DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was Rand's first experience with channellinh?

Dagon Thyne

I always assumed that Rand's first channeling experience was the lighting bolt that struck the inn in Four Kings. My friend claims that was caused by he and Mat being Ta'varen, but I pointed out that Rand became ill after that, which is known to be a side effect of coming into ones' power. I just find it weird that Rand would fall ill just after a lighting bolt strikes to save him. If the sickness had been caused by cold, there would have been some sign of him being sick beforehand, but there was not.

I always assumed that Rand's first channeling experience was the lighting bolt that struck the inn in Four Kings. My friend claims that was caused by he and Mat being Ta'varen, but I pointed out that Rand became ill after that, which is known to be a side effect of coming into ones' power. I just find it weird that Rand would fall ill just after a lighting bolt strikes to save him. If the sickness had been caused by cold, there would have been some sign of him being sick beforehand, but there was not.

Rand first time was when he gave Bela extra energy during their escape from Two Rivers. Second was when he caused the boom to swing during the fight with trollocs on the river boat. Both times he experienced symptoms afterward. Also you are correct about him channeling the lighting in Four Kings.

Rand first time was when he gave Bela extra energy during their escape from Two Rivers. Second was when he caused the boom to swing during the fight with trollocs on the river boat. Both times he experienced symptoms afterward. Also you are correct about him channeling the lighting in Four Kings.

Correct. The hints are when Moiraine describes the effects of touching the source to Egwene (I think) on the way to Baerlon. In Baerlon, after Bela's run, Rand has the weird reckless/lightheaded confrontation with the Children of the Light (Dain Bornhald, IIRC). Moiraine even comments on this later. After the boom on the boat, he has the episode climbing the mast/crow's nest and swinging around without his hands or feet.

Archived