DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Ajah IWW - Facts!

Yelenia

Man am I happy this is something hardly thought of in the U.S. quite honestly I find I cant look at a woman the same if they have gone off and gotten plastic surgery, at least these ones have a real excuse. Hopefully this will end in the future.

I think that is a bit of a catch 22 though... I think to improve quality of live more people need to be educated so they can get better jobs, earn more money but like you said Reyoru they can't leave any job they do have to get educated because then they wouldn't be able to feed their family. It's a vicious circle.

It is a vicious circle but I don't believe it's an unsolvable problem. 150 years ago most women in the UK were illiterate and uneducated. But then, the UK had industrialised; I had a University lecturer who thought that the only way for Africa to improve long term was to industralise on a significant scale. That would bring in more money for Governments who would be able to spend it on public services such as Health and Education. But that's just a theory postulated by a man who was certifiably mad. He once asked us in class if any of us had been to London to do drugs. Really.

For International Women's Day, I'm going to shamelessly pull from the Los Angeles Time article, "International Women's Day: World celebrates; we get Google Doodle" which links to the UN Women website, as well as Oxfam International.

I also found an opinion piece from the Independent interesting, "Laurie Penny: That's enough politeness – women need to rise up in anger".

I've never considered myself a Feminist, and I tend to shy away from the extremes Laurie Penny uses in this piece - but I also found myself agreeing with quite a bit. While we struggle to get equality in countries that still practice FGM and have low literacy/education rates - do we want to give them the "equality" we have now, or the ideal of equality that many feel we haven't reached yet?

Archived