DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

This bugs me about Moiraine

andrewks

I just completed book 3 of my re-read and something glared at me. How does Moiraine know that Sammael rules in Illian and Be'lal rules in Tear? I mean she blatantly says "Be'lal is Samon" but then asks Loial to give more info on him. Doesn't make much sense.

Was it just a plot device used by RJ?

Could it be that the WT has knowledge on the Forsaken, more detailed than what's available to the general population, concerning their personalities? She said Be'lal was known as the "Netweaver", which the public had no knowledge of. And generally, the Ogier keep all kinds of information, no matter how irrelevant it might seem, so I could see her asking Loial for more information in order to form a plan or confirm her own theory. I wonder if someone's asked RJ this, or Brandon?

Birgitte told Nynaeve back in TSR that Asmodean was in Rhuidean. Nynaeve told Egwene, who presumably told Moiraine.

"I am Birgitte," the woman said, leaning on her bow. [...] "I will never forget Moghedien’s face, any more than I will forget the face of Asmodean, the man you almost disturbed at Rhuidean."

Asmodean? Moghedien? That woman was one of the Forsaken? A Forsaken in Tanchico. And one at Rhuidean, in the Waste! Egwene would certainly have said something if she knew. No way to warn her, not for seven days.

After that, it wasn't too hard for Moiraine to figure out who Jasin Natael was since no Forsaken would have been able to convincingly pose as one of the Aiel. She also used an eavesdropping weave to listen in on Rand's conversations with Asmo in TFoH:

"You were eavesdropping on Rand?" Egwene settled herself beside the other woman. It was as cold in the tent as it was outside. She channeled flames atop the ashes in the firepit and tied the flow. "You said you would not do it again."

Regarding Asmodean, I always figured she used her sneaky listening trick.

And she might have here. If she snuck close enough to hear him or some of his cronies saying "My Lord Be'lal", that could explain it. But remember, Moiraine had twenty years to think and plan what the D's Rebirth meant, and even if her plans were nearly useless, that doesn't mean she doesn't have an idea of what to expect-particularly after being so lovingly and graciously welcomed by two of the Chorsaken at the Eye. She was looking for signs, and she found them. I suppose that will have to do.

Archived