DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moment that made you LOL

maryemi'jigede

A lot of authors in FF attempt humour and just end up being lame. But RJ often made me literally LOL.

The one that had me snorting and sniggering in the lamplight til my husband woke up and told me shush:

LOC, Chapter 39, Possibilities. "Nynaeve had seen saidar fail around him, but she had dealt with recalcitrant men long before she learned to channel. With a muttered growl of "Warm my bottom?" that Egwene did not think was intended to be heard, Nynaeve deftly hiked up her skirts and kicked Mat squarely in his, so hard that he staggered all the way to the wall before catching himself with a hand...Mat turned his head slowly to stare at Nynaeve, all wide-eyed indignation and outrage. Then his brows lowered...he began to stalk slowly towards her. Slowly because he was limping."

LOL, it was so hilarious because 1) an Aes Sedai does not literally kick butt, 2) Nynaeve thought she was dealing with a boy (and does for a few more books, yet) and 3) mat is seriously a MAN now in his own right, and then some, and kicking him in the butt was a bit like kicking Gareth Bryne in the nuts. It was just SO not a smart thing to do. But like Egwene and Elayne, and probably a lot of other readers, that is exactly what made it so hilarious.

So....any bits that made you Laugh Out Loud?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's so many hilarious examples of Nynaeve being oblivious about her own behavior that I can't even count them. That's part of why I love her, she's human and her flaws, while very visible, are much less problematic than the flaws of several other major characters.

This is one of my favorite parts, poor Min :laugh: :

Suddenly Siuan looked amused; Min felt her hackles rising.

“I fear that won’t be enough. Min in a dress is still Min in a dress to anyone who looks dose. You cannot always wear a cloak with the hood up. No, you must change everything that can be changed. For one thing, you will continue to go by Elmindreda. It is your name, after all.” Min winced. “Your hair is almost as long as Leane’s, long enough to put in curls. For the rest. . . . I never had any use for rouge and powder and paints, but Leane remembers the use of them.”

Min’s eyes had grown wider by the word since the mention of curls.

“Oh, no,” she gasped.

”No one will take you for Min who wears breeches once Leane makes you into a perfect Elmindreda.”

“Oh, NO!”

I think RJ hit his best humor in scenes with Mat, but Nyneave is a close second. Maybe I just relate to Mat better. There are several scenes in CoT - notably the day he finally gives the circus the word to move, he confronts Tuon onscreen in her wagon, after she found out he's spread the tale that she is a servant. Immediately following that, he is 'summoned' by Joline, which is nearly as funny.

I'm on CoT on my re-read. I just read that chapter today after seeing this thread earlier today. I know there are others that I laughed even harder at, but can't recall them right now. Each one posted above had me chuckling as well.

My favourite comedy moments were always whenever Moiraine indulged her childish streak--like when she fished with Perrin in tDR, or pinches Rand in tFoH.

I also love Cadsuane with Harine--'if she says a word, spank her. But be diplomatic about it'.

There's so many hilarious examples of Nynaeve being oblivious about her own behavior that I can't even count them. That's part of why I love her, she's human and her flaws, while very visible, are much less problematic than the flaws of several other major characters.

Nyn during her time in Valan Luca's show and while in Ebou Dar is a laugh riot:

Nyn's reluctant participation in Thom's knife throwing gig

Nyn half expecting Birgitte to have an "accident" while shooting arrows during their act

Meeting Masema and her subsequent conversation with Uno & Ragan

Nyn being totally clueless why no guests came when she cooked dinner

Her reaction to Luca after she finally figured out his "proposal"

Her most reluctant apology to Mat and efforts not to call him the names he "deserved"

Her first marital spat with Lan when she screams at him "that she's not upset", Added bonus; Mat tries to play impromptu marriage counselor and

is ignored by all

I like Nyn in the earlier books, she get's an idea in her head and it's like "full steam ahead" with her over-riding any qualms from others in her group.

I can't say I had an LOL moment, closest might have been Mat's obliviousness about giving a noble woman a trinket that could be bought in any village. That was a deep level humor, the scene when Tuon Named Lylewinn Shipless, and mat was competely nonplussed. That is the closest to out loud funny.

The moment I enjoyed most as far as MY kind of humor was Egwene in the tower, being told to stop, while also being told how weak she was and saying something like, "What? You can't?"

Rand to Cadsuane "...You can call me Rand Sedai."

Talmanes to Mat during his ramblings about how it is to argue with a woman "I had presumed that it wouldn't be Mat"

Those are just 2 of the better ones I can think of right now, but i generally like ppl showing some1 that they are smarter in a way that is just a little bit insulting, so that the person who just got owned might not realise the mockery. It's just my kind of humor, whilst the WoT books have all sorts of humor in them.

It was definitely Mat and Birgitte together in Ebou Dar which made me Lol the hardest. Also, I always lol while reading Uno's statements, he is hilarious and I want MORE of him. I liked Elmindreda's conversation with Galad and Gawyn too (at least Gawyn was still likeable then...).

There are quite a few of those for me. Valan Luca's marriage offer to Nynaeve for example.

Min pretending to be an empty-headed beauty in front of Galad and Gawyn was hilarious too.

"Min smiled at Gawyn, and even managed a titter. “So many words. I fear I know little of books, my Lord Gawyn. I always mean to read one—I do.” She sighed. “But there is so little time. Why, just fixing my hair properly takes hours. "

Mat's letter to Elayne in Towers of Midnight was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

I literally had to put the book down until I could stop laughing... then I read that part again.

It wasn't just that it was funny, it's the fact that Brandon wrote it out like Mat would have. Made it 10000000000 times better.

Your Royal Bloody Pain in My Back,

We're bloody waiting here to talk to you, and we're getting angry perturbed. (That means angry.) Thom says that you're a queen now, but I figure that changes nothing, sense you acted like a queen all the time anyway. Don't forget that I carried hailed your pretty little backside out of a hole in Tear, but you acted like a queen then, so I guess I don't know why I'm suprised now that you act like one when you really are a queen.

So I'm thinking I should treat you like a bloody Queen and send you a bloody letter and all, speaking with high talk and getting your attention. I even used my ring as a signet, like it was paper proper. So here is my formal salutation. So BLOODY STOP TURNING ME AWAY so we can talk. I need your bellfounders. It's bloody important.

—Mat

p.s. Salutation means greeting.

p.p.s. Don't mind the scratched out words and bad spellings. I was going to rewrite this letter, but Thom is laffing so hard at me that I want to be done.

p.p.s. Don't mind me calling your backside pretty. I hardly ever spent any time looking at it, as I've an awareness that you'd pull my eyes out if you saw me. Besides, I'm married now, so that all doesn't matter.

Mat is just pure comedy gold. I preferred RJ's Mat voice but Brandon didn't do a too bad job, it was different, but still funny. I thought the letter was funny as well but I think the spelling mistakes were a little too far. It portrayed Mat as simply being a little too much of a country bumpkin.

Explaining what words were was hilarious though.

Archived