DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shaidar Haran and channeling

Duskfire

One of the apparent implications my friends and I take for granted is that Shaidar Haran can channel, and I had assumed that everyone felt the same. However, since posting on the message boards it has come to my attention that I was wrong, this is indeed not the case. So I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the subject.

He creates black flames to destroy a spear

He has created black globes of light

He made himself taller when confronting Mesanna

Those are three very clear cases of channeling to me, and the black theme is an indication of the True Power. Not to mention, wouldnt it make sense for the Hand of the Dark to also be able to channel the TP?

So basically, if he isnt channeling, what is he doing? How is he creating flames and globes out of nothing?

• 2 months later...

I don't think it's quite unknown.

If I recall correctly (it has been some time since read it), Mesaana or whichever one the of the forsaken he is with at the time recognises what Shadar Haran is actually doing. It also involves a black sa or spot crossing the eyes, the larger this spot the more power drawn. Whichever forsaken it is also shows a lot of fear, so possibly other forsaken can use this power but chose not to due to the risks.

All up, this power could be special gift from the Dark One, though with draw backs such as the taint on the saidin.

Or maybe this is all the product of my imagination

likely the darkone is working through him, hes just a focus for the darkones grip on the world, think of him like a extension of the area of shayol ghul, so the darkone can affect the area around him, but it seems to more be under the control of shaidar Haran himself, couse I don't think the darkone would act like he does. He probably isn't channeling just what he wants happens. the darkone basically does it for him.

I personally think that trollocs are the shadowspawn channellers (the birth rate seems about right), it allows them special powers, and since the DO can also grant powers to the Forsaken, it makes sense that he can also bestow some upon these channeller (class) shadowspawn

ive always thought he could channel the TP for those same reasons. And always just assumed that the GLotD granted him access, and i figure he must be limited in how he can grant it to shadowspawn, otherwise why not let every shadowspawn channel, at least when they are in battle, that would be devastating. Maybe SH does have a talent and his is to be some kind of well for either the TP or dark lords influence, and thats how he exists and thats why he cant be away from SG for too long

If I recall correctly (it has been some time since read it), Mesaana or whichever one the of the forsaken he is with at the time recognises what Shadar Haran is actually doing. It also involves a black sa or spot crossing the eyes, the larger this spot the more power drawn. Whichever forsaken it is also shows a lot of fear, so possibly other forsaken can use this power but chose not to due to the risks.

All up, this power could be special gift from the Dark One, though with draw backs such as the taint on the saidin.

SH has eyes??

Fades do have some weird quasi-channeling ability - they can link with both humans and trollocs and they can detect OP use - they itch/ smell.

It's not clear what exactly this extends to, in case of SH.

SH has eyes??

Fades do have some weird quasi-channeling ability - they can link with both humans and trollocs and they can detect OP use - they itch/ smell.

It's not clear what exactly this extends to, in case of SH.

haha, yeah, I was like, eh? I knew he was a unique Myrddraal, but not THAT unique. Perhaps they got mixed up with Moridin?

To the point, it is strange, I didn't really think about it too much. Shaidar Haran, to me, just has powers because he is well....Shaidar Haran, Hand of the Dark/Shadow. I am leaning towards his power being similar, but not the TP. More like another strain of the DO's power.

I find this quote to be the closest to my belief.

INTERVIEW: Mar, 2000

Letter to Paul Ward (Verbatim)

ROBERT JORDAN

The taint and the True Power are both manifestations of the Dark One—they are the same substance, but those who access it are not destroyed in the same way.

Add this to the quote about Shaidar Haran being a shadowy manifestation, I think that SH's powers are just another manifestation of the DO's power, similar to the TP, but not the same.

Edit: Here is the quote about Shaidar Haran.

INTERVIEW: Sep 3rd, 2005

DragonCon Signing Reports - Matt Hatch (Verbatim)

TED HERMAN

Is Shaidar Haran an avatar to the world beyond the Bore?

ROBERT JORDAN

I am not certain you can really call him an avatar because I generally think of an avatar as having exactly the same powers as, and it is not,

Shaidar Haran

does not have nearly as much power as the Dark One. It's as though the Dark One is able to project a shadowy form of himself into this creature. It is the Dark One in shadowy form.

Bold is mine. It explains it pretty well. Also explains why SH cannot be away from SG, because he literally is a "hand" of the DO, reaching through the bore. It also supports my theory that SH's power is another unique manifestation of the DO's power.

Archived