DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Avendesora & Aviendha

csnyder

I had a weird passing thought that maybe Aviendha will make use of the fact that Avendesora is

in Rhuidean and take a branch with her as a part of a treaty for peace with the Seanchan.

As omen-obsessed as the Seanchan are, I hardly think they could pull a Laman and do anything to

break that treaty. As far as the freeing of the Shaido damane being a part of that treaty,

for despite all the other Aiel's current attitude toward the Shaido clearly it becomes a base

issue for them to have an all-out war with the Seanchan, it is difficult to say.

Any thoughts?

In Avi's Days of Future Past vision it was specificaly mentioned that Rand bowed to the Seanchan Emperess and left the Aiel to teir own devices. This was (I think, I've complained about BS's incoherent timeline issues before [not knocking Sanderson, but he doesnt exactly think in a straight line]) before Rand's epifany in VoG. This is the sort of thing that sounds an aweful lot like a Pattern crying out for help, to try to make what shouldhappen, happen. Avi's vision did see a victory for the Light, but not nessessarily the best of all possible outcomes, and the usual method of the Pattern correcting itself, the 3 ta'verin, 2 of them aren't in a position to do anything about it and Rand has aparently taking manual control of his on tav'verin abilities.

I think Avi is going to make a last-second save of the Seanchan negotiations. I like the idea of the avendesora cutting as gift, but I think Rand's gift of Hawkwing's own sword Justice is going to be enough to bring them on bord. She'll probably also inform Rand that if he so much as tries to tie his shoelaces in the presence of the Seanchan Empress that--how do I put this-- that the future posibility of his children *ever* being born would be nill.

I would not be surprised if the name Aviendha means " the Treegifter " on the Old Tongue .

It would seem extremely unlikely that none of the characters who speak the old tongue have commented on it. Loial? Mat? Any of the Aes Sedai?

The time I posted this I noticed the odd similarity between the names -

additionally, I am doing a reread of TPoD and in the prologue Moridin is playing sha'rah

and the Fisher (now that we have finally made it to the latter part of the series) has not

quite exactly the same but rather remarkable similarities with Rand.

Anyway, what I mean to say is that Moridin comments on that piece design most probably being

based on RAND himself (haven't figured out the underline/bold/italic, so I apologize for the caps)

which would make the similarity between Avendesora and Aviendha a possibility.

And being a linguist myself, you find inner-word/inner-element (like with Japanese) additions happen quite often over time (although the opposite - cutting/abbreviation/combining forms - is considerably more common).

Simply looking at the consonants will usually help out with word roots/etymology (the Romance languages tend to have minor vowel differences, but they are still there), so Aviendha may even simply mean 'tree', and although the Old Tongue-speakers have yet to notice it could be merely that it is a superficial quality of her name(how many people with the surname Woods do you know? How many with names originating in flowers?). That is not to say that RJ may have had ulterior motives behind her naming at all, however.

Am not sure that the way of the leaf is necessarily the only way. Perhaps Aiel will recognize that as a people they are now free. I think this means free to choose the way of the leaf yes, but also not to. It also means that they are not bound by the fact that they were warmongerers and raiders. Still, going back would be a true challenge for them so maybe you are right.

Archived