DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How they'll beat the Dark One

Ragpen

hi, i'm new and just registered to put this out there in the open:

ever since the first book, there are few things that kept being mentioned like it was just trivia.

1. the Dark One is bound by the Pattern

2. each life is a thread in the Pattern

3. Ta'veren manipulate/shape the Pattern

4. and the Big Three are the strongest Ta'veren ever each with they're own way of manipulating chance.

5. since book 6(?) the Dark One is impatient enough to want to damage the Pattern with BALEFIRE, thereby trimming down the good guys' pool of life threads

i think it's very, very possible that by bringing a whole bunch of people to the Blasted Lands, Rand will be able to imprison the D.O. again using the life thread of every person present.

i think the ending will play out like this:

1. big fight on the Blight (heh, rhyme)

2. ECLIPSE!! (come on, it's in the part where the day will dawn twice, and it won't be proper fantasy without one)

3. forces of Light will be pushed back almost to defeat.

4. EPIPHANY! where Rand and/or the other two realize that the solution is so bloody (Matt WILL say this) simple.

5. using his willpower, Rand will be able to manipulate Perrin's and Matt's Ta'veren-ness to amplify his own, thereby dragging as many life threads as possible to cover up the Bore. (tasteful, goosebump-inducing purple prose IS A MUST for the awesome global-scale special effects)

6. Dark One is imprisoned, the Bore is closed, and probably all Balefire damage is repaired (personally, i think the ghosts are just balefire victims, but that's beside the topic)

7. much joy is to be had, much eating, Loial gets married, the Aiel can go back to being peaceful (i think Aviendha will realize that this MUST be so because they weren't supposed to be warriors in the first place) and many flower petals are to be thrown....

book will close with the usual "the Wind goes southward and westward and what have you" giving us a damn fine view of a bright (but not really perfect) steampunkish new future

this has been in my head for months and i hope i got it right... thanks for reading guys :D

hi, i'm new and just registered to put this out there in the open:

ever since the first book, there are few things that kept being mentioned like it was just trivia.

1. the Dark One is bound by the Pattern

2. each life is a thread in the Pattern

3. Ta'veren manipulate/shape the Pattern

4. and the Big Three are the strongest Ta'veren ever each with they're own way of manipulating chance.

5. since book 6(?) the Dark One is impatient enough to want to damage the Pattern with BALEFIRE, thereby trimming down the good guys' pool of life threads

Couple things...first the Pattern manipulates Ta'veren, not the other way around. They are a corrective mechanism when the weave starts to drift. Second not entirely certain what you meant with the Balefire comment but just to clarify, people killed with Balefire can still be reincarnated. They are not totally removed from the pattern, their thread is merely burned back. Balefire is not the eternal death of the soul.

Welcome to DM!

thanks for the welcome and reply!

i needed the refresher, hehe, haven't read WoT in a while so some details ARE fuzzy >_<

Couple things...first the Pattern manipulates Ta'veren, not the other way around. They are a corrective mechanism when the weave starts to drift.

but what about Rand's seemingly voluntary manipulation of the pattern? is it because he KNOWS what's on the next part of the pattern or because the Pattern manipulates him?

people killed with Balefire can still be reincarnated. They are not totally removed from the pattern, their thread is merely burned back. Balefire is not the eternal death of the soul.

Welcome to DM!

i'm sorry if i wasn't clear enough... by "balefire damage" i meant damage done TO the pattern... i've always imagined the Pattern somewhat literally... so i guessed that DO's willingness to use balefire to "burn out the Pattern" is his way of taking a blowtorch to his prison bars

The core idea, of using living people to Seal the Bore, might play nicely with the "his blood on the rocks" thing if he uses Aiel. "Spit into Sightblinder's eye" and "a remnant" are also tied in. Still, it's too macabre for my taste - to sacrifice all those souls on the alter of the DO.

Welcome!

This idea has been brought up before. The lights that Min sees are stronger when the three ta'veren are together, and they overcome the darkness, but when they are separated the darkness wins. When all three are together at the Last Battle it has been theorized that their "ta'verenness" will work together like steel bands that will keep the Pattern intact even as the DO breaks free and makes an attempt to "blowtorch" it appart as you say.

I believe that since ToM, it is clear that Rand realizes that he does have some control over his ta'verenness, as long as he "does the will of the Pattern" which, to me, is to keep it intact. I think that Rand will use that power combined with Mat's and Perrin's and the threads of everyone on the side of the Light to do something very similar to what you are theorizing. The DO's prison won't be "patched" it will be completely whole and strong, as it was when the Creator first sealed him in.

The core idea, of using living people to Seal the Bore, might play nicely with the "his blood on the rocks" thing if he uses Aiel. "Spit into Sightblinder's eye" and "a remnant" are also tied in. Still, it's too macabre for my taste - to sacrifice all those souls on the alter of the DO.

Welcome!

whoa, whoa, whoa.... i didn't mean to KILL them... i mean't just BEING there would patch up the tear in the Pattern (loyalty to the Dragon might factor in too).

Archived