DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Forum Idea - Recipe Exchange

Kivam

So which do you think is the best title?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. So which do you think is the best title?

• Indiana Jones and the City of Gods
    • Indiana Jones and the Destroyer of Worlds
    • Indiana Jones and the Fourth Corner of the Earth
    • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    • Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Gold
    • Indiana Jones and the Quest for the Covenant

Since my last suggestion turned out OK (can anyone guess or remember what that was?), I figure I have enough credibility to suggest a new one. So . . .

Would anybody have interest in a recipe exchange? Post your own recipes, or a cookbook favorite (recipes aren't copyrighted, though their precise individual descriptions are, so paraphrase!). We've got a huge variety of countries here so the swath of recipes would be pretty broad if people actually posted.

I'd even volunteer to moderate it, if necessary.

What do you guys think?

Guest Karana Majin

Why not just have a post or two going on this board all the time? I don't think there would be enough support for an entire board, but it's CERTAINLY within the realm of general. (And I love recipes, you should come to the Brown Ajah boards, we post recipes all the time! We even declared October Comfort Food Month several years ago.)

Why not just have a post or two going on this board all the time? I don't think there would be enough support for an entire board' date=' but it's CERTAINLY within the realm of general. (And I love recipes, you should come to the Brown Ajah boards, we post recipes all the time! We even declared October Comfort Food Month several years ago.)[/quote']

Because what you could do with a recipe forum is ORGANIZE - have a soups thread, a bread thread, etc. The type of thing where if you wanted to come find a recipe quickly by type you could pop on and check it out.

It's also the type of board where you don't really need continuous posting - unlike general, or debates, the point isn't so much to have ongoing threads as to have a knowledge base available for people who want it. I certainly would use it, anyway.

Guest Egwene

You just wait 'til you've tried my 'Mousse au chocolat' recipe!!! That is worth a whole board of it's own!!!!

My first thought was similar to Karana's, but my second was no, Kivam is right, a permanent board where you could look up things would be great.

My suggestion would be that you'd have sticky threads for the recipes. On those people would post recipes only. I'd also have a feedback thread soley reserved for comments directly related to the recipes that could be added to them. For example how to imrove it, what happened when you tried it, rating. Maybe once a week one of the Mods could than add that comment to the relevant recipe and delete the feedback. The rest you'd have threads like on every other board with none of those restrictions.

What do you think Kivam... is this maybe along the lines of what you were thinking of?

You just wait 'til you've tried my 'Mousse au chocolat' recipe!!! That is worth a whole board of it's own!!!!

My first thought was similar to Karana's' date=' but my second was no, Kivam is right, a permanent board where you could look up things would be great.

My suggestion would be that you'd have sticky threads for the recipes. On those people would post recipes only. I'd also have a feedback thread soley reserved for comments directly related to the recipes that could be added to them. For example how to imrove it, what happened when you tried it, rating. Maybe once a week one of the Mods could than add that comment to the relevant recipe and delete the feedback. The rest you'd have threads like on every other board with none of those restrictions.

What do you think Kivam... is this maybe along the lines of what you were thinking of?[/quote']

That's exactly what I was thinking of - though I hadn't thought about comments and that's a GREAT idea, particularly adding them to the recipe post later.

Oh, and Mousse Au Chocolate?? boggle.gifdrool.gifdrool.gifdrool.gif

Guest Egwene

:D yes, mousse au chocolat!! It's wicked!!!!!

Kathana, Jason, Fader.... whoever makes these decicions about new boards... I promise I'll put my heavily guarded secret recipe for the best chocolate mousse you've ever tasted on the new board.

Kivam, if that doesn't convince them... nothing will.

I think a whole board would be required only if the recipes thread became so active that it was useless.

Kath' date=' the problem is that a recipes thread *is* kind of useless, because there's no way to quickly find what you are looking for.

For example, say I'm looking for an idea for a new soup to make for friday night dinner. To find that on a recipes thread, I'd need to wade through recipes about a thousand other things - chicken, bread, desserts (I [b'] want [/b] that Mousse Au Chocolat recipe, darnit!) - in hopes of finding a good soup recipe. On a board dedicated to recipes, there would be a stickied "Soups" thread I could go into and see what's there.

That also would *increase* the amount of recipe related activity, because just randomly posting in a recipes thread isn't as inviting as posting in a thread where people will actually look for the information.

If you remember, back before there was a "debates and discussions" board, there would be a *very* occasional debate thread popping up on the main board (which would get overheated and locked quickly under main-board-standards). Once we created a designated place for the debate threads, though, the amount (and quality) of the threads exploded, and it's one of the more interesting boards on the site (IMHO).

A recipe board would have the same effect on recipe posts (and it sounds like we have a good number of cooks on here who would make use of it).

Is there a downside to having a board dedicated to it? Does it take up more bandwidth, or a ton of time to set up?

And - come on, pretty please??!

Guest Majsju

A Discussion Group should function just as well, as it has the same possibilities of managing threads as other boards.

eatchicken.gif

Guest Karana Majin

That makes more sense. A random board floating out in space is kind of weird (no scaffolding!) but a discussion group would rock. It would offer the same capabilities as a board, but with the option of people joining.

Plus, with a discussion group, you could totally make up a dorky name, like Wheel of Time Chefs or Innkeepers or whatever!

(Although I like Culinary Losers)

Archived