DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WT/DM World Class - FEBRUARY 2012

Rhea

Rhea walks in and settles down behind her desk. Pulling out papers and a large text book from her satchel. She looks up and surevys the room. All eyes on her she takes in the motley bunch and then turns to write her name on the board. Turning back to the class she begins to speak.

Welcome to class students. My name is Rhea and I will be your instructor.

I have been a member of DM since August 2011 and have found it be a wonderful place for me to come and relax and have fun. I love the WT&WG SG and am part of House Damodred. I enjoy running discussion threads and participating in events. And...I have a blast posting with the friends I have made here. In my RL I am a mother of 3 boys, I work full time as a RN, and I have been married a LONG time. (Don't ask me how old I am). LOL. I love to read and write and I am very much a Tomboy. I go camping, fishing, hunting, and love to ride atv's. I also ski (CC and DH) and love to cook! If you get all your assignments in on time I will be sure to bake you a wonderful treat!

So now settle back and relax! It's time to get this party started!!!

Rhea picks up her assignment book and begins to take the roll.

ROLL CALL (I will keep your 'grades' here and update them each week.)

Sunrise Lord - Initiate

Week 1 - Part A, B, & C Complete

Week 2 - Completed all eight field trips 113.gif

Week 3 - Part A & B Complete

Week 4 - Part 1, 2 & 3 Complete

Lenlo - Initiate

Alira - Initiate

Kari Sedi - Initiate

Week 3 - Incomplete

Week 4 - Incomplete

Kaylynn - Initiate

Week 2 - Incomplete - Posted in all eight Field trips but did not ask any questions.

Week 3 - Incomplete

Week 4 - Incomplete

Melanas - Initiate

Gudrean - Initiate

Please read the rules as I post your first week's assignment.

The Rules:

1) DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD UNLESS YOU ARE IN MY CLASS!

2) You can't just say hello and then disappear. Try and get to know everyone! Actively ask questions! This is a conversation, not a one and done. Get to know all the Ajahs and the Warders. Everyone is welcoming and wonderful, so just try!

3) Not too much spam please. Relevant conversation is acceptable however

4) Do all your homework, or else you won't get credit. The homework is easy AND informative!

5) HAVE FUN! Get to know everyone and make friends. We don't bite...much. :tongue:

Edited by Rhea

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Week One:

A) Introduce yourself here and get to know each other.

Answer the following...

B) Behaviour and what’s acceptable

1)What are members of the WT/Warders expected to do?

2)How are members of the WT/Warders expected to behave?

3)What is the Code of Conduct, and how does it apply to you?

4)What in the heck does PG13 mean?

5)What is Thread-Hijacking and Spam, and what is the general policy of the WT/Warders regarding that?

C) Progression through the ranks

1)What are those requirements you keep talking about?

2)What is an Org-wide event?

3)How do I help organize something around here?

You have one week to complete this assignment.

Week Two:

Go and find all of the Field Trip Threads that I have posted. There is one in each of the Ajahs plus one in the Warder. That's eight altogether.

Once you have found them, everyone needs to ask at least one question in EACH THREAD. Please read through the thread first so you don't repeat other peoples' questions.

You have one week to complete this assignment. This does not mean that you have to stop posting in the Field Trip threads after the week is up. You may continue to post there as long as the topic is active.

Week Three

Part one:

I'd like to ask if you all know who's in charge around here, for example, the keeper, the Amyrlin, etc.

Please complete the following:

Amyrlin - _________

Keeper - ________

Sword Captain - ________

Mistress of Novices - _________

Master at Arms - _________

Part Two:

For this part I am going to split you up and send you off to investigate the posting rules, policies and structures of the various Boards in the White Tower and Warders' Guild.

Here are your individual assigned areas:

Sunshine - Brown Ajah and Aspies Common Room

Lenlo - Warders' Guild and Blue Ajah

Alira - Main WT Board and Green Ajah

Kari Sedai - Lecture Hall and Gray Ajah

Kaylynn - Yellow Ajah and Dormitories

Melanes - Hall of the Tower and Red Ajah

Gudrean - The Req Rooms and White Ajah

Once you get to your alloted Board, you need to find out the answers to the questions below, and post them here. You can't just ask the Members of the Board for the answers, you should be able to find the answers in the various stickys - if you are unable to find them then let me know in this Thread and I will try to assist you or point you in the right direction.

a) How do the staff of this board want Initiates (that would be you)to introduce themselves?

b) What is this board's policy on spam?

c) Are there designated places for spam on this board? If yes, where are they?

d) Who is the head of this ajah, or person in charge of this board?

e) If you have a problem or question while on this board, who should you contact to discuss it?

