DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat Making Himself

MatBloodyCauthon

When I read these sacred books of mine I always have music playing. The reason I do this is because every now and then I hear a song that to me has significant meaning with a scene that I am reading in the books. I just finished my second re-read of Towers of Midnight and there was a point that I got to where I thought the song matched really well with the scene I was reading. Normally songs will attach themselves to the story based on how I feel while reading or as I stated above they just fit really well with what is going on in the story. I got the the chapter "Into The Void" and since it was a re-read I already knew what was going to happen. As soon as I started the chapter my Ipod and myself must of had a moment of clarity with these books. The song that came up on my playlist was "Make Yourself - Incubus". Of course you only have to read the title of the song to get what the song is going to be about. Well at the beginning of ItV Mat is gambelling in Ceamlyn when he decides he will not run anymore that he will walk around proudly for who he is. He made himself you could say lol. There is a part of the song towards the end of it that has some volitile language and when that part came up was when I got to where Mat was standing one on one with the Gholem.

These are the lyrics to the song...

If I hadn't made me, I would've been made somehow..

If I hadn't assembled myself, Id've fallen apart by now.

If I hadn't made me, I'd be more inclined to bow.

Powers that be, Would have swallowed me up

But that's more than I can allow.

But...

If you let them make you, they'll make you Paper-Mache

At a distance you're strong, until the wind comes

Then you'll crumble and blow away.

If you let 'em f*** you there will be no foreplay.

Rest assured, They'll screw you complete, Until your ass is blue and grey!

You should make amends with you,

If only for better health.

But if you really want to live,

Why not try, and Make yourself?

Make yourself (Make yourself)

If I hadn't made me, I'd have fallen apart by now.

I won't let them make me..It's more than I can allow.

So when I make me, I won't be paper-Mache..

And if I f*** me...I'll fuck me in my own way.

F*** me in my own way

F*** me in my own way

F*** me in my own way

F*** me in my own way...

If only for better health (Better health)

Make yourself

Make yourself

Make yourself

Make yourself!

When Mat is gearing up for the charge from the gholem was when the F*** me in my own way part started and it fit so perfectly to the scene to me that it will forever be stuck in my head every time I read this chapter. If they ever make a movie about these books if the Director doesn't put that song in on that scene I will find him and pay him a visit after he finished the final movie of course.

But thats all I just wanted to say that.

anybody else have songs that stick to scenes in these books. I know there have been multiple threads on it but one more can't hurt.

:)

When I read these sacred books of mine I always have music playing. The reason I do this is because every now and then I hear a song that to me has significant meaning with a scene that I am reading in the books. I just finished my second re-read of Towers of Midnight and there was a point that I got to where I thought the song matched really well with the scene I was reading. Normally songs will attach themselves to the story based on how I feel while reading or as I stated above they just fit really well with what is going on in the story. I got the the chapter "Into The Void" and since it was a re-read I already knew what was going to happen. As soon as I started the chapter my Ipod and myself must of had a moment of clarity with these books. The song that came up on my playlist was "Make Yourself - Incubus". Of course you only have to read the title of the song to get what the song is going to be about. Well at the beginning of ItV Mat is gambelling in Ceamlyn when he decides he will not run anymore that he will walk around proudly for who he is. He made himself you could say lol. There is a part of the song towards the end of it that has some volitile language and when that part came up was when I got to where Mat was standing one on one with the Gholem.

These are the lyrics to the song...

If I hadn't made me, I would've been made somehow..

If I hadn't assembled myself, Id've fallen apart by now.

If I hadn't made me, I'd be more inclined to bow.

Powers that be, Would have swallowed me up

But that's more than I can allow.

But...

If you let them make you, they'll make you Paper-Mache

At a distance you're strong, until the wind comes

Then you'll crumble and blow away.

If you let 'em f*** you there will be no foreplay.

Rest assured, They'll screw you complete, Until your ass is blue and grey!

If only for better health.

Make yourself (Make yourself)

If I hadn't made me, I'd have fallen apart by now.

I won't let them make me..It's more than I can allow.

So when I make me, I won't be paper-Mache..

And if I f*** me...I'll fuck me in my own way.

F*** me in my own way

F*** me in my own way

F*** me in my own way

F*** me in my own way...

If only for better health (Better health)

Make yourself

Make yourself

Make yourself

Make yourself!

When Mat is gearing up for the charge from the gholem was when the F*** me in my own way part started and it fit so perfectly to the scene to me that it will forever be stuck in my head every time I read this chapter. If they ever make a movie about these books if the Director doesn't put that song in on that scene I will find him and pay him a visit after he finished the final movie of course.

But thats all I just wanted to say that.

anybody else have songs that stick to scenes in these books. I know there have been multiple threads on it but one more can't hurt.

