DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interesting Brandon tweet

Southpaw89

Leane, however, could be all kinds of interesting. Although if it is her she's been hiding verrrry well.

Which is part of what made me go 'hmmm' when i saw the suggestion. Leane's a little too helpful, but we dont really ever know her thoughts or motivations about anything. We presume loyalty to Siuan and Egwene and to the mission, but she's never spoken about it. Despite her helpfulness, we have no idea what's going on in her head.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alivia, maybe?

She just seemed kinda one moment she's been a damane for so long, and the next, in what seems a comparatively small amount of time relative to time spent leashed, she's broken through all of that brainwashing/conditioning and is suddenly all RRRRrraarrr...so to speak.

*shrug Guess we'll fiiinnnd out later on

Yeah that Alivia is a strange fish.

We've been beaten over the head with the scenes of damane wigging out at the very thought of being uncollared, and she's cool as a cucumber? Doesn't ring true. Strong as she is, she would've been told how valuable she was - remember Renna, was it? telling Eg her strength and especially strength in Earth made her v valuable.

My point is, Alivia would have been very aware of the damage she could do if free, and most of the damane seem to have been quite soundly brainwashed into thinking they absolutely have to be collared, for the good and safety of all. How in blazes is she so calm and contented? V odd.

I am thinking Dyelin. Her stated motives for supporting Elayne instead of going for the throne herself just never really rang true for me.

I always had the feeling that she had to have been in on the "attempt" to kill Elayne. Not in the sense that she wanted her dead, but to win her trust by helping to save her.

Has to be a DF who's never had a major PoV.

Has to be a DF who has not been around Rand post-VoG because he/she would have imploded

The second seems to eliminate Bashere, Rhuarc and probably, the Wise Ones.

BTW One thing we don't know is, does Rand's ability to sense DFs (or drive them nuts) extend to channelers.

Channelers have immunity/ differences with normals in many respects and they could perhaps, be immune to Rand's ability.

So, it's possible the WO / BA could go undetected by Rand.

Dyelin also remains in play - we've never had a Dyelin PoV, nor has she met Rand.

Leane has sworn on the Rod but did she have the brains to bypass oaths?

Maybe - she's smart in general and she's clever with the OP - her cu'endillar ability in CoT.

I like Leane, since I've been wondering for books what she was up to with "her eyes and ears". Jordan never really gave us a reason why she would have them, while Siuan's network was mentioned numerous times. Whenever Jordan creates a void of information, it always makes me think, "Hmmm..."

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean everyone isn't out to get the main characters...

~Edited for clarity

I'd love if it were something insane like... Demandred's really a good guy and turned double agent in agreement with Lews Therin or something.

Yes. This would be awesome. Sorta Snape thing going on. Maybe he is adept in Occlumency (however its spelt). I know its not serious, but i will point out that it would almost be impossible for Demandred to have hidden it from the DO though, with all the SG meetings and such inside his head.

On Topic, I am partial to the Alanna group. It is probably one of the biggest "hidden motivation" plots in the book. Specially since things have been spiced up with her disappearing and Verin's letter.

Bashere is possible, but I think he has given his reason. (obviously could be lying, but I would rather it be something more interesting, like Alanna)

Taim springs to mind, obviously. Along with Alanna he is the most "hidden motivation" guy.

Logain is kinda in the same boat as Taim, who knows what he is doing and why.

Sorelia - with her teaming up with Cadsuane and such.

Others, I am sure, but these seem the most likely to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking Dyelin. Her stated motives for supporting Elayne instead of going for the throne herself just never really rang true for me.

Definitely Dyelin. My theory is that she got a foretelling from Gitara Moroso that kept her from claiming the throne and supporting Elayne instead.

Okay, I imagine it's probably a light-sider, but it could be Cyndane or Moridin, I suppose. Well, Cyndane less so. There is some mention of Moridin playing "both sides." It would be kind of interesting if he really was. I don't think he's a good guy, but he's logical. If you play both sides, you can't lose. Any lower-level DF would be a Verin repeat.

I don't think Taim's motivations are truly hidden at this point.

Dyelin is DEFINITELY suspicious. The attack involving Mellar was just plain fishy.

Alivia is suspicious, too, but I think she really has given up the Seanchan collaring thing. Her "revenge" motivation is a little bit shabby, though. She might really have some other reason for doing as she does, and it could cause trouble even if she isn't a DF. Really, that goes for any of our light-siders. They don't really have to be a secret DF to have some hidden reason for doing as they do.

How about Fain? Wouldn't it be weird if he had something SANE going on in his head? (yeah right)

You know what? I'm not sure I ever did buy Thom's "You boys remind me of my nephew" story for helping them in the Two Rivers. Oh wait. We already have two explanations for that.

Jeeze, I'm starting to suspect everybody. *LOL*

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Cadsuane yet, to be honest.

Her reasons aren't entirely clear and she seems exactly the type to have other motivations (although I'm not thinking DF in her case).

Dylin and Alanna are both great shouts, too.

For another one, how about the King of Murandy? He's been suspiciously quiet since using the BotRH to cement his throne.

Brandon Sandersons tweet from earlier today went like this. "Back at work on #AMoL. May be the day to reveal a side-character's long-hidden motivations."

What do you guys think this means and who is he talking about do you think? I'm all in for it being Bashere

I think that Bashere is very close.

But as a previous poster implied/said,

he would have to pass the DragonLight test from Rand.

Deira maybe?

Maybe Laras the once upon a time 'lively girl'.

Laras has confused me with her actions/motivations.

Maybe she was assisting Verin in searching out DF Aes Sedai.

Verin did tell her to 'keep looking' when she said she

'hadn't found anything yet'.

Narg. We get a cameo apperance by Narg's long-agrieved litter-mate Carl. He's been working through his anger in group and ready to confront Rand over a samwitch about his feelings.

Apparently Narg was about to process out of the Shadow army and go on to get his Masters in Culinary Arts.

Narg. We get a cameo apperance by Narg's long-agrieved litter-mate Carl. He's been working through his anger in group and ready to confront Rand over a samwitch about his feelings.

Apparently Narg was about to process out of the Shadow army and go on to get his Masters in Culinary Arts.

Actually, Carl was the most upset with Rand's unwillingness to talk with Narg, after all the time Narg put into learning the common tongue to be more reasonable. Narg seemed to be Carl's hero, trying to get beyond the whole "mindless mob of Trollocs" thing, only to be cut down horribly in the first act by the blood-thirsty hero...

I think that Bashere is very close.

But as a previous poster implied/said,

he would have to pass the DragonLight test from Rand.

Bashere was with Rand at Maradon when Rand saved the city and the steward threw himself from the tower. I think its safe to say Bashere has passed the darkfriend test.

Edit: My money is on Setelle Anon. Her reasons for staying around Mat have always been suspect to me.

Just to refresh the point, my money is still on Leane. In the middle books, when she was splitting off from the others when they went to the Tower in TAR, it gave me the creeps. Who would she be leaving messages for? What connections could she be using that would know signs from TAR were messages FROM her? None of these questions were ever answered, or even mentioned again, for that matter. Further, what exactly were her plans? Why didn't she share them with anyone?

After that, they were just...forgotten. I do not believe Jordan went through all that trouble to put that into his book just to give her "something to do".

Just to refresh the point, my money is still on Leane. In the middle books, when she was splitting off from the others when they went to the Tower in TAR, it gave me the creeps. Who would she be leaving messages for? What connections could she be using that would know signs from TAR were messages FROM her? None of these questions were ever answered, or even mentioned again, for that matter. Further, what exactly were her plans? Why didn't she share them with anyone?

After that, they were just...forgotten. I do not believe Jordan went through all that trouble to put that into his book just to give her "something to do".

For me, it's just that she's been so consistantly helpful for a character whose motivations are never particularily clear [beyond 'oh, I'm loyal to this character']--first to Siuan, and then to Egwene.

But they stilled her. That's a bit extreme for one to be undercover. I just don't see her being an operative of the Shadow.

My prime suspect is Alanna. Hope it's not Dyelin because the time in the plot for political maneuvering in Caemlyn should have passed by now. The Great Game has made us suspicious of everyone. Besides, the city is on fire last we saw.

Alanna has been a figure shrouded in mystery since the beginning. Her motives are entirely unknown. Anything any of us say is pure speculation. I REALLY have high hopes for her.

Alliandre is another enigma. She is very clever. Since our first sight of her in Fires of Heaven she proves herself a survivor. The one PoV we get from her in ToM shows a glimpse of her personality and personally I found it amusing that a queen would sink to stealing. However the argument against her is that she's not in any position to do anything of substance.

But they stilled her. That's a bit extreme for one to be undercover. I just don't see her being an operative of the Shadow.

Who said anything about Leane being an operative of the shadow? The fact is, she is playing her own game outside of the what the main characters are doing. What is it? Will she add something important to one of the light side's goals? Is it something complete out of left field?

Being Black Aei Sedai is only one idea, and even if she were, I doubt the black sisters could have prevented her stilling in the mess that she got caught up in.

Archived