DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How powerful do you need to be able to use the travelling stones

XXX

At the Riverbed, Grady sensed intermittent "weak" chnnelling.

Remember that men cannot sense each other's strength potential; All he can feel is how much saidin is being used.

Now, the intermittence is explained itself by Grady - the channeler is bringing trollocs in by stone, and jumping out again, alone.

Grady can't sense the channeler saidin use at the other portal stone (wherever it is).

The low power usage he senses occurs only when the channeler is transporting himself ALONE back to the other stone.

Quite possibly it doesn't take much power for one perseon to transport self.

We do know Rand had to use a lot of power when he carried himself, Loail and Lanfear and he almost over-matched carrying the party to Rhuidean even with his fat-man angreal.

Rand never tried just transporting himself so we don't even have a basis for comparing the make/break circuit Grady senses to any other portal use.

It may be logical to assume that, apparently, one channeler can transport himself without huge power usage if he knows how.

The whole question of how powerful you need to be to transport others through a portal stone remains totally open.

Maybe there's a tricky weave to using portals, which can actually be used with quite low power to transport multiple people, if you know how.

Maybe it takes exponentially more power to transport several bodies than to transport just one and only a Forsaken class channeler can do that.

wouldn't he still be holding the same amount of power when he arrives as he was when he left?

wouldn't he still be holding the same amount of power when he arrives as he was when he left?

I'd more think they require the use of the power to activate, but once you 'finish the spell' for lack of a better term, the portal stone does it's thing and transports you to the other side. It doesn't make sense to me that you'd still be channeling into a portal stone on the other side of the world/in the mirror world you came from when you appeared at your destination. Rand doing it essentially in his sleep the first time he used one somewhat supports this.

Getting back to the main concept of the thread, I agree with the previous sentiment that enough women channeling should allow for enough of the OP to exceed Rand's when he used them. But portal stones are very different and I'm not sure even fall under the heading of ter'angreal. It may be that they can't be used by a person being supported by a circle?

Continuing with the idea of the previous post, it may be a safety feature of the Stones that they won't work in a linked group. Imagine what would happen if the leader of a circle activated a Portal Stone when all the other members of the circle are on the other side of a hill or something. S/he could end up in a mirror world still linked to a group of people in the real world. We can't imagine what sort of effects, if any at all, that might have on the channelers involved.

I'd more think they require the use of the power to activate, but once you 'finish the spell' for lack of a better term, the portal stone does it's thing and transports you to the other side. It doesn't make sense to me that you'd still be channeling into a portal stone on the other side of the world/in the mirror world you came from when you appeared at your destination. Rand doing it essentially in his sleep the first time he used one somewhat supports this.

Getting back to the main concept of the thread, I agree with the previous sentiment that enough women channeling should allow for enough of the OP to exceed Rand's when he used them. But portal stones are very different and I'm not sure even fall under the heading of ter'angreal. It may be that they can't be used by a person being supported by a circle?

if the transport is instant, like the third one rand did, you would still be holding the amount of power that you were holding when you set the weave. or at least that is what makes sense to me. you might release quickly but it would still be detectable. unless when the stone does its thing it cuts your connection to the source in transit.

Continuing with the idea of the previous post, it may be a safety feature of the Stones that they won't work in a linked group. Imagine what would happen if the leader of a circle activated a Portal Stone when all the other members of the circle are on the other side of a hill or something. S/he could end up in a mirror world still linked to a group of people in the real world. We can't imagine what sort of effects, if any at all, that might have on the channelers involved.

lol read through your post, i think my post right above this hits on something that involves this idea.

Archived