DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favourite scene in the entire WoT?

number13

Some excellent nostalgia thanks to you all. I wanted to list a few I hadn't seen already, but I'm sure I'm still overlapping a bit. I tried though!

1 Rand getting a little too into his part and chunking Perrin off the wall during their pretend/staged "fight."

2 Mat playing Maidens Kiss.

3 Nynaeve having daggers thrown at her with apples on her head.

4 Mat basically disecting Rhuarcs Battle Plan to Lan in ten seconds flat.

5 The KOD Deathgates.

6 Verin reminiscing about sliding her dagger into some dude while he smiled at her.

7 Mat "wolfing down" food then choking on it after just criticizing a seasick Nynaeve about being a glutton.

8 Cadsuane rescuing Rand. Cadsuane biatchslapping Harine.

9 Berelain and Mats hallway encounter. Berelain and Failes hallway encounter.

10 Rands answer to Lan on the roof when Lan ask Rand to let him drop.

"When the sun turns green."

Fish

Well done Fish, Well done

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just waaaay too many to choose from, but a couple off the top of my head:

1) Rand and Egwene talking after he channels at the EotW. That scene was what sunk the hook in me for a 20+ year ride on the WoT.

2) Anything with Lan, but especially the scene when Nyn walks into the first inn after making Lan promise to take the long way to the Gap.

3) I'm also partial to anything with Min from the last 4-5 books or so (basically once she is hanging with Rand full-time).

bah, the list would be waaay shorter if it was a list of the scenes that I DON'T like. That would be a very short list :)

I was just thinking I really liked the part in TOM after Nynaeve finds out she can heal the taint on male channelers, Her and Rand are talking and he tells Her he would like Her to be by his side and linked with Him in the Last Battle.....[ i get a little choked up].....and then she just hugs him...cant help but smile.. Shes a bad ass gal!

Futurehermit said:

2) Anything with Lan, but especially the scene when Nyn walks into the first inn after making Lan promise to take the long way to the Gap.

I think a few others mentioned this scene as well. I read this scene earlier today, so I thought I'd give a play-by-play of my reactions to the scene:

The scene opens with Weilin Aldragoran, a Malkieri jewel merchant, concluding a large deal with some Illianer merchants at The Queens Lance, a tavern in a town in Saldea... A woman leans on his table, addressing him as Master Aldragoran and inquiring about his pigeons.

Aldragoran notices all of her jewelry, some cheap, some quite fine, but he notes her great serpent ring, and then the ki'sain on her forehead. He chooses to be courteous to her. "How may I help you, Aes Sedai? You wish me to send a message with my pigeons? It will be my pleasure."

***This is going to be good...***

"A message to each merchant you correspond with. Tarmon Gai'don is coming soon."

Aldragoran shrugged uneasily. "That has nothing to do with me, Aes Sedai. I'm a merchant. But I will send your message."

***Not the right answer for Nyneave, I bet...***

"Do you recognize this?" she asked, fishing a leather cord from the neck of her dress.

His breath caught, and stretched out a hand, brushed a finger across the heavy gold signet ring on the cord. Under the Light, how? "I recognize it." he said with a voice suddenly hoarse.

*** I realized I have started to hold my breath as I read...***

"My name is Nyneave ti al'Meara Mandragoran. The message I want sent is this: My husband rides for from World's End toward Tarwin's Gap, toward Tarmon Gai'don. Will he ride alone?"

*** My throat has constricted, forcing an audible intake of breath. Goose bumps cover my arms, shoulders and legs.***

Aldragoran trembled, not knowing whether the sounds coming from within him were laughter or sobs. She was his wife??? "I will send your message, my Lady, but it has nothing to do with me. I am a merchant. Malkier is dead. Dead, I tell you."

"Lan told me once that Malkier lives so long as one man wears the hadori in pledge that he will fight the Shadow, so long as one woman wears the ki'sain in pledge she will send her sons to fight the Shadow. My husband wears the hadori. So do you. Will Lan Mandragoran ride to the Last Battle alone?"

He was laughing, shaking with it. And yet he could feel tears running down his cheeks. It was madness! complete madness! "He will not my lady. I cannot stand surety for anyone else, but I swear to you under the Light and by my hope of rebirth and salvation, he will not ride alone."

***tears are now streaming down my cheeks***

"The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai'don," softly spoken.

"The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai'don!" Managon shouts.

