DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darkfriends you wish weren't *spoilers if you havent finished the books*

birdjac89

* First of all if you haven't finished the books there are probably going to be spoilers

So I am curious, If you had to pick a character that you were disapointed to find out was a dark friend. Mine was probably Sheriam, I really liked her in the beginning.

Verin would also be one but I dont think she really counted. She was more like a good guy pretending to be a bad guy pretending to be a good guy.

I think Sheriam as well. Her being a DF just made absolutely no sense in light of her statements and actions earlier in the books. I get the whole thing about it being those whom you least expect and her faking those personality traits to hide who she really was and all that, but it just didn't work for me.

I was also surprised by Mat's Aiel girlfriend turning out to be a Darkfriend, and on my current re-read it's hard to reconcile Sheriam's character with what I know she is. Sort of off-topic, but re-reading the chapters in TGH where that expedition of Aes Sedai comes to Sheinar, I was surprised by how many of those sisters turned out to be Black Ajah later. Ingtar and Verin I think were made better, more interesting characters by the revelation that they were Dakfriends (not that I didn't like them before I knew that).

We could also have a topic about those we wish would've turned out to be DFs... Asunawa is on the top of my list,

I think Asunawa was crazed by power and his beliefs just like Masema was. They were no real DF's but some kind of "fanatics of light" which is almost the same as being a DF. You torture and kill people in the name of the Light - in my opinion you're a friend of the Dark.

We could also have a topic about those we wish would've turned out to be DFs... Asunawa is on the top of my list,

I think Asunawa was crazed by power and his beliefs just like Masema was. They were no real DF's but some kind of "fanatics of light" which is almost the same as being a DF. You torture and kill people in the name of the Light - in my opinion you're a friend of the Dark.

Agreed, its something that transfers over the real world.

Sad but true. A good writer knows how to create good characters with implemented characteristics from "real life." :aessedai: there are no totally good and totally bad persons. Good and evil are inside all of us, and it just depends on ones personality which one will dominate.

Sad but true. A good writer knows how to create good characters with implemented characteristics from "real life." :aessedai: there are no totally good and totally bad persons. Good and evil are inside all of us, and it just depends on ones personality which one will dominate.

Yah, also ones' social mores and rules make a dramatic difference (Seanchan)in what we would call evil or good. And no this isnt the old there is no good or evil speech either. :rolleyes: Also I was trying to sneak in a little snarky bash on those who do something in the name of "good" behind their belief systems. :biggrin:

Mazrim Taim. Started as a perfect opportunity to do something not so "Black and white" (or off-black for Fain?), supposedly ruined. I still have my fingers crossed for something more interesting than, "Ta-da! Another dark minion! Who saw that coming?!" but I wouldn't bet on it.

Mazrim Taim. Started as a perfect opportunity to do something not so "Black and white" (or off-black for Fain?), supposedly ruined. I still have my fingers crossed for something more interesting than, "Ta-da! Another dark minion! Who saw that coming?!" but I wouldn't bet on it.

I still cling feebly to the hope that Taim was 13x13'd and somehow Super Rand can Dragon it away. Taim in books 6,7, and 8. Is one of my favorite characters.

Archived