Week FOUR

Part 1

a) How do you keep track of the threads that you've posted in?

b) When you join a new thread, or go back to a thread, do you read from where you left off or from the beginning (if you haven't read it before), or do you jump right into the converstation (definitely not suggested - unless it's a thread like the Moat)?

c) As far as activity, do you stay in any certain place on the boards? Do you post in a variety of threads or just a few select ones? If you're really active, do you have any trouble keeping track of everywhere you've posted?

Part 2

a) In general, are there any tips/tricks you've picked up in your posting that you can share with the rest of us?

b) Here is the place to ask any questions you may have that haven't fit in anywhere else in this class. You can also note any questions you have asked, or have found answered elsewhere, that you believe would be beneficial to others at this time too!

Part 3

Lastly, here's the place for feedback for the WT class: Is there anything you wish could have been covered in the class? What would you suggest to be changed/different? Any comments for me, as your teacher?

Edited by Rhea

A) Guess ill start us off. Hello everyone, my name is Michael aka Lenlo. I am currently a high school senior/college freshman in Texas and I plan on majoring in Computer Engineering. I love to read, write some short stories now and then, play games and code. I was on my high school tennis team for two years, a part of the Comp Sci club for this year, part of the robotics team and help my schools debate team practice, since I just love to argue of interesting subjects.

I have 3 siblings, a little brother who is 10, a little sister who is 8 and a little half-sister who is 3 this may. I joined DM just recently in January and have been loving it. I enjoy helping people out when I can and am generally a shy person when I first meet people. Thats about it, glad to meet you all and im sure we will have fun in here.

Oh, one last thing that I forgot that interests me. I am a complete and udder pyro. Kinda odd/crazy, but its fun. Engineered explosives, fireworks, and just massive bonfires are so much fun. Though I have died down abit since I lit my entire hand on fire and permanently lost the fingerprints on 3 of my 10 fingers. Those were at two separate events, btw.

-Len

Edited by Lenlo

B) Behavior and what’s acceptable

Help out others, have fun and dont stress. If someone is having a bad day, see what you can do to lighten it up. If your having a bad day, try not to let it drag down on others. Thats just my thoughts on it anyways.

Summed up, with courtesy and respect. No bullying, no posting out private conversations and, in my book the biggest, no personal attacks. We are expected to behave nicely with everyone. You can poke fun, joke and play with people just dont go to far.

The Code of Conduct is a set of rules, guidelines and morals you have agreed to abide by when you signed up for this DM. These are not only expected but required and if you do not abide by this code they have the right to remove you from this DM.

PG-13 means that you are expected to keep everything you post/link to/speak of or pm about are appropriate for some of the age 13 and up. This means no adult topics, language to a minimum and afew other specifics.

5)What is Thread-Hijacking and Spam, and what is the general policy of the WT/Warders regarding that?

Thread-Hijacking is where you take a thread that is say, about kittens, and completely derail it and take it to another topic instead of posting another thread. Like if I had taken the kitten thread and completely changed what was being talked about to say, video games or politics.

Spam is where you post a bunch of unneeded posts. Like if I had taken a thread and posted 10 pages worth of one word posts/sentences. There are specific threads for this for you to let loose in so you do not do this in other peoples threads.

Oh noes... double post.

*Is all alone at... 1 AM after working on physics hw.*

Edited by Lenlo

*Sticks head out of the ceiling* hey there! Your friendly Ceiling Amyrlin here, just checking up on things :biggrin:

Just a slight correction (which I'm sure Rhea would have spotted but I'm here now so might as well):

The Code of Conduct is a set of rules, guidelines and morals you have agreed to abide by when you signed up for this specific part of the forum. These are not only expected but required and if you do not abide by this code they have the right to remove you from this part of the forum.

The Code of Conduct is for the WHOLE of DM, not just sections of it. It was drawn up by the Site Owner, his Admins and his legal team. There is something that is specific to this section, namely the WT/W 101 pinned topic, in which you will find a link to the CoC.

Cheers for now - call me if you need me :happy:

Hi Everyone! I'm in my last year of university, studying Electrical Engineering. Some of my hobbies include reading, knitting/crocheting, and puzzles. I used to do karate, but I stopped when I started university. I intend to take it up again next year, once I've started my job. I was also the Editor-in-Chief of a student newspaper last year, and I'm still involved with it.

I have two younger brothers, two and four years younger than me. I've never been able to convince them to try reading Wheel of Time, but that's probably due to the fact that they ignore any suggestion that come from me on principle.

I joined Dragonmount in January. I haven't been posting very much, partially because school has this annoying tendency to consume my life.

