DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What is a shift?

Lukey

:cry: ..... no lingerie in WoT!???!?!?!?!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I thought at least Lanfear or Berelain would have something super sexehhhh...not like some flimsy underdress...ew. Mainnnn i bet semirhage has some sexeh corsets! :D

Clothes for the most part seems to be based on European Dark Age/Middle Age clothing.

yes - a shift is a kind of dress under a dress - its cool and still not see through if you are wearing two thin materials on top of each other (still done with traditional dress it in many parts of Central Asia) also you change and wash the shift regularly but because it covers your whole body - you don't need to wash the dress so often (if you don't drop your food all over you) Very handy if you don't have a washing machine and tumble-dryer and your dress is made out of several meters of silk or wool :-)

ummmm the problem is....if they don't wear anything where they would wear panties (to cover the...area), that shift wouldn't really cover it from underneath yeah? A dress also does not cover that area (from underneath)....

This is a sensitive subject and i'm not trying to offend, only that i find it messed up if they don't actually properly cover their....you know.

Is it like commando/direct access? ermmmmm pls enlighten me, i feel like a total idiot right now

k cool that clears thing up a bit haha. I was actually quite disturbed when i saw that pic of a shift....never actually remembered that they wear stockings and briefs underneath lol. I think its just too much underwear frankly speaking. Nowadays, we make do with a thong! Not saying i personally wear one....although i do have a red CK manthong....

ROFL!!!!!! Bum flap!??!? that is soooooo messed! So like....when they take a dump, they don't take off their underwear, just lift up the bum flap!!?? hahahhahahasdf;lksdjfsdf. Man....i can imagine Vanin doing that...like a sack of suet on the toilet, bum flap hahahahha!

I said a sort of briefs. Specifically white pants that go to bellow the knee and are made out of the same material as shifts' date=' usually with a bum flap. In colder places they used long-johns.[/quote']

The loose pants are called pantalettes and didn't come into use until the 19th century. So if we are to stick to the whole medival thing I think we can crap that idea.

The loose pants are called pantalettes

I wasn't talking about pantalettes, which ill confess ive never heard of.

Incidently though, much of Randland fashion has a vaguely victorian feel to it.

Smallclothes are litterally what i said... white garments of a light material worn under clothes... for the same reason as a shift actually... to be washed instead of washing clothes.

Yeah; I've always sort of imagined the clothing as Victorian era in style.

As to the shift question I've sort of thought of it as a nightgown- that's probably ore to do with them always wearing it to bed so maybe a full-body petticoat!?

Archived