DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A missed Verin clue?

bluecole

Okay, if this has been mentioned. . . .you know.

I've read WOT 5-6 times, and never caught this. In TGH, in the chapter titled "Kinslayer" (page 243 in the mass market paperback) Rand is having a dream. He's already tripped through the portal stone, and Ba'alzy appears. They verbally spar for a minute, and then Ba'alzy says,

"..."but my followers number even some of their own. The Aes Sedai called Moiraine told you who you are, did she not?"

At this point, Mo has only told 1 person who the DR is; Suian. But Verin figured it out, and flatout asked them. Verin was also there when the Amyrlin told Rand he was the DR.

So could it be that Verin told Ba'alzy (or someone) that Rand was the DR, and we just missed it?

Thanks,

B.

Yeah, i think that particular remark from old fire-face wasn't about somebody telling him Rand is the DR, but rather raising suspicion in Rand's mind, trying to get him to distrust Moiraine. In fact, it would be the total opposite for Verin. He wouldn't want to tip him off about her. He would (i presume anyway, he wasnt exactly sane at that time) want Rand to trust Verin, thus keeping an informant close etc...

As already mentioned, Ishamael already knew Rand was the Dragon Reborn. Myself, I am not sure of the exact moment, Four Kings seems most possible, but not sure. In any case, it was definitely known when Rand took saidin from the Eye and fought Ishamael over Tarwin s Gap etc...

Yes that it was, however there are hints in other points, one of the 2 Aes Sedai at the meeting that Bors attended was Verin, I don't remember the specific description but she was there.

You are saying there are hints that it was specifically Verin as opposed to just any regular AS at the DF social? Would be interested to see that...

The whole "Moiraine sent me" when she didn't was the first major clue in TGH I believe.

Yeah, that was definitely the biggest. I remember seeing it brought up quite often in Verin discussions pre-TGS. Since most people were certain because of Verin's POVs that she couldn't be Black (remember the Purple Ajah theory?), it was usually written off as some sort of mental gymnastics around the First Oath, since I believe Moiraine had said something about looking after Rand.

Okay, if this has been mentioned. . . .you know.

I've read WOT 5-6 times, and never caught this. In TGH, in the chapter titled "Kinslayer" (page 243 in the mass market paperback) Rand is having a dream. He's already tripped through the portal stone, and Ba'alzy appears. They verbally spar for a minute, and then Ba'alzy says,

"..."but my followers number even some of their own. The Aes Sedai called Moiraine told you who you are, did she not?"

At this point, Mo has only told 1 person who the DR is; Suian. But Verin figured it out, and flatout asked them. Verin was also there when the Amyrlin told Rand he was the DR.

So could it be that Verin told Ba'alzy (or someone) that Rand was the DR, and we just missed it?

Thanks,

B.

i dont think so, i think it was guess work from him, knowing that moiraine had been the one to whisk him away from 2Rs

yeah, but reading the entire section leads the reader to think he was specifically told Rand was the one. About the same time, Ba'alzy quit chasing Matt and Perrin.

Ba'alzamon already knew who Mat and Perrin were because of the dreams with the figurines. I remember in text that Mat picked up the one with the Shadar Logoth dagger, not so sure about Perrin but yellow eyes were a dead giveaway, Perrin didn't know enough about Tel'Aran'Rhiod back then to conciously make his eyes appear 'normal'.

Archived