"The Golden Crane flies for Tarmon Gai'don!" They all shout at the top of their lungs.

-------------------------------

I get much the same reaction when I read the scene in tGH when the Horn is blown, when Mah'alleinir is forged in ToM, when Rand breaks through the shields and then his box- then Asha'men destroy Shaido in LoC, when Perrin sends "Come" to the wolves in tDR as the Trollocs and Myrdraal attack. There have been many, many times I have been left with tears and goose bumps due to the beauty of the words and scenes conveyed through this series.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since anyone's posted in this thread, figured I'd try and kick it back into gear.

In the WoT series there's been so many fantastic moments, and to think i started reading it by borrowing a friends copy to read whilst hungover.

Top ten(The portions i regularly go back and read)

1)Perrin Witnessing Rand being consumed by the darkness, then the light bursting forwards. (First time i read that passage i was crying in full, all time favorite scene from anything, ever.

2)Rand destroying the enormous Trolloc Horde in ToM

3)Perrin forging Mah'alleinir

4)Rand breaking out of the box and going to town on the various Aes Sedai he encountered.

5)Cleansing of Saidin

6)Rand dominating the Aes Sedai that come to meet with him and cover themselves in the Mirror of Mists, resulting in him slicing their weaves(basically a great big slap down)

7)Rand's fight with his Mirror Self(s) and his conversation with Berelain before hand.

8)Mat chasing Tuon on horseback after giving her the Razer as a gift.

9)Rand and Aviendha's run through the snow/pond and the event afterwards.

10)Any time Rand scared the heck out of people for being so damn powerful, eg. messing with Elayne and Egwene, destroying the shadowspawn in the Stone of Tear, etc.

• 2 months later...

New Spring: Moiraine's testing, Moiraine bonding Lan

The Eye Of The World: When Perrin finds out about the wolf within him; Lan & Nynaeve when she admits to him she loves him; The final battle with Aginor and Baltamel.

The Great Hunt: Nynaeve's testing for Accepted; The moment with Lan, Nynaeve and The Ring; The rescue of Egwene from the Seanchan; The blow of The Horn ; All events that happend in Falme.

The Dragon Reborn: Egwene's testing; Mat acting like a hero, wanting to save the girls; Tear; Moiraine defeats Belaal; Rand slays Ishamael

The Shadow Rising: Rand and Aviendha moments; Rand sees the past of the Aiel; Nynaeve defeats Moghedien ; Perrin and Faile defend the Two Rivers and Perrin giving himself to The Whiteclocks to protect the others.

The Fires Of Heaven: "Far Snow"; Nynaeve and Valan Luka's proposal :biggrin: :biggrin:; Birgitte saving Nyn from Moghedien and Elayne making her her Warder; Nyn nad Galad's meeting; Mat leads the nobles versus Shaido and killing Kuladin ; Nynaeve defeats Moghedien ; Moiraine defeats Lanfear and her death; Nynaeve helping Rand in TAR and Rand telling her he and Lan are too dangerous for her and Elayne.

Lord Of Chaos: Egwene Amyrlin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ; Nynaeve and Elayne become Aies Sedai; Nyn kicks Mat! Priceless :biggrin: ; Dumai's Wells

Crown Of Swords: Lan saves Nyaneve from Moghedien and their marriage; Egwene proves she's Great Amyrlin; Mat saves Elayne and Nynaeve from the gholam.; Rand defeats Samael

Path Of Daggers: Elayne coming back to Andor and claiming her love for Rand; " A Cup Of Sleep" ; Egwene declares war to Elaida.

Winter's Heart: Mat meets Tuon for the first time; Cleansing of saidin

Crossroads Of Twilight: Mat and Tuon; All with Egwene

Knife Of Dreams: Mat and Tuon marriage; Egwene and her one great chapter; Perrin finally gets Faile back; Mat fonds out Moiraine is alive; The whole "Golden Crane" chapter. Nynaeve was awesome with the Malkieri. ; Rand capturing Semirage

The Gathering Storm: Egwene's defense of th White Tower and her official acceptance from all Aies Sedai. Finally!!!; Rand and Nyn meet The Daughter Of The Nine Moons and Nynaeve defenses Mat. 'All Rand-Nynaeve moments; Rand on the Dragon Mount and his epiphany.

