DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Time to roll the dice

number13

Hullo all,

I'm 13 (aged 30, just to avoid confuzzlement!) and I've been a WoT fan since stupid o'clock, so to speak.

Currently having just finished my most recent readthrough (and thanking the Creator for my Kindle - what a difference to the commute not having to lug around a 1000 page hardback on the train!) and decided I wanted to talk to people about the series.

I've managed to finally, after years of trying, talk my soon-to-be wife into reading the books (sidethanks to George R R Martin for providing an entry point to get her into epic fantasy), but she's only at TDR at the moment!

In the same way fans of Friends think they're as funny as Chandler, I like to think of Mat as being the character most reflective of me, however my general humour attempts are more often met with the equivalent of "Wetlander humour is strange..."

Don't know what else to say really. Tai'shar, umm, Scotland? :)

Hey there, 13 ... wasn't there some TV series many years ago about some Canadian (or Alaskan) wild man with a donkey called 13?

Aaaanyhoo ... welcome to DM! I'm pretty sure most (Randland) people have the same reaction to Mat's idea of humour - especially the women :P

Whereabouts in Scotland are you from? I'm from Cape Town in South Africa.

Hey there, 13 ... wasn't there some TV series many years ago about some Canadian (or Alaskan) wild man with a donkey called 13?

Aaaanyhoo ... welcome to DM! I'm pretty sure most (Randland) people have the same reaction to Mat's idea of humour - especially the women :P

Whereabouts in Scotland are you from? I'm from Cape Town in South Africa.

I have absolutely no idea. I'm now even more worried about Canada than I was before! :p

I'm sort of from all over Scotland, really. I'd say Glasgow is my home, but Edinburgh's where I mainly am now.

District 9 has destroyed all my South African friendships (all two of them!) as I have to continually ask them to quote choice lines for my amusement.

Is it even possible to worry too much about Canada? *angel face* ... joking! I love my Canadian friends :biggrin:

District 9 was a brilliant movie. And for once, they got the accents right :P

So have you had a look around DM yet? Got any questions for us? What about WoT do you like so much that you decided to join a site dedicated to it?

Is it even possible to worry too much about Canada? *angel face* ... joking! I love my Canadian friends :biggrin:

District 9 was a brilliant movie. And for once, they got the accents right :P

So have you had a look around DM yet? Got any questions for us? What about WoT do you like so much that you decided to join a site dedicated to it?

I've been having a browse, yeah. The Arists section could be interesting - I'm no artist (believe me!) but I've been thinking of making myself some self-designed t-shirts around the theme of WoT for a while and might put some designs in there to see what folk think.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying some of the discussion - nice to see some random theories that I've not come across before - and throwing some of my own in as well.

As for the books - I'm a big fan of epic fantasy, and big sprawling epics are where it's at. WoT is one I've been reading since I was a kid, so I feel like the series has grown with me. Other than WoT, the Dune books are up there with my favourites (the ORIGINAL Dune books, that is - don't get me started on where the series has gone since Frank Herbert's death) and the Discworld series.

Random question - do you have any truly weird mental pictures of a WoT character that you just can't give up?

For me (and for example), I always picture Thom as a sort of live-action version of Cacophonix from the Asterix books...

1527638960.gif

(Only with grey hair!)

OMG now THAT'S who Thom has always reminded me of! LMAO! Man, I absolutely LOVE the Asterix comics, but I never connected it *grins*

The weird mental pic for me is Lan - that one French rugby player (Sebastien Chabal) is exactly how I picture him. *Goes to hunt down a pic*

prophet1.jpg

OMG now THAT'S who Thom has always reminded me of! LMAO! Man, I absolutely LOVE the Asterix comics, but I never connected it *grins*

The weird mental pic for me is Lan - that one French rugby player (Sebastien Chabal) is exactly how I picture him. *Goes to hunt down a pic*

prophet1.jpg

It's the whiskers. I think for those of us of a certain vintage, Whiskers + Bard = Cacophonix. :)

I always picture Lan as looking like he's walked straight out of a Kurosawa movie. Yojimbo, if memory serves... *goes to check*

Yep!

12591597680_midi.jpg

(You can just about see Nynaeve in the background there... ;) )

I can see where you're coming from tho. The rugby dude is more like a young version of my in-head Bashere, actually!

Hi and welcome to DM, 13! :)

OMG. Thom is so Cacophonix! I don't have that kind of mental pictures, (so far at least :), but those sure are fun to watch :)

Who is your least favorite WoT character? (if you have one :P)

Who's your fave Forsaken?

Feel free to ask if you've got any questions about DM!

I hope you will like it here! biggrin.gif

Hi and welcome to DM, 13! :)

OMG. Thom is so Cacophonix! I don't have that kind of mental pictures, (so far at least :), but those sure are fun to watch :)

Who is your least favorite WoT character? (if you have one :P)

Who's your fave Forsaken?

Feel free to ask if you've got any questions about DM!

I hope you will like it here! biggrin.gif

Owch, tough question - favourite character in the series? The easy answer would be Mat, but I think that's too easy - you're supposed to love the main heroes, after all. So, leaving aside the main characters, I'd probably go for Noal - I love the fact that there's a huge gap between who he was and who he is, and we're left to imagine and fill in the blanks ourselves. Everything about him - the broken knuckles, the way he wins people over effortlessly, but above all, that mystery. What happened to make him who he is and to bring him down so far. Compelling.

Fave Forsaken - I'm going to cheat here and ask if I can have Shadar Haran instead. He's delightfully dark and evil without even the tiniest spark of humanity. It makes him heaps of fun!

:myrddraal:

Welcome to DM!

If you could kill any one character from the books, who would it be? (don't worry about changing the story)

Hahah, nice question.

Hard to say for sure - there are a few candidates, and also different reasons.

So, two choices:

Because I really don't like them and they annoy the heck out of me choice: Bleric and Fen. As warders they were utterly useless at rescuing their AS from Seanchan leashes and they treat the one they should be bending over backward to thank like dirt.

Because I think it would be a great moment in the story itself choice: Tam. On seeing Rand struggling, maybe being overcome by Fain or the like, Tam hurls himself into a suicidal attack designed to buy Rand enough time to recover/get away, etc. Big, epic, heart-wrenching noble sacrifice (a bit like Thom and the Whitebridge Myrdraal, except fatal) and a focal point for the characters to rally around.

Archived