DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The City Named for a Fan

Caveatar

I never heard Brandon say he named a city in the Blight after a fan. It would be interesting, and I'd like to see the relevant quote if it's true.

If it is, I doubt that it would be the blank in the Blight. That was obviously something really important, since according to the story it was RJ revealing that fact that made everyone decide to start recording everything on tape. So even if the blank in the Blight is a city, I doubt Brandon would announce it, and since it's something apparently really important to the story, RJ probably already had assigned it a name.

If BS did name a city in the Blight after a fan, it doesn't mean it's the blank. It could be a city that was part of Malkier, or something like that.

I never heard Brandon say he named a city in the Blight after a fan. It would be interesting, and I'd like to see the relevant quote if it's true.

If it is, I doubt that it would be the blank in the Blight. That was obviously something really important, since according to the story it was RJ revealing that fact that made everyone decide to start recording everything on tape. So even if the blank in the Blight is a city, I doubt Brandon would announce it, and since it's something apparently really important to the story, RJ probably already had assigned it a name.

If BS did name a city in the Blight after a fan, it doesn't mean it's the blank. It could be a city that was part of Malkier, or something like that.

Or a relic fortress Ishy has been using as a base since the AoL- he had the time and opportunity to set it up before he was sealed.

"Let's see, a few stasis boxes of goodies, my favorite frozen dinners, a gholam- the one that matches my favorite tie- my good boots, Aginor's lab equipment. . ."

I thought this for weeks already. I think one or two days after I saw the tweet that someone's name was used for a city, was the first time. But I kept forgetting to mention it.

It makes sense. Where else will we find cities that we do not know of yet (because the name is only chosen something like two or three months ago)? From the BWB we know about Seanchan and Sharan cities, and I doubt the LotM will have any cities. And of Randland we also know the city names, of course. And he said "city", not just "town", so it really has to be big. I think that each country has only one city in Randland, and that all others are called towns. So Malkier will also have just one. And, afaik, we also have the name of it.

*checks*

Yes. It's called "Seven Towers".

So, what have we left, except the _____ in the Blight that we already thought (I remember a thread about it) would be a city?

Or a relic fortress Ishy has been using as a base since the AoL- he had the time and opportunity to set it up before he was sealed.

"Let's see, a few stasis boxes of goodies, my favorite frozen dinners, a gholam- the one that matches my favorite tie- my good boots, Aginor's lab equipment. . ."

Wow, I just got this whole Island of Dr. M vibe. I wonder if RJ modeled the Trolloc and fade experiments after that book/movie.

I think that each country has only one city in Randland, and that all others are called towns.

Depends if we are counting Katar as part of Arad Doman, and I seem to remember some reference to Tear not allowing any other settlements within its borders to develop to such a level through heavy taxes on new construction except for in Godan. Trying to think of others though I am at a loss.

There are other cities. The capitals are the great cities.

Crossroads of Twilight, chapter 8: Whirlpools of Color

"It spread for well over a mile in every direction from the gray stone walls of a city halfway to the next rise. He knew the sprawl must be the same on the other side. It was not one of the great cities, not like Caemlyn or Tar Valon, less than four hundred paces wide along the side he could see and narrower on the others, it seemed, but still a city with high walls and towers and what looked like a fortress at the northmost end."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, I have heard of this supposed "city named after a fan", but I have not actually seen a quote provided for it.

Being such a big revelation, specially a city in the Blight (the BLANK or not) I would expect the forums to be on fire with the subject.

Could someone provide this quote?

Archived