Towers Of Midnight; Lan riding with the borderlanders; Perrin killing The Slayer; Nynaeve and Rand saying goodbye to each other and their hug; Nynaeve;s testing. The way she stood to Aies Sedai who wonted her to fail and die, was awesome.' Nynaeve taking the bond of Lan from Mirele.; Egwene defeats Mesaana and bonding Gawin ; Rand in "Storm Of Light" ; Moiraine's rescue nad her telling Tom she loves him.

Sorry if it's too long!

I personally love the Battle near Shadar Logoth. I loved how this included so many of the Forsaken and how all the other Aes Sedai, Ashaman, and other channelers were fighting against them. That whole scene where it was a huge fight against amazing channelers was really good.

- Perrins forging scenes both in Tear and Mah'alleinir

- Rands first meeting with Siuan Sanche, when Lan tells him how to act in the old ways

- Mats scene in the shady inn just before he hunts the Gholam, he takes of his scarf, grabs his spear and puts on his hat

- When Mat teaches his Band the song of Jak o' the Shadows after the battle in Cairhien

- Mat whipping the asses of Gawyn and Galad with his staff

- Egwene vs Elaida in the White Tower

the scene where Egwene and Elayne go to try and teach rand something about how to channel, and then they piss him off and he channels 6-7 weaves at once and they just sit there dumbstruck.

when rand busts out of the box and then subjuctates the AS who put him there

I really enjoyed the whole perrin's return to the Two Rivers sequence

when dark rand slaps down cadsuane verbally

This one was actually a bummer. If you think about it the scenario had so much potential to be a truly epic scene, but it was written in such a blunt way. Instead of the "remarkably adaptable" woman RJ describes in his notes Cads acted the dumb bully and then was called out as such. Total lowest common denominator plot work.

This one was actually a bummer. If you think about it the scenario had so much potential to be a truly epic scene, but it was written in such a blunt way. Instead of the "remarkably adaptable" woman RJ describes in his notes Cads acted the dumb bully and then was called out as such. Total lowest common denominator plot work.

I just list it because it finally happened, one of the women who was the most overbearing got called out and got the fear put into her

I've seen this scene being labeled as blunt and somehow dissapointing multiple times by Cadsuane fans on these boards. I thought it was well executed, especially for a scene we all knew was coming. For the most part, Cadsuane is an overbearing person, and it's usually for a good cause. But she does have bullying tendencies to her (i.e. altering her rules of conduct in order to strike Rand in the face in front of a bunch of people) and needed to be put in her place. Tell me that scene didn't make her look dumb as well.

Towers Of Midnight; ... Perrin killing The Slayer; ...

this didn't happen...

some of my favourite moments, lets go with ones that haven't been mentioned as much.

-perrin recognizing rand as "shadowkiller"

-rand defeating blademaster Turok

-perrin kills a fade like a wolf would (hamstrings, etc)

-matt beating galad and gawyn simultaneously while sick :)

-lan evaluating matt's battle knowledge in the tent, before rand shows up

-nyn healing logain

I've never really been bothered by it. Everyone makes mistakes, and Cadsuane is no different, she's not perfect. Until then she had pretty much done everything right. I feel like every character has to screw up at one point or another.

I've never really been bothered by it. Everyone makes mistakes, and Cadsuane is no different, she's not perfect. Until then she had pretty much done everything right. I feel like every character has to screw up at one point or another.

That was actually my mistake, I was thinking of the Tam scene not the Rand one.

That was actually my mistake, I was thinking of the Tam scene not the Rand one.

I kinda liked the Tam one too, but I read it as her actions being an indication of how frustrated and nearing the end of her wits on what to do, not as an totally out of character thing

Well, this one is very difficult to say. At first, I thought of Lord Ingtar coming back to the light and Rand finishing the scene with " The light shine on you, Lord Ingtar of House Shinowa, and may you shelter in the palm of the creators hand. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home!" This is very moving for me, with the redemption and all. Then I jump to Rand seeing his father in Tear after destroying the access key. That, again, was extremely moving. Yet another redemption. The last thought, came when Lan has raised the Golden Crane and bellows to the dark ones minnions, "I am al'Lan Mandragoran, Lord of the Seven Towers, Defender of the Wall of First Fires, Bearer of the Sword of the Thousand Lakes! I was once named Aan'allein, but I reject that title, for I am alne no more. Fear me, Shadow! Fear me and know. I have returned for what is mine. I may be a king without a land. BUT I AM STILL KING!" Got a lump in my throat just typing. Well, I look forward to seeing this battle unfold.

Archived