:)

Not for other people's works but for my own work I do. My prologue setting and everything within fits with Eternal by Evanescence, the first meeting of the prince in the priestess Haru Yo Koi (not sure of the original artist) the translated meaning fits perfectly, and the Waltz I came up with after hearing Only the Fairytale from Mai Hime.

Very cool MatBloodyCauthon.(good music choice, by the way) I love it when stuff like that happens. I don't have any specific songs but I would often listen to Heartland: An Appalachian Anthology. That and bluegrass. They seem to fit very well in the earlier books when people are camped in the woods, and when ever someone is hanging out in a tavern. (so, pretty frequently)

I don't know why but I always imagined Mat spontaneously singing and dancing "Twist and Shout" right in the middle of Caemlyn. If anybody is the equivalent of Ferris Bueller in WOT it would be Mat Cauthon. He could even have an arranged script and choreography, maybe have Birgitte and Talmanes accompanying him (best platonic friend vs. quiet, reserved guy). The commoners could provide background vocals as well as chorus line type moves. Of course, the song would end right before a very furious and pregnant Elayne stomped out of the palace to see... nothing but the normal urban activity of the city.

I don't know why but I always imagined Mat spontaneously singing and dancing "Twist and Shout" right in the middle of Caemlyn. If anybody is the equivalent of Ferris Bueller in WOT it would be Mat Cauthon. He could even have an arranged script and choreography, maybe have Birgitte and Talmanes accompanying him (best platonic friend vs. quiet, reserved guy). The commoners could provide background vocals as well as chorus line type moves. Of course, the song would end right before a very furious and pregnant Elayne stomped out of the palace to see... nothing but the normal urban activity of the city.

That is hilarious

I have written earlier in another topic, but it doesn't matter.

I like listening music while I'm reading. (Mostly heavy metal and I'm glad I'm not the only one)

I usually start all my re-reads with "Where Hope and Daylight Dies" of SUMMONING. When I listen to this song I have visions of the Age of Legends and of the Breaking.

But, after I have read ToM, I think that the lyrics of the song and the female vocals remind me of Mierin in Rand's dream.

Still here I wake and I think of you

I see you, I see you far away

Answer my call, can you hear my voice?

I hear you...

For we are gone and forever lost

Broken I lie, broken here I lie

Beneath, the shadows sink where daylight dies

I wake for you...

But here I stand and think of

The days the grass was green and my heart was so young

They've never been past -

Forever lost...

In better lands the sun may shine

And green leaves on trees spring

Opening in its blossoming

And hear the raven sing...

For we are gone and forever lost

Broken I lie, broken here I lie

Beneath, the shadows sink where daylight dies

I wake for you...

Guest Blind-Guardian

First post for me! Been lurking for a while and now I find a topic I can really lay into.

The songs above may hold strong for some, but I gotta preach the greatness that is my namesake. Folks, you really gotta check out some BLIND GUARDIAN. The album they released last year is tremendous. "At the Edge of Time". Every song on this album is written after a fantasy series. Two songs are written from the Wheel of Time series.

Ride Into Obsession

and

Wheel of Time

Every song on this CD could be played while reading any of the WoT books. Epic Battle Metal at its finest.

Check 'em out!

First post for me! Been lurking for a while and now I find a topic I can really lay into.

The songs above may hold strong for some, but I gotta preach the greatness that is my namesake. Folks, you really gotta check out some BLIND GUARDIAN. The album they released last year is tremendous. "At the Edge of Time". Every song on this album is written after a fantasy series. Two songs are written from the Wheel of Time series.

Ride Into Obsession

and

Wheel of Time

Every song on this CD could be played while reading any of the WoT books. Epic Battle Metal at its finest.

Check 'em out!

Now we speak the same language :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thumbs up for Blind Guardian.

Yet, if it has to be Epic Battle Metal (as you call it)I still prefer Rhapsody (of Fire)(especially the album "Symphony of Enchanted Lands"). Every time I read a WoT chapter where Callandor is mentioned I can't stop singing in my head "The Emerald Sword":

For the king, for the land, for the mountains,

For the green valleys where dragons fly,

For the glory, the power to win the Black Lord

I will search for the Emerald Sword

OK, Callandor is crystal, not emerald... I don't care :)

In this thread, people at least talk about real music. Do you know I even built up a theory about Callandor, based on what happens with the Emerald Sword (sort of)? I think it's long lost already.

And you know, of all songs I know, Wheel of Time is my third favorite, and it has been my first favorite. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it isn't longer.

I don't know any songs where the lyrics fit Mat that well ...

"One Prairie Outpost" by Carbon Leaf could practically have been written by Rand.

"When I Go" by Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer is a really good warrior's song that's inspired by Native American beliefs/culture and makes me think of Perrin.

Drumming Song by Florence + the Machine is awesome to listen to while reading fight scenes and just highly recommended in general. Also highly recommended for sheer badassery is "War" from the Avatar soundtrack.

Archived