comes the very chapter after the missing Tengreal are described by the wonder girls. In this chapter Mat actually makes a big deal of looking for his Dice Cup after waking up in the White Tower. I don't remember his Dice mentioned before or after this comment. He always seems to play dice, but he never mentions his own set again. This has always stuck me as strange.

I have no real proof, and cannot imagine how/why the BA would give Matt his luck. Maybe it wasnt stolen by the BA, just noticed as missing at the same time. Maybe someone else (Moraine/Verin seem to have motive, and a history of taking objects of power) took it previously and did something with it to give Matt his luck.

well not sure about the ter angreal but.....

He did loose a set in the Tower of Ghenji and Lamented the loss. This, however doesn't seem to have affected his luck because he found a pot and a rabbit by chance...

also the dice he missed in the dragon reborn couldn't have been part of the missing ter angreal- it was stolen long before he got there. I think they were probably just dice- a buddy of mine has a favorite grey die for his "wild" die. It is just a die but he thinks its lucky because he likes the color and gets lots of sixes on it. I would be more worried that his luck was in some way linked to the dagger from Shadar Logroth. Not likely but Fain hasn't ever been caught or killed and usually seems a step ahead of others....

The dice ter'angreal are not actually dice.

They are a carved cluster of six spotted dice joined at the corners about two inches across.

They also require channeling to make them warp chance.

Mat's luck is due from something else, possibly even of a more ominous nature.

What if these Dice were used while healing Matt from the dagger. There were several BA members present, Alvarian and Verin at least, and who knows what type of side effects would have happened. I remember a bunch of odd stuff happening during this scene, but nothing that comes to mind. I remember it was from one of the wonder girls points of view, and they were still pretty green at this point. Maybe something did happen, they just did not understand it at the time. I am grasping at straws now.

It just seems very odd that these dice were mentioned to change luck, and then right away we get a character POV of a person who has crazy luck. Luck that he himself does not remember having previously.

I do not remember him loosing his dice in the ToG. I will have to give that a reread.

Hmm, now that I remember that ter-angreal, it does seem ominous. Can't imagine they won't turn up at some point. And I really hadn't remembered that Mat gained his crazy luck at the same time the ter'angreal disappeared. That does seem strange, though maybe it was just RJ using chronology to foreshadow some eventual showdown between Mat and whoever has the ter'angreal. The whole nature of Mat's luck is strange anyway.

I think I remember someone on here saying that Matts Luck did in fact come from the Dagger.

Nope, that question got a RAFO. The closest think we have on the topic is RJ saying in a way it's true that Mat has "the Dark Ones own luck".

That ter'angreal would be particularly useful in a number of situations. Say, for instance, that you were one of the Forsaken and you took control of a group of the Black Ajah which had it. If you happened to send a couple of those Aes Sedai over to a city where there was a cache of other ter'angreal that you didn't know the exact location of, something like this that would increase their chance of making a lucky guess about what building to search in to find them would be quite beneficial.

It's too bad that a situation like that never came up where a cool device like this could have come in handy.

That ter'angreal would be particularly useful in a number of situations. Say, for instance, that you were one of the Forsaken and you took control of a group of the Black Ajah which had it. If you happened to send a couple of those Aes Sedai over to a city where there was a cache of other ter'angreal that you didn't know the exact location of, something like this that would increase their chance of making a lucky guess about what building to search in to find them would be quite beneficial.

It's too bad that a situation like that never came up where a cool device like this could have come in handy.

Nice theory. Problem is if Sammie had them they really didn't do him much good, did they? And, if he had them, either Rand has them now, or Graendal does, since they are the ones who got Sam's stash. Graendal's luck ran good for awhile, but she seemed to have rolled snake-eyes the last time we saw her.

Archived