DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favourite scene in the entire WoT?

number13

I also like when Mat turns a corner. After Rhuidean when he gains the memories and Lan/Rand are suspicious of the knowledge he's gained...

He sits down and draws up a battle plan in about 5seconds when they'd been working on it for over a week...and come out with more or less the same thing. Busted!

Right then I knew it was on and Mat was about to start kicking butt and taking names.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rand calling out the Darkfriends. Damned epic.

Really? That scene had so much potential to be epic but it was written in such a blunt way. It allowed the fan gratification of wanting to see Cads get slapped down carry the scene. As mentioned in other places I thought that one was a hugel missed opportunity.

Really? That scene had so much potential to be epic but it was written in such a blunt way. It allowed the fan gratification of wanting to see Cads get slapped down carry the scene. As mentioned in other places I thought that one was a hugel missed opportunity.

Cads? Huh? Was she even in that scene?

The scene where Rand walks down the line and calls out Weiramon and that chick. It was so epic and simple.

The scene where Rand walks down the line and calls out Weiramon and that chick. It was so epic and simple.

LOL my bad mate. Meant to quote this obvs...

Tam calling Cads a bully!!!!! Easily top 3.

LOL my bad mate. Meant to quote this obvs...

Tam calling Cads a bully!!!!! Easily top 3.

LOL! Damn you have me confused. I was like, damn was the scene that epic or do I hate Cads that much that I blocked her out of the scene. Have I been doing that?!!?!?!?!!

I was scared for a second.

It could have been more, but I'll admit my bias makes it make my list. And only my bias.

I disagree. I know a lot of people always want some kind of artsy, wordy, around the bush literature, but there is something to be said for blunt, plainspeak honesty, and Tam is the perfect character to deliver this. He isn't the wordy type. He's a down to earth kind of guy. Steadfast, unbudging, to the point but generally the gentle badass, but with that Two Rivers iron core. He has the quiet wisdom and indomitable spirit you can't help but respect. For Cads to break out the "I AM AES SEDAI, HEAR ME ROAR!!" and have Tam disabuse her of her superiority complex so bluntly was perfect, IMO. He called her bluff, plain and simple.

I disagree. I know a lot of people always want some kind of artsy, wordy, around the bush literature, but there is something to be said for blunt, plainspeak honesty, and Tam is the perfect character to deliver this. He isn't the wordy type. He's a down to earth kind of guy. Steadfast, unbudging, to the point but generally the gentle badass, but with that Two Rivers iron core. He has the quiet wisdom and indomitable spirit you can't help but respect. For Cads to break out the "I AM AES SEDAI, HEAR ME ROAR!!" and have Tam disabuse her of her superiority complex so bluntly was perfect, IMO. He called her bluff, plain and simple.

agreed, I enjoyed that the whole time Cad was riding on her legend to try and get what she wanted done, and failing that bullied her way across, Tam simply stripped her of her legend and in effect did to her what she was trying to do to rand

That is somewhat missing the point. It's not about Tam, it's about how the scene was laid out. Instead of the "remarkably adaptable" woman in RJ's notes we get Cads acting the dumb bully and then suprise...called one by Tam. The Cads from the early books would have been sickened by any AS who had to resort to threats with the power in that situation. She was turned into a caricature of herself and in doing so the entire scene losses depth and meaning. IMO it was a pretty big miss for all that many fans loved it becaue she finally got her comeuppance. Yet another of the many examples of BS "dumbing" down a character and and yes the plotwork was extremely blunt.

That is somewhat missing the point. It's not about Tam, it's about how the scene was laid out. Instead of the "remarkably adaptable" woman in RJ's notes we get Cads acting the dumb bully and then suprise...called one by Tam. The Cads from the early books would have been sickened by any AS who had to resort to threats with the power in that situation. She was turned into a caricature of herself and in doing so the entire scene losses depth and meaning. IMO it was a pretty big miss for all that many fans loved it becaue she finally got her comeuppance. Yet another of the many examples of BS "dumbing" down a character and and yes the plotwork was extremely blunt.

