DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Borderlands

dazparra

my 2 cents

on Rand gatewaying a force to SG while the shadow is occupied with Lan at the Gap.

That was "hard" Rand's plan. Light zen Rand seems to want to save Lan.

On the BorderLands being overrun.

We are forgeting the most compelling part of the epilogue. The trollocs using the Ways to invade Camelyn. I think the shadow's strategy is to hit the borderlands making everyone think that is where the fight will be, while sending a large force to Andor and striking out from there.

And one of the things I've enjoyed about the series is that it stays away from black-and-white and deals with shades of grey instead.

Holy Christ. What's your frame of reference?

I just mean that there are all shades represented.

For example, whilst we do have a superhero for a protagonist, Rand goes from good to bad, and back, with all shades in between.

We have characters that are 'good', but do 'bad' things (for a myriad of different reasons) - Elaida, various AS, etc

We have characters who are 'bad', but do 'good' things - Ingtar, Elza, etc.

Moridin has changed from someone who looked like the epitome of 'evil' to someone who's just tired and wants to end it already.

There's even an argument that can be made regarding Shaidar Haran - he may not be evil himself but is being controlled by the DO, not sure how far I'd agree with it, but the argument is there nonetheless.

I didn't mean that the book doesn't deal with black and white at all and obviously, I'm excluding the DO himself here.

But, off the top of my head, I can not think of a single 'white' character who doesn't have a single 'black' thought and we don't really have enough PoVs from the dark side to make an accurate judgement. Taking a percentage scale of black to white, where 100 is evil and 0 is pure goodness, where do you put Asmodean?

Anyway, that's all a bit longer than it was supposed to be, but I hope it makes my thinking clearer.

Surely you aren't trying to deny that this series is, ummm, not exactly noted for its' nuanced portrayal of good and evil?

I mean, seriously, can you think of any book not intended for young children where "black and white" are more clearly differentiated?

Saying that the Wheel of Time traffics in shades of gray is like describing the prose as "taut".

Jeebus.

Surely you aren't trying to deny that this series is, ummm, not exactly noted for its' nuanced portrayal of good and evil?

I mean, seriously, can you think of any book not intended for young children where "black and white" are more clearly differentiated?

Saying that the Wheel of Time traffics in shades of gray is like describing the prose as "taut".

Jeebus.

Ummm, take out all the double negatives and say what you mean.

Confused.

Are you trying to say you can not see the grey?

Does taut prose have anything to do with character motivation? (other that the description thereof?)

There is, in fact, very little "gray." Certainly much less than in real life, or in the vast majority of works of fiction.

Clear enough?

Well, your meaning of the first line is clear enough now, I guess.

Leaves me wandering what it would take to make a WOT character 'grey' for you, but, whatever ...

Can't say I agree with you. But that's ok, agree to diagree and all that.

Still confused about the taut prose

I think the Borderlands will be ravaged, but will survive. Also I think once Rand has sealed the Bore for good the DO' influence will be completely removed from the blight. Freeing up even more land, Malkier will once more be inhabitable with Lan as its king and Nynaeve as queen.

The land is one with the dragon....

my 2 cents

on Rand gatewaying a force to SG while the shadow is occupied with Lan at the Gap.

That was "hard" Rand's plan. Light zen Rand seems to want to save Lan.

On the BorderLands being overrun.

We are forgeting the most compelling part of the epilogue. The trollocs using the Ways to invade Camelyn. I think the shadow's strategy is to hit the borderlands making everyone think that is where the fight will be, while sending a large force to Andor and striking out from there.

They have a countless number of trollcs, or close enoygh to it... why cant the Shadow do both?

I've long believed a lot of the borderlands will end up in Lan and Nynaeve's hands--or perhaps Nynaeve and Lan's kid's hands. Post TG they'll look at the ashes, and think to themselves 'where were our rulers'? and then they'll pause to wonder 'who was there for us?'. Add that to the fact that I think a pretty dark fate awaits most of the Borderland Rulers due to Min's visions...

Also, side thought, what happens if the Saldaeans flee south? The Caralain Grass is uninhabited, and it brings Faile's future kingdom near Perrin's base of power. Interesting thought....

Archived