Hello Mother! Thank you for your assistance!

A pyro among us! Keep him away from Ed. O.o Nice answers Len. You did a great job.

Hello Alira. Thank you for posting your introduction. School can be consuming. I recently finished my bachelors degree in nursing. I know what you mean! Just waiting for the rest of your assignment now.

*pokes the class*

Part A

Hey, guys! I'm currently in an LPN class, about two-thirds through. I love to read and write more than just about anything else. I love green tea, 80s music; my favorite color is green, I'm a member of House Ospenya. I have a younger half-brother and two younger half-sisters, ages 13, 12, and 11, respectively. I first became involved with WoT when I read Winter's Heart, which kind of threw me off, since it's the middle of the series. I joined DM last September, after hovering around for a while. I've really enjoyed my experience here; there's so many nice people interested in the same things I am. Tynaal and most everyone else call me Sunshine instead of my full DM handle.

Part B

1) Members are expected to be themselves, bar inappropriate language, photos, etc. Also, members are expected to be courteous to others, follow the COC, not spam unless in a thread where it's allowed. Members have--I wouldn't say obligation--a responsibility to be there for others of the community, such as helping a new member around, etc.

2) In a polite manner; no personal attacks or racial comments or any comment that could harm another member. Etiquette is key to how a member is supposed to behave; just like RL, manners are a must for any member. Also, members should not declare their path until finished with a class such as this one, ajah or discipline until accepted by that ajah/discipline.

3) I don't know if I can say it any better than Lenlo. The Code of Conduct also give instructions on Bonding, Ajah changes, and information on making a new account if you already have one.

4) PG-13. Elgee can gives a better explanation of this in WT/Warders 101, but I'll try to do the question justice. If you wouldn't let anyone under the age of 13 read something d/t language, nudity, adult conversation, etc.. A better way to say it would be that whatever it is is appropriate for people aged 13 and under.

5) Thread-hijacking is when you change the conversation of a thread about a particular subject to a completely unrelated topic. Spam is an abnormal and uncalled for amount of posts that have no meaning to the current conversation; can also be hate posts. There are specific areas where spam is allowed. Spam is not allowed unless it is in the designated areas specifically for spam.

Hi Sunshine :)

Except for you being in Ospenya, we are a lot alike! I also love green tea, the color green, and I am a nurse. :) Your answers are very good. Just remember that the COC is for the entire DM site, not just the WT&W.

Hi. I just joined DM in january, am in House Damodred and the Wolfkin, and am a mechanical engineer in RL. I love helping people and may be trusting/caring to a fault. I also love reading, writing, knitting, and chrocheting.

Members are expected to be respectful of others, to not post things that exclude others, staying on topic as best as possible. Policy is that no spam or thread hijacking be done at any point unless the starter of the thread says otherwise. PG-13 means not posting anything that is deemed only appropriate for adults etc.

The reqs are specific events/tasks done to rise to the next level of your pathm, ORG wide events are events open to everyone, to help organize stuff simply contact Tynaal Consen the MoN, ed2funny the MaA, or another administrator by PM.

Please let me know if I forgot anything Rhea Sedai. *she sits down in her seat calmly and smiles at everyone * Hey Lenlo, everyone.

Alira, I can totally relate. I'm in the same situation, only I'm a mechanical. :smile::laugh:

Edited by Kari Sedi

C) Progression through the ranks

These are the requirements you must fulfill in order to advance in the WT's ranks. Such as to get from initiate to novice/Algai you must R&U in the rules and guidelines posts and you must complete a class such as this one. After you complete these you are ready to advance to the next rank, though that is still up to the discretion of the MoN I believe.

An Org wide event is an event that happens in this part of the forum and is open for everyone to participate in. Such as the Black Towers Trivia game I am a part of or the White Ajahs Murder Mystery Alice in Wonderland game.

There are two ways. Sometimes people will ask in the Aspie common room for some help and you can sign up there. Other than that you can send a preferably fleshed out or well thought out idea for an event and they will tell you if it is possible/OK/good idea or not. After you get that OK you just need to finish it up send the complete idea over and then post it when you get the A-OK.

And why do I need to be kept away from Ed? Is he a pyro to? Ooooh, thated be fun if he is. And hello Kari. Yay more engineers.

Part B

Members are supposed to be friendly and supportive of other members. They should have fun, but keep things appropriate and respectful.

Follow the Code of Conduct, don't spam (unless specifically allowed in the thread), don't hijack a thread. Be respectful of everyone, and keep content PG-13.

The Code of Conduct is the rules that apply to all of DM. There are also specific rules that apply just to this part of the forum.