While a very capable and "adaptable" woman, she has been a bully since her introduction. Being very intelligent and powerful does not give one a free pass on being a bully. This scene didn't change who she was. She was already a bully when RJ was still doing the writing, she just didn't have anyone stand up to her the way Tam did. When Rand stood up to her it was always as an even bigger bully, but having this man, who was completely at her mercy (we know that Aes Sedai can't murder with the power, but he may or may not, and he was already in a terrifying situation) bluntly tell her the truth of her behavior took her aback and I think that she was put in her place NOT because she was dumbed down, but because Tam was right and shamed her.

Ones that made me laugh (though not faves, just haven't been mentioned yet):

After using the Bowl of the Winds and Elayne is running back down the hill and ends up falling head over heels, landing on her bum at Birgitte's feet.

Cerandin beating Nynaeve up with a stick when Nynaeve is too pushy (in the Circus)

Alhuin threatening to tie Thom to a bed with his cloak (TDR)

Mat's sneaking and hiding in the garden at the Palace at Caemlyn (delivering Elayne's letter) and then when he openly strolled in, not seeing a guard until meeting Tallanvor. Mat POV's are always funny IMO

Mat and Birgitte picking out eye candy for each other in Ebou Dar

Mat spanking Joline

While a very capable and "adaptable" woman, she has been a bully since her introduction. Being very intelligent and powerful does not give one a free pass on being a bully. This scene didn't change who she was. She was already a bully when RJ was still doing the writing, she just didn't have anyone stand up to her the way Tam did. When Rand stood up to her it was always as an even bigger bully, but having this man, who was completely at her mercy (we know that Aes Sedai can't murder with the power, but he may or may not, and he was already in a terrifying situation) bluntly tell her the truth of her behavior took her aback and I think that she was put in her place NOT because she was dumbed down, but because Tam was right and shamed her.

The problem being Cads never acted the "dumb" bully or bullied for no reason. She is meticulous in her planning and if not acting to reach her end game of saving Rand(she has had his back more than just about anyone), she almost unfailingly treats people based on their actions. We see her use a variety of methods(of which bullying is one) based on the situation at hand. We don't see her threaten in this way and again if you read her accomplishments in RJ's notes it's laughable to think about going so far as to actually use the OP in this situation. In one line she goes from asking Tam if he followed her script to lashing out with the power.

TGS

"Interesting," Cadsuane said, her voice cold. "And did you speak the words I prepared for you?"

"I began to," Tam said, "but I realized that it wasn't working. He wouldn't open up to me, and well he shouldn't. A man using an Aes Sedai script with his own son! I don't know what you did to him, woman, but I recognize hatred when I see it. You have a lot to explain to—"

Tam cut off as he was suddenly lifted into the air by unseen hands.

Lowest common denominator plotwork and an action that is totally out of character for her. Not to mention the writing races from point A to point B as if BS is checking an item off a list from the outline. This could have been brilliant but instead we get a few throwaway lines and a passage almost devoid of meaning. Her character is dumbed down and fan gratification is allowed to carry the scene instead of good writing.

Cads herself may have been near her wits end with the entire situation and lost her composure. Just tossing that out there.

Oh I'll grant you that could be true. If ever a time there is a fair possibility that this would be it, even if the rapidity and manner of her lashing out beggars belief. Regardless there are a number of ways to portray that happening in a really cool way, this unfortunately was not one of them. Again I think this was a potentially great scene that happened to come up well short.

Way to many.

Taims arrival in LoC.

Dumais Wells, especially the "Kneel or be knelt" line. And the exploding heads.

Mat in TGS, complaining about women throwing blank dice.

Nynaeve making Myrelle pass her Lans bond. That was awesome.

Last one for now although theres probably more-Rands meeting with Moridin in the Dream in TGS. Particularly Moridins response when Rand says he can kill DO. "I doubt you could comprehend the magnitude of the stupidity of your statement. You are wrong." (add to that more or less every single scene where theyve seen each others faces through the bond. Cant get enough of that stuff. Long distance staring matches! Rand needs to get all "Im comig for you, bitch!")

