DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darlin Prediction

dazparra

Well we have seen min predict that Darlin the King of Tear will die in his sleep.

I think this prediction relates to the world of dreams and that one of the shadow's many adherents will murder him in his sleep in the world of dreams.

Maybe he will just be too good a king (establishing order) or maybe he interferes in their plans in some other way... but i predict he will be killed in his sleep in the world of dreams and i think it will be Moghedien or Slayer that do the deed.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Well we have seen min predict that Darlin the King of Tear will die in his sleep.

I think this prediction relates to the world of dreams and that one of the shadow's many adherents will murder him in his sleep in the world of dreams.

Maybe he will just be too good a king (establishing order) or maybe he interferes in their plans in some other way... but i predict he will be killed in his sleep in the world of dreams and i think it will be Moghedien or Slayer that do the deed.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I don't remember any prediction of Darlin die in his sleep. The only thing I can think of is just a comment from Min about it being a devastating blow to Rand to loose either Darlin or Bashere. Could you provide a quote on this reference.

It's from ch. 27 of TPOD. I don't have the exact quote, but you can look it up easily enough on the WoT encyclopedia. Darlin will die in his sleep and Caraline will survive him.

I don't think the viewing necessarily suggests murder though. He might live to be an old man and simply die in his sleep of natural causes.

I don't remember any prediction of Darlin die in his sleep. The only thing I can think of is just a comment from Min about it being a devastating blow to Rand to loose either Darlin or Bashere. Could you provide a quote on this reference.

In tPoD chapter 27, according to encyclopaedia-wot.org, Min sees this: Darlin will die in bed and Caraline will survive him.

I don't have the book, so I don't know if it's a direct, verbatim quote.

Regarding Dazparra's theory, I'd rather not agree with it. It certainly is possible, but it would likely be part of another round of difficulties the dark forces would throw on Rand.

This viewing may have been a red herring by RJ to make readers believe that Tear was secure and no longer a worry, lulling us to sleep with a viewing in the tone of a peaceful death... but all the while planning to have Darlin offed as part of a larger plot to cause Rand further difficulties and further divide his attention.

But I'm guessing that RJ simply was done with Tear as a major part of the story, hence the viewing. Also, Rand, as Rand Sedai is too focused on the immediate necessities such as the bore/seals, FoM, Black Tower and overall Last Battle. The death of and need to replace the ruler of Tear would have to be back burner. There is also the consideration that Caraline is to survive Darlin, and she is quite likely a capable Queen to fill Darlin's shoes. I can see no good plot point or reason to have the forces of the dark kill Darlin at this stage of the game.

Of course, considering the existing distraction to Rand's focus, the tormenting of Mierin that we saw in the epilogue of ToM, maybe this is where it's going... but I still don't think so.

Edit: I took too long posting Gyld beat me to the punch - too many of my own distractions!

I doubt the Shadow cares about Tear now that Callandor is gone. What would they do even if they held the Stone? Its in the bottom corner of the map away from essentially all the action. At least Andor and whatnot could be a good launching pad.

And it was Bashere and Dobraine who would devastate Rand if he lost them, not Bashre and Darlin. In the scheme of things, Darlin is only important in the sense that he is one more ally for Rand.

• 2 weeks later...

The viewing isn't meant to lull the reader into thinking Tear is safe. Min explicitly says that the viewing doesn't guarantee he dies in his old age, just that he dies in bed. (Because Rand assumes this, and she corrects him.) If anything, then, the viewing is supposed to make us wonder exactly what this post is about -- whether Darlin will be murdered in bed or some such thing. But at the same time it might be a red herring. Maybe he will survive!

Archived