DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat's memories

MatTuon

I was just rereading The Eye Of the World for the first time, and from my memory from reading all the books I had thought that Mat had developed those memories because of what happened to him with the Aelfinn. But when they run into the trollocs after escaping Baerlon and Rand and Perrin are shouting Manetheren, Mat shouts the warcry of the last king and when asked what he said, he says he doesn't remember. And Egwene said for a moment that she had thought she understood him. Like I said, its been a long time since I read these originally, did this scene mean anything, does Mat already have some memories of this king in him.

Yes it does. Consider Moiraine's comment:

“Carai an Caldazar,” Moiraine said. They all twisted to stare at her. “Carai an Ellisande. Al Ellisande. For the honor of the Red Eagle. For the honor of the Rose of the Sun. The Rose of the Sun. The ancient warcry of Manetheren, and the warcry of its last king. Eldrene was called the Rose of the Sun.” Moiraine’s smile took in Egwene and Mat both, though her gaze may have rested a moment longer on him than on her. “The blood of Arad’s line is still strong in the Two Rivers. The old blood still sings.”

Memories like this crop up in Mat's head from time to time. There's another one, when he's being healed from the ruby dagger:

Mat’s eyes opened, and he glared at the women standing around him. “Mia ayende, Aes Sedai! Caballein mirain ye! Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misain ye! Mia ayende!”

“What was that he was shouting, Mother?” Elayne asked, then hastily added, “If I may ask.”

“He was ordering soldiers.” The Amyrlin gave the young man lying on the table a quizzical look. He had not moved since collapsing, but Egwene thought his breathing seemed easier, the rise and fall of his chest more rhythmic. “In a battle two thousand years gone, I would say. The Old Blood comes again.”

Some have suggested that Mat may be Aemon reborn.

Yes it does. Consider Moiraine's comment:

“Carai an Caldazar,” Moiraine said. They all twisted to stare at her. “Carai an Ellisande. Al Ellisande. For the honor of the Red Eagle. For the honor of the Rose of the Sun. The Rose of the Sun. The ancient warcry of Manetheren, and the warcry of its last king. Eldrene was called the Rose of the Sun.” Moiraine’s smile took in Egwene and Mat both, though her gaze may have rested a moment longer on him than on her. “The blood of Arad’s line is still strong in the Two Rivers. The old blood still sings.”

Memories like this crop up in Mat's head from time to time. There's another one, when he's being healed from the ruby dagger:

Mat’s eyes opened, and he glared at the women standing around him. “Mia ayende, Aes Sedai! Caballein mirain ye! Inde muagdhe Aes Sedai misain ye! Mia ayende!”

“What was that he was shouting, Mother?” Elayne asked, then hastily added, “If I may ask.”

“He was ordering soldiers.” The Amyrlin gave the young man lying on the table a quizzical look. He had not moved since collapsing, but Egwene thought his breathing seemed easier, the rise and fall of his chest more rhythmic. “In a battle two thousand years gone, I would say. The Old Blood comes again.”

Aemon being...

Would that mean that all his battle memories were from his previous life as Aemon, king of Manetheren or did he get additional memories of other people from the Aelfinn. It has been awhile so I'm not really sure if his battle memories were from different spans of time or could have just all been from the life/battles of the king? It is definitely fun rereading it again after such a long break, lol. I didn't remember that he had started so early in the book with spouting words in the old tongue.

Would that mean that all his battle memories were from his previous life as Aemon, king of Manetheren or did he get additional memories of other people from the Aelfinn. It has been awhile so I'm not really sure if his battle memories were from different spans of time or could have just all been from the life/battles of the king? It is definitely fun rereading it again after such a long break, lol. I didn't remember that he had started so early in the book with spouting words in the old tongue.

The battle memories were what he had fill his head from the Aelfinn. They were from different people, times and countries. That is why his accent etc. changes when talking with Bridget.

The few old tongue words and phrases are attributed to the "old blood" or Aemon.

The few old tongue words and phrases are attributed to the "old blood" or Aemon.

There's more to it than a few words and phrases though. His complete fluency in the OT, even if sub-conscientiously, upon entering the first redstone doorway in Tear says there is more to it, a lot more.

Archived