DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ideas,random thoughts, and possible endings?(some spoilers)

Big3

Hi I'm new the forum and want to say I love your topics. I just finished reading ToM this past Friday. I started reading the Wheel of Time series last November and I couldn't put books down. I have many random thoughts and maybe some possible endings. I would love to read what you think.

1) When I started reading these books and when the Seanchan started arriving to conquer Artur's old lands I thought that Rand, Aiel, and the other nations would have settled this before going to the Last Battle. Whether they fought them out of their land or made peace with them or something. So I think this will be resolved after the Last Battle like in the 2nd half of the aMoL along with all the characters be resolved. Now talking about the Seanchan Empress, Fortuona, after seeing Trollocs for the first time wouldn't you think that they should see, "Hey maybe we should help fight in the Last Battle instead of 'reclaiming' our Ancestor's lands from 3000 years ago these Trollocs are real Maybe Mat is more right than I think".(On a side note I hope we read that more Trollocs, Mydraal(sp?), and other things attack Seanchan so the empress can see for herself.) Now random thought wouldn't Fortuona or Tuon leave to go and resolve or calm things down in Seandar? I also think one or 2 Forsaken are manipulating Tuon. I also hope that Rand, Mat, or someone put a collar on Tuon to see that she can channel and stop denying it already.

2) I hope Aviendha tells Rand about what she saw when she went Rhuidean about the Seanchan and that Rand needs to find Aiel a purpose other than fighting or something. What will happen to the Aiel? I don't know why I think but maybe they become builders of some sort instead of fighting.

3) Why can't anyone heal those 2 wounds of Rand's???? I'm thinking when Aliva(sp?) kills Rand and he lives again he will be healed. Isn't that what Rand asked how can he live after the Last Battle and the Snakes(Aeflinn sp?) said he must die?

4) Perrin, I am glad that he finally accepted being leader. Faile used to bother me but in the last book she has finally let Perrin do most of thinking and she is finally not in a rush to get herself in danger.

5) Mat is just funny and cool. I keep wondering will he be part of the Last Battle or will he help maintain Camelyn before the Trollocs destroy everything. Lucky Olver opened that letter. I hope he can still fight.

6) Need to say this the borderlanders are badasses but I also think the Aiel are just as tough.

7) Throughout the whole series everyone was giving Rand a hard time about what he should do and act. Damnn people how much pressure can 1 man take????

8) Egwene. Why does everyone here can't stand her? I know she can be annoying but she has a tough job ahead of her.

9) Will we ever see Rand and Galad talk to each other about their mother? They are half brothers. Will we see Rand ask about his parents? I loved when rand apologized to Tam I hope to see another conversation between the 2.

10) I hope Lan doesn't die. I would like to see Nynaeve and Lan together at the end of the book. She has grown on me throughout the whole series.

11) I would like to know if Logain will fight in the Last Battle. I hope he can head the Black Tower at the end of the book. Rand and Logain help fix the Black Tower and Taim dies because of compulsion that Demandred has done to him. I read that somewhere that an Asha'man is a Forsaken. I liked that idea. Would like to see the Black Tower work with the White Tower after the Last Battle is done.

12) I hope we can read that Rand, Mat, and Perrin before the Last Battle and after they sit down and talk about everything and how they know very little about women.

Sorry for how long this is but I have wanted to talk about this for so long that I just want people's opinion on these thoughts. I have more but I figured I will stop.

I also hope that Rand, Mat, or someone put a collar on Tuon to see that she can channel and stop denying it already.

She has already admitted that she can channel, but says since she chooses not to that makes all the difference. It is up for debate at this point as to whether a collar would hold her since being a suldam is just a hobby for her an not a full time job. It only is effective on suldam after a significant time spent working with damane.

I thought she said that she doesn't want to channel and never tried. Remember that during Mat's leaving Ebou Dar the 2 Suldam with him admitted that they can see the weaves and thought that they should be collared. Plus, I also remember the innkeeper Setalle, I think that's her name the one that helped watch Olver, tried to put bracelet on to see if she could control an adam and she got zapped. The only way an adam can be controlled through the collar is with someone who has the potential to channel. Which is why the Seanchan method of using the adam is messed up.

I thought she said that she doesn't want to channel and never tried. Remember that during Mat's leaving Ebou Dar the 2 Suldam with him admitted that they can see the weaves and thought that they should be collared. Plus, I also remember the innkeeper Setalle, I think that's her name the one that helped watch Olver, tried to put bracelet on to see if she could control an adam and she got zapped. The only way an adam can be controlled through the collar is with someone who has the potential to channel. Which is why the Seanchan method of using the adam is messed up.

Tuon said that she chooses not to channel which she believes is what sets her apart from the damane.

The suldam are those who have the ability to learn how to channel but do not have the spark. Therefore they slip through the net when the seanchan look for damane. However they are capable of using an adam. Once they use it long enough, it becomes possible for the adam to be used on them, which is how the suldam with Mat ended with him in the first place. What is uncertain is whether Tuon has used the adam long enough that it can be used on her as well.

Anyone who has the ability to channel, or the potential to channel, however small (I assume), and who is of course a woman, can use the adam.

Tuon said that she chooses not to channel which she believes is what sets her apart from the damane.

The suldam are those who have the ability to learn how to channel but do not have the spark. Therefore they slip through the net when the seanchan look for damane. However they are capable of using an adam. Once they use it long enough, it becomes possible for the adam to be used on them, which is how the suldam with Mat ended with him in the first place. What is uncertain is whether Tuon has used the adam long enough that it can be used on her as well.

Anyone who has the ability to channel, or the potential to channel, however small (I assume), and who is of course a woman, can use the adam.

Indeed. Suldam are "learners" while damane are "sparkers". The collar will only work on a "learner" after a significant amount time spent using the adam.

Q: Since sul'dam have abilities normally associated with channelers only, do they also slow?

RJ: No, not unless they actually begin to channel. Slowing is a function of actually channeling. If you have the ability to learn, and you never learn to channel, you are not going to slow. You will age at a normal fashion. Sul'dam are women who can learn, and as they develop the affinity, as they have been doing this for a little while, they begin to slide toward the ability to channel, but they never step over. I believe I have someone say that one of these women felt almost as if she should be able to channel, but not quite. They are getting closer and closer to the brink but they will never step over without conscious effort.

&

DragonCon 3 September 2005 - Emma reporting

Emma: Can the a'dam hold every sul'dam?

RJ: The a'dam can only hold sul'dam who have been sul'dam for a long time and so wearing the bracelet for a long time. Four months for example isn't enough. He said the circle helped them get to the point that's described in the book, as being on the brink of being able to channel, one foot stepped over or something [Winter's Heart Ch. 8].

Archived