DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Mariage/Mariages

mb

34 members have voted

1. 1. if they take same surname when they marry, whose would be best?

• Rand's
    • Min's
    • Elayne's
    • Aviendha's
    • undecided
  2. 2. whose surname should Elayne been born with?

3. 3. How should the 4 become married?

• Aiel way
    • Two Rivers way
    • Seanchan way
    • Atha'an Miere way
    • other (please specify)
    • undecided

Rands last name has ties them all to him rather than another group (say an Aiel clan or Andoran house). Elaynes family name ties her to Andor, her heritage and her house rather than a Cairehein house of disrepute and a marriage of convenience and politics. Two members of this union are of Aiel heritage, there has also been a fair bit of foreshadowing for this method. Ultimately though it probably doesn't make much difference to the four.

undecided on all. if they all live to marry, rand's lucked out enough. the marriages would be the women's deal, and i think they'd have to do them according to whomever's customs they felt most... comfortable with. maybe all of them. maybe different for each.

names the same, they's take or keep whatever names suited.

they'd be just as married no matter what the details.

still think they should just shack up and make everyone's lives easier.

I don't know who's name should be taken, I imagine Min would want to take Rand's name, Avi is a bit independent but still might want his name, but Elayne would probably stick with Trakand, it is what Andor is currently familiar with. Elayne was the Daughter Heir of Andor, and of course should have honored that bit of her heritage. Most likely to marry Aiel way, since I'm pretty sure the Aiel are the only ones chill with multiple spouses.

I'm not aware of any custom of any culture in the book to take any name but the husband's. Excepting of course Saldaea where the husband gets a name stating who his wife is, and the wife gets a name stating who her husband is.

Elayne was given her mother's House name, Trakand. In the books she is never referred to as Elayne Damodred. Since rule in Andor is passed from mother to daughter, the daughter-heir would obviously receive the mother's name as a sign of her lineage and right to the throne.

IF they marry, they will most likely either go by the Aiel tradition, or do something that mixes a little of everything to make everyone happy. Aiel, since they are the only culture with a protocol for polygamous marriage, and mixing it so that everyone gets something familiar to make them happy.

Rands last name has ties them all to him rather than another group (say an Aiel clan or Andoran house). Elaynes family name ties her to Andor, her heritage and her house rather than a Cairehein house of disrepute and a marriage of convenience and politics. Two members of this union are of Aiel heritage, there has also been a fair bit of foreshadowing for this method. Ultimately though it probably doesn't make much difference to the four.

^^this

Aviendha shouldn't be in the first poll, the Aiel don't have surnames.

Trakand is Elayne's House, Taringail Damondred married into it. And the Royal dynasty in Andor has to keep their names, it doesn't make sense for the Queens to take their husband's last name, or the Daughter-Heirs to get their father's.

Anyway, the way I see, most probably all of them will keep their last names.

Aviendha shouldn't be in the first poll, the Aiel don't have surnames.

Trakand is Elayne's House, Taringail Damondred married into it. And the Royal dynasty in Andor has to keep their names, it doesn't make sense for the Queens to take their husband's last name, or the Daughter-Heirs to get their father's.

Anyway, the way I see, most probably all of them will keep their last names.

Same here. The only one who might take Rand's name is Min, but personally I prefer Min Farshaw. Of course, who knows if they'll even get to marry anyway.

Morgase didn't change her name when she married so I don't see why Elayne would considering the politics of Andor. Makes me wonder about Elenia and Jarid Sarand though. Did he take her house name or does she have another? Can't remember.

Besides the Aiel not having surnames, we don't know their customs when it comes to marriage. Does a husband or wife take their partner's sept name? Intermarriage between clans is not unheard of but I can't remember anything mentioned when Melaine marries Dorindha and ???(name escapes me).

I assume that Min not being of a noble house she would take Al'Thor as seems to be custom in the Two Rivers and probably Andor.

As to how they should or will marry if that happens, I think a nod at Aiel and Andoran customs seems probable. I wonder if Aiel marriage is anything like adopting a First Sister. Is a bond created do you think?

Rands name because he is the common link between the other three.

Elaynes fathers name, just cause thats the way I think it should be passed on.

I picked other, I figure Rand should marry Elayne and Avi in the Aiel fashion because Avi and Elayne became sisters through the Aiel way, And I think they should have a seperate ceremony for Min and Rand, not putting any more importance into it just saying it would be nice for Rand and Min to get married according to their customs even though Elayne has picked up some Aiel customs.

the 4 should be married in another way, specifically, Elayne should die, and the 3 will be married.
Elayne's death would need to be after the birth of her children. The birth I take will be after Tarmon Gaidon; the wedding I guess would be before Tarmon Gaidon.

Archived