DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

FEBRUARY DISCUSSION: Which character from WoT do you admire most?

Amadine

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which character from WoT do you admire most?

• Tam
    • Rand
    • Mat
    • Perrin
    • Nynaeve
    • Egwene
    • Moiraine
    • Lan
    • Padan Fain
    • Ishamael/Moridin
    • Thom
    • Elayne
    • Birgitte
    • Suian
    • Galad
    • Gawyn
    • Morgase
    • Graendal
    • Verin
    • Someone else?

Which character from WoT do you admire most?

We are not talking about who is your favourite character here... which character do you admire most, and why? You could loathe the character yet still admire the growth of said character.

All DM members are welcome to participate - new and old :biggrin:

The poll only lists a handful - 20 options is all that's allowed... by all means, select other and post your reasons below...

Moiraine and Siuan.

They have carried the burden of knowing about the Dragon Reborn and the Black Ajah for more than 20 years. They knew that their chance of succeeding in helping him (or even to stay alive) was small, but they were both willing to sacrifice everything in order to help the Light. And when they had to pay, they accepted the price. They have been brave, loyal, and selfless throughout the books.

I've come to admire Egwene a lot since she became Amyrlin. As a character, she grew a lot after that point because she had no other choice. I know other characters have grown too--in fact, all of them have since EotW. But I think Egwene grew the most in the shortest amount of time, and I admire the way she handled the re-unification of the White Tower.

Also Verin, because--Spoiler!--we've seen several agents of the Shadow who have infiltrated the Light, but we've seen precious few who have done the work of the Shadow and come back to the Light, and I think Verin did a great service to the cause of the Light with her sacrifice.

Guest mustang86

It has to be Suian and Egwene. Suian lost everything and still continues to be a contributing facter in the war against the dark one. And Egwene WOW! How far has she came. Other than Rand no one has grown more. I have found myself reading wishing to get back to the white tower to see if she can unite them!

i admire so many characters. Moridin for being able to cope up with his past and as ishamael his philosphy. Thom for looking after everyone. Elayne for being able to help everyone or wanting to. Rand for being able to come in terms with himself. Lan for being present in times of crisis. Mat for finding humour in any situation. Egewene(I ahte her but still) for having such a commanding presence. verin for helping even if she was Black Sister. Nynaeve for looking after rand when he needed it. Moraine for giving up her life(almost) for Rand. Siuan for helping Egwene.

I voted for Padan Fain( his current incarnation, not the DF version which I found dispicable ).

Fain I actually think as grown the most as a character. He has no hidden motives, probably the only one that doesn't, which is why I admire him the most. I just wish we got more of him, he is so fun to read.

Siuan and Moiraine. They have both dedicated their lives to saving the world from the Dark One. They have risked it all and paid a terrible price. Siuan came from a poor family and was sent away at a young age, without even being able to say goodbye to her family. Moiraine could have gone back to a cushy life in the palace but she did not alter her course. I remember when Gareth said "You can't hide your goodness from me, Siuan Sanche. I see your heart" and when Rand remarked that Moiraine "always cared."

Lan once said this and it applies to both Siuan and Moiraine: "The fact that the price must be paid is proof it is worth paying."

Glad to see Siuan getting some (well deserved) love. :wub:

I would also add Davram Bashere and Gareth Bryne. While they might not be prominent enough characters to get a vote, they deserve much respect for throwing their lot in with Rand and Egwene.

Glad to see Siuan getting some (well deserved) love. :wub:

I would also add Davram Bashere and Gareth Bryne. While they might not be prominent enough characters to get a vote, they deserve much respect for throwing their lot in with Rand and Egwene.

I like both of them as well, especially Gareth, and the way he shows respect to everyone regardless of status.

I truly do admire Morgase. I don't feel like her character gets enough credit. She has survived brainwashing, rape, being held prisoner inside her own head, being forcd to leave behind her kingdom, be prisoner again, get raped again, manage to escape, be prisoner AGAIN... It is a wonder the woman still manages to stand on her own two feet, most people would be permanently whimpering in a corner from about half that.

I also truly admire Siuan and Leane, for the way they coped with their stilling. And Verin, since she is just plain awesome in sacrificing her life to save the Tower from the Black Ajah.

I admire Nynaeve because she is not afraid to speak her mind. She does have a temper, but who else has the temerity to stand up to Cadsuane?? I can't help but laugh out loud every time she gets hold of her braid, not to mention how she tries to "handle" Lan. I always picture him as a very young Charlton Heston and her as a young Maureen O'Hara.. full of fire and passion!!!⚡

Moiraine, for taking on the task of finding and helping Rand, no matter what that might entail. She is able to put aside Aes Sedai arrogance to make sure Rand is armed with the tools and knowledge he'll need to win.

All the men who sign themselves up to learn to channel, knowing they doom themselves to possible madness and death, but doing so in an effort to help fight the Shadow.

I'm going to vote Mat on this one.

Mat has been through hell, and still managed to retain his humanity, and himself in the process. We see at the beginning as a character, he's a trickster, kind of a pain in the hind end and a wee bit disrespectful of authority. But through the novels progression; his time with the Finn, taking in Olver, leading the Band of the Red Hand (quite reluctantly at times) he has taken everything that has come at him -- being ta'averen, his near death experiences, newfound memories of old, almost dying in Shadar Logoth, chased by gholam, bethrothed/married to the Empress of Seanchean, amongst many others in stride, and at the end of the day, he's still Mat.

I think it is a credit to Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson as authors to have kept Mat, well, Mat throughout the series, and to have not lost him as the stories progressed. Perrin has changed, significantly. Rand has changed significantly, Egwene, Nynaeve, they've all changed. Mat is still Mat, "I caught a Badger" Cauthon. For that, I admire him.

Lan da Man!! From the moment he took Rand under his wing and prepared for his 1st meeting with Suian as Amrilyn. To letting his guard down and letting Nyn into his heart. And oh yeah he the WoT's best swordsman. Lan all the way, rather tick off the Dark One then go head to head with the Lanster!!!

Archived