Anything you post should be appropriate for a 13 year old. That means no adult content, and no swearing.

Thread-Hijacking is when a couple people completely derail a thread from its original topic. This is not allowed at all. Spam is random posts that have nothing to do with the original topic. Spam is permitted in some, specific threads, but is otherwise discouraged.

Part C

The requirements are the list of things that you need to accomplish to progress to the next rank. For example, to progress from initiate rank, you need to R&U the Rules thread, and take this class.

An Org-wide event is an event that takes place on the main board. I think they're usually run by an Ajah.

Sometimes Ajahs will post in the Aspirant Common Room asking for assistance. Otherwise, you can bring an idea to the MoN or one of the Ajahs.

There seem to be a lot of people here who like to make things go 'splody :biggrin:

Again, I just want to interject something here, so there's no misunderstanding.

The DM Code of Conduct is something drawn up by Jason (the person who owns, started and pays for this site) and his team of Admins etc. The Admins asked the Group Leaders to each post it at their sections, hence you will find it at every Social Group, at the Role Playing Groups and various other boards around this site. You will find it here at our board.

The WT/W 101 is some information, guidelines and rules specific to the White Tower and Warders Social Group only (for instance, about things like Bonding). You will find that here.

Hope that cleared things up but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask :wink:

Sorry for interrupting your class, Rhea, but this is a fairly important point. *Leaves cookies for everyone, with extras for Rhea.*

Thank you Mother. :biggrin:

Hides a couple cookies in her desk for later.

Lenlo, Thank you for editing your Week 1 part B (#3) answer. The COC is very important to understand, as Mother has stated.

Sunshine & Alira, Please post here that you have read and understand Mother's explanation of the COC.

Kari, you answers a rather short, but to the point and that is okay. :biggrin: However, You did not answer Part B #3 regarding the site wide Code of Conduct and how it applies to you. *hint* Please make sure you read Mother's explanation above before you post your answer.

Part A

Hello all! I'm in my second year at university, studying Music. I play the harp, violin and viol (as well as dabbling in pretty much any instrument I can find!) and have a love for folk and early music (and at the other end of the spectrum, a newly discovered liking for power metal!).

Outside of music, I love writing fantasy stories and making random craft things (literally random, I once sat bored in front of a box for several hours and ended up making a 'magic flying potions delivery box'). I have a bit of an obsession with trying new activities (which may be more aptly described as a compulsion to do everything!) which has resulted in me recently taking up horse riding and, uh... playing Quidditch! I can also be a bit of a geek when it comes to archaeology and rocks (though rocks do rock!)*.

*Warning, I also have O.P.D. (Obsessive Punning Disorder)

Yes, I like the sound of the piano, though five years of playing the same piece and not really getting any better at it kind of made me realise it wasn't really my instrument!

Part B

Participate in and help ensure the enjoyment of the group to all members (i.e. have fun, help and support others, act as a community).

With respect and curtesy to others (i.e. by not acting in a way that could be deemed offensive (i.e. no flaming/discriminatory remarks). Also no spamming/general rudeness.

A set of rules that apply to the entirety of Dragonmount (in addition to the general rules) outlining how members should and should not behave, as well as a guide to what to do should any conflicts arise.

Do not post anything that would not be appropriate for a thirteen year old (i.e. no adult content).

Spam is irrelevant and unwanted (often inane) posts, whilst hijacking is taking over a thread (often in an off-topic sense) without permission of the thread creator. Both are not generally allowed (although what constitutes as 'spam' may differ depending on the board/thread).

Edited by Melanas

Yay, cookies! Thank you Mother! *slowly munches thoughtfully on a cookie before answering Rhea's question to the best of her ability*

Um. Well, the Code of Conduct applies to me and others in that it explains how we are to conduct ourselves, with information on behavior to information about accounts, etc. For example, we are not to swear while on the site (except using words like Light, Burn Me, and things like that found in WoT) and there is to be no discrimination of any kind towards any one.

I hope that this answers what you were after Rhea Sedai. I can go into deeper depth if you would like? :smile: :aes sedai:

Edited by Kari Sedi

Yay, cookies! Thank you Mother! *slowly munches thoughtfully on a cookie before answering Rhea's question to the best of her ability*

Um. Well, the Code of Conduct applies to me and others in that it explains how we are to conduct ourselves, with information on behavior to information about accounts, etc. For example, we are not to swear while on the site (except using words like Light, Burn Me, and things like that found in WoT) and there is to be no discrimination of any kind towards any one.

I hope that this answers what you were after Rhea Sedai. I can go into deeper depth if you would like? :smile: :aes sedai:

I believe that will suffice. Thank you hun. :biggrin: