DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

MMA discussion/ betting discussion

balefired-ed2

I am a huge MMA fan and wanted to see if there are any other like minded people on this forum. The great grappling, less technically sound but more wild striking, and different style match-ups are extremely interesting to me.

In addition to this, I think it could be a great thread for discussing the dangers/fun of betting on professional sports, such as this

001ieo.jpg

wildly foolish wager.

Also, if anyone has any questions about this sport, feel free to speak up! If there are any detractors, please be respectful in posting.

I have never been much of a gambler, but betting on an MMA fight seems a bit crazy to me. There are so many variables in it, that making a sound bet is tough. I definitely could never work up the nerve to drop 7,000 on a fight, but I can barely spend a dollar on the lottery.

As for my MMA I lean to the technical side of it. I enjoy watching a good grappling match, more then a strikers match. There is definitely more excitement and a bit of the old ultra violence to be found in a strikers match but for me I would rather watch two technically proficient grapplers move for position for half an hour then 10 minutes of an absolute blood bath.

MMA is a great sport to watch. It is exciting and a match can turn around in a second. The last thing is why I personally would NEVER bet on any MMA match. To many out of the blue KO's or submissions from one mistake capitalized on by the opponent.

I don't bet much on sports in general. I do play the weekly pick'em games on ESPN.com just for fun and usually do pretty good. I just know the moment money became involved a bunch of random things would happen and I would be up da creek.

• 4 weeks later...

How about Brock getting destroyed by the 'Reem? I loved it along w/Fitch getting knocked out, and Diaz beating Cowboy!!

FYI..Showtime has a free preview this weekend, and Strikeforce has fights on Saturday 1/7/12. Check em' out!!

Meh, Brock was a mediocre fighter even when fully fit, so not surprising about how it ended. Only thing that was surprising was that brock did not even try to take it to the floor, as he must have known he had no chance in standing.

As a Swede, I was mostly interested in Alexander Gustavsson. And that KO was quite impressive, Matyushenko is not exactly a pushover, even if he is starting to see the end of his career.

I was glad that Overreem finally got the attention he deserved in the UFC, but I agree w/your opinion about Brock. Freaky athleticism will only get you so far in the sport, and he never had the well rounded skill set he needed to persevere in MMA. I think his illness really took it's toll on him

The Gustavsson KO was nice, and I've been a 'janitor' fan for a while (way back in Pride). Sad to see him on the decline.

Who do you have for UFC 142? I'm taking Aldo, Johnson, but probably won't put any money on it as I'm so broke I can't even pay attention...

yea brock never really had a chance but i like to wonder how he would have change the sport if he had developed some boxing skills-good skills.

Right now im really interested in the phil davis and rashad fight coming up and my man rampages fight in feb. Johny bones jones is also a freak and i dont know of anyone who could beat him besides maybe phil davis.

Anderson silva might be able to but he needs to fight gsp first!

I'd love to see Davis pound Rashad into that 'Derp' face again...kinda like this when he fought the Dragon Machidarashadface.jpg

I do like Hendo's chances with his patented H-bomb against Jones, but that's cuz I'm a huge Hendo mark, what can I say?

How much do the K-brothers weigh? I have to laugh when I hear of fighters (Brock, Shane Carwin, Roy Nelson, etc...) cut weight to make the 265 limit. And the taller heavyweights can cause people problems, kind of like Stefan Struve who is 6'11, lanky but dangerous

Against haye in july, Wladimir Klitschko weighed in at 242. Vitali is somewhat bigger, but not 20 pound bigger(I think, I don't really know how much a pound isbiggrin.gif)

Still, Wladimir is 35, and he is the younger brother. So even if they had been interested, it is too late.

struve if you ask me is burned out. He just keeps getting beaten and i do believe knocked out a few times. Big country is barely any better. He cant handle any one who has good hands and once his bombs are out of the question his physical condition works against him.

Jones will beat henderson and probably in the first couple rounds. Better wrestler and his reach will be a huge advantage, like it has against every one hes fought

I think Hendo has a chance tho, iron chin and based on Jones' last fight w/Machida, Bones was buckled for the 1st time in his career.

If Hendo lands his big right hand (H-bomb), I think Jones would go down & out. Plus I don't know if Jones is a better wrestler than Hendo, (Hendo won the D1 Greco Roman vs Jones @ a community college) but he is younger (41 vs. 24). Just my humble opinion.

His chin i will agree with you. I really wish that rampage would have gotten close enough to rock him a few times. He has never really been hit yet. As for the wrestling get me a date when it happened. Cause Jones has won alot of stuff and his wrestling has only gotten better. So unless this just happened i wouldnt put much stock in it. Just look at bader. He was spose to be the best wrestler and got out wrestled and choked out.

Hendo wrestled in the D1 Championships in 1993, and in the Olympics in 92 and 96, but I admit it'll be a close fight if it ever happens, I do give Jones his props as he is one hell of a fighter.

Are you going to the UFC in Sweden Maj?? Gustafsson is fighting Lil' Nog, which should be a good fight.

UFC Sweden

That's a shame, I've never been to a UFC event myself and would love to go. Small local shows sure, but never the big time. It'll be on my bucket list.

Lil' Nog is a tough test for Gustafsson though, if he wins he'll be in serious title contention IMHO.

Well, hopefully it will be a success, so UFC returns to Sweden. In the meantime, I just keep watching wresling in Malmö. it may not be WWE, but it is a lot of fun (definitly more beer than WWE...)biggrin.gif

As for Gustafsson, it will indeed be a tough test for him. Which shows just how much faith UFC has in him. From what I have seen, they try to avoid squash matches, so they must really believe he has what it takes.

Archived