DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is it even remotely possible that the paperback of AMOL or ADWD could be split in The U.S. ?

The Fisher King

According to Brandon (last I heard anyway), AMoL had come in marginally longer then TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT, so since ToM is one volume in the USA, so AMoL would be as well.

With ADWD, it's slightly shorter than A STORM OF SWORDS, which is one volume in the USA. Bantam are a way off from releasing the ADWD paperback (not until the end of this year at the earliest, I believe), but it's unlikely they would split it.

However, ADWD is being split in the UK. The two volumes come out on 29 March and will be called DREAMS AND DUST and AFTER THE FEAST respectively.

My understanding is that printing costs are higher in the UK, so that printing one massive PB is not as cost effective as printing two smaller books. So UK publishers are more likely to split a book for PB release than the American counterparts.

Thanks, as always, Wert.

Jennifer - that's really interesting, actually. I worry about durability. I can say that copies of A Storm of Swords do NOT hold up and that is a pretty lengthy single-volume paperback by the same publisher (obviously) .

I would never object to buying a long book in two parts if it were to assure quality. I do most of my reading electronically these days, but I still love to have hard copies.

Fish

isn't WoK's in one volume in paper back?? i mean that book is considerably longer than DwD and i'm guessing MoL as well. so if Way of Kings wasn't split here in the US, i doubt either of those you listed will be split either.

ADWD is longer than WoK: 420,000 words to 395,000. WoK is two volumes in the UK in paperback as well.

It's not always the case the UK can't have long books, though. Peter F. Hamilton's NIGHT'S DAWN TRILOGY was two volumes each in the USA for many years, whilst the UK editions were one volume each (you can now get alternate one-volume editions in the USA, however).

Archived