Cads herself may have been near her wits end with the entire situation and lost her composure. Just tossing that out there.

Oh I'll grant you that could be true. If ever a time there is a fair possibility that this would be it, even if the rapidity and manner of her lashing out beggars belief. Regardless there are a number of ways to portray that happening in a really cool way, this unfortunately was not one of them. Again I think this was a potentially great scene that happened to come up well short.

come on sutt give over we have hasd long discussions on it until luckers banned it, but she does act as a bully, even you agree. It is just the matter of sementics as you say she is our friendly, neighbourhood bully and others maintain that she is just a bully and people like me who have maintained that she uses what she needs but yes she i8s a bully and I do not know about fan gratification. I for one like cads and I have said it many times, but having said that. I liked that scene and the way Tam stood up to her. This scene was not just about Cads but rather what makes Rand tick. Here was the man who Rand idolized as the only father he knew and he rerfused to bend his neck against the force. It was a beautiful scene where she is told that she went about the wrong way trying to convince Rand. Befor you let go please be cleart that this is the impression that I got from the scene. Iwill quote from hopme lol

come on sutt give over we have hasd long discussions on it until luckers banned it, but she does act as a bully, even you agree. It is just the matter of sementics as you say she is our friendly, neighbourhood bully and others maintain that she is just a bully and people like me who have maintained that she uses what she needs but yes she i8s a bully and I do not know about fan gratification. I for one like cads and I have said it many times, but having said that. I liked that scene and the way Tam stood up to her. This scene was not just about Cads but rather what makes Rand tick. Here was the man who Rand idolized as the only father he knew and he rerfused to bend his neck against the force. It was a beautiful scene where she is told that she went about the wrong way trying to convince Rand. Befor you let go please be cleart that this is the impression that I got from the scene. Iwill quote from hopme lol

Give over what? No one is discussing how she uses bullying as a tactic. We are discussing the wasted potential in this scene. Not sure how you could think having Cads "coldly" discussing why Tam went off script to lashing out with the power in ONE sentence, which runs counter to everything she has done up until this point, is good writing? It was blunt lowest common denominator plot work. He had Cads for the first time in the series act like a "dumb" bully and then called one by Tam. It turned her into a caricature and played to fan gratification in order to carry the scene. I have quoted part of it but by all means quote the rest. The whole scene only takes one paragraph after all. There was nothing beautiful about it and that is the point. It had the potential to be amazing. Tams emotion for his son, Cads at her wits end with her plan to save Rand hanging in the balance(remember at this point no one knows her plan worked yet). It could have been epic, it was a huge wasted opportunity.

Scenes that come to mind:

NS: Final fight scene: Lan and Moiraine vs Ryne and what's her name

EotW: Four Kings chapter

tGH: Rand and Loial stealth mission to capture the horn and dagger

tDR: Mat being healed in Tar Valon; purely for the old tongue yelling at the Aes Sedai!

tSR: First trolloc attack on Emond's field & final trolloc attack on Emond's field where Faile et al., come to the rescue

FoH: Mat taking command of the hapless Tairen and Cairhenien soldiers.

LoC: Taim saying “Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon,” he said softly, “or you will be knelt.” at Dumai's Wells

?aCoS or PoD?: Shaido Aiel being dropped into a battle between Rand's forces and Sammuel's

WH: The entire cleansing scene

KoD: Attack on Algarin's manor

tGS: VoG

ToM: All parts of the Battle for Maradon

Under the Oak is probably on the top 3 of everybody.

Just an awesome chapter. I never tire of rereading it! And I usually break any boredom spell by reading Mat's chapters in CoT and KoD. And for laughs, I read his entry in Salidar and Bowl of Winds parts.

Matrim Cauthon is my husband. Matrim Cauthon is my husband. Bloody Matrim Cauthon is my husband.

THIS!

Every time I read that, I'm like "Damn! The bugger pulled it off!"

Archived