DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine's Angreal Wish

Bromo Sapien

I'm currently in the middle of a reread of the series and just got to the start of the Big Ass Ending of tFoH. When I was reading the part when Moiraine pushes Lanfear into the doorframe ter'angreal, I noticed that Moiraine ended up with the acrobat bracelet angreal when she pushed Lanfear in.

[Lanfear] was turning a bracelet in her hands. An angreal; unless Rand had his own angreal, she should be able to crush him with that... At fist glance it seemed to be an acrobat bending backwards to grip his ankles... The Forsaken had an instant's warning, enough to turn before Moiraine struck her, clawing the bracelet away. Face to face, they toppled through the doorframe ter'angreal. White light swallowed everything

But then in ToM, she explicitly says that she asked the Finn for it.

"Do you have the angreal?

"Oh, yes," Thom said, fishing the strange bracelet out of his pocket. He put it on her arm.

"With this," Moiraine said, "I will be strong enough to at least take the pain away. They placed it on me to let me draw more of the Power, to make their feeding more succulent. I asked for it, actually, as one of my three demands.

Why would she ask for a bracelet she already had? Why would she have to have the Finn place it on her? The doorframe doesn't take you directly to the Finn, just into the Tower of Ghenjei. She would have more than enough time (and more than enough reason with Lanfear there) to put it on herself. The Finn wouldn't take it off themselves if it gave them more food (and better tasting at that). I'm just wondering if someone has an explanation for this.

Why would she ask for a bracelet she already had? Why would she have to have the Finn place it on her? The doorframe doesn't take you directly to the Finn, just into the Tower of Ghenjei. She would have more than enough time (and more than enough reason with Lanfear there) to put it on herself. The Finn wouldn't take it off themselves if it gave them more food (and better tasting at that). I'm just wondering if someone has an explanation for this.

iirc, there's a hard and fast rule about not channeling inside the ter'angreal devices, and that's probably the reason the device imploded. That thought in mind, they're obviously too busy battling it out (no idea why lanfear didn't simply smoke moiraine, unless the ghenji channeler-defenses are just that good) to worry about a dropped ter'angreal.

Finders, keepers?

The way it sounded to me in the tFoH quote above was that Moiraine took possession of the bracelet, not just let it drop. Lanfear had it on her wrist. Moiraine had to have grabbed it, not merely slapped it out of her hands or something. That could be how Moiraine survived within the Tower against Lanfear. If she over doubled her strength (and she was already one of the strongest AS pre-Finn), she should have been able to at least stalemate Lanfear. Otherwise ESM is right, Lanfear would have completely dominated Moiraine. Either a large number of Finn got to them both immediately somehow and captured them both before either could channel or Moiraine had the angreal before they got there.

The way it sounded to me in the tFoH quote above was that Moiraine took possession of the bracelet, not just let it drop. Lanfear had it on her wrist. Moiraine had to have grabbed it, not merely slapped it out of her hands or something. That could be how Moiraine survived within the Tower against Lanfear. If she over doubled her strength (and she was already one of the strongest AS pre-Finn), she should have been able to at least stalemate Lanfear. Otherwise ESM is right, Lanfear would have completely dominated Moiraine. Either a large number of Finn got to them both immediately somehow and captured them both before either could channel or Moiraine had the angreal before they got there.

Mmm. There are so many questions that would have been so easily explained if they had simply been burned out by the destruction of the doorway ter'angreal. *sigh*.

Here's another general question though, what happened to Moiraine's figurine angreal? :-)

Lanfear wasn't wearing it, she was turning it in her hands. It was from Rhuidean and Moir put it by the door frame so that Lanfear could take it, she didn't put it on. Also it says Moiraine "clawed it away" suggesting it fell imo, though it's very unclear.

The sight of Lanfear hit her like a blow. Not surprise, but the shock of seeing what had been in her dreams so often since Rhuidean. Lanfear standing on the wagonbed, blazing bright as the sun with saidar, framed by the twisted redstone ter’angreal as she stared down at Rand, a pitiless smile on her lips. She was turning a bracelet in her hands. An angreal; unless Rand had his own angreal, she should be able to crush him with that.

Moiraine did not like that circle of carved age-dark ivory. At first glance it seemed to be an

acrobat bending backwards to grip his ankles. Only a closer look would show that his wrists and ankles were

bound together. She did not like it, but she had brought it out of Rhuidean. Yesterday she had taken the bracelet

from a sack of odds-and-ends and left it lying there at the foot of the doorframe.

Moiraine struck her, clawing the bracelet away. Face to face, they toppled through the doorframe ter’angreal. White light swallowed everything.

Archived