DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Sign in to follow this  
Tisserand

Obsidian creating new engine for WoT

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums, but I saw this on Obsidian Entertainment's website and figured I'd post it here for speculation discussion. Here's the quote from the "jobs" section of their site (http://www.obsidianent.com/jobs.html):

"(We are) applying our story and character development skills to a new, exciting unannounced project. We have been developing our own next generation game engine perfectly suited to evolve the RPG genre and have fostered a dedicated Tools team to bolster our talented designers and artists."

My guess would be that this "new" and "exciting unannounced project" is the WoT game. Based on what their development timeline must be after the release of Dungeon Seige 3, Fallout: New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, their next big announcement is the Wheel of Time game (or series of games) in all likelihood. If they are creating another RPG engine, I would also expect that it is being built for this game.

Obsidian usually announces their games in the spring, either in the lead up to or at E3. Their last major event was the release of Dungeon Seige 3, and it seems that the majority of their activity since then has been related to DLC for that and Fallout: New Vegas. Despite this drought of major announcements, their still looking to hire additional developers which implies that they are not simply resting on their laurels. They also managed to pull in Tim Cain, who is recognized as a very talented design director.

Obsidian should be announcing the Wot game here in the near future, and it would seem that they are investing a large amount of resources into it. Here's to hoping we won't have to wait to much longer to play it (Obsidian usually announces their games about 2 years out from release).

Edited by Tisserand

I believe Obsidian have already said that the WHEEL OF TIME game will use the DUNGEON SIEGE III engine. They could have changed their minds, but it's more likely that this new engine is for their propriety, original-story fantasy game they are in the early stages of developing.

Obsidian already announced the WHEEL OF TIME game almost two years ago, so they are certainly working on it. We had word from an insider that they were using the DS3 engine for WoT, but it's possible that there was confusion with the SOUTH PARK title. It's also possible that Obsidian have been so happy with building a brand new engine that isn't bugged to hell and back that they're putting all of their new games on the project.

I would like to see Obsidian talking more about the WoT game than they have done so far. Two years into development, there should be something to show for it and they can start building excitement by using the hype for the end of the books next year. Hopefully there aren't problems stemming from Red Eagle's involvement in the project.

Edited by Werthead

Well, it depends on how long they plan to develop it. I mean, Skyrim was in development for what, 5 years? It was only this year and (maybe) last year we got any proper details on it. We just have to wait and see. Obsidian may plan to work on this game for a while, to ensure that it is good.

Well, it depends on how long they plan to develop it. I mean, Skyrim was in development for what, 5 years? It was only this year and (maybe) last year we got any proper details on it. We just have to wait and see. Obsidian may plan to work on this game for a while, to ensure that it is good.

I really hope they do, a Wheel of Time game is worth waiting three more years for. Or longer if necessary, so long as its GOOD in capital letters.

AFAWK, the WoT game is a structured RPG more like the ones Obsidian has made in the past, not a massive open-world thing like SKYRIM. I'd expect it to take around 3 years tops, to be released maybe 12-18 months from now, assuming nothing's gone wrong with the project.

Doesn't mean they can't spend 5 years on it. Sure it may not be viable with the increase in technology in those 5 years, or maybe financially but it is certainly a possibility.

Looking over the games Obsidian have released, they have mostly been sequels using previous game engines so it's hard to gauge. Neverwinter Nights 2 took 2 years from announcement for completion. How much they worked on that before I don't particularly know(it doesn't mention it on wiki). Out of all their releases, they have only developed 1 game engine between them, for Neverwinter Nights 2.

Also, I am unsure whether this new engine Obsidian are developing is for South Park, seeing as that game is a collaboration between 3 studios(THQ, South Park Digital Studios LLC and Obsidian).

See, if the engine isn't for that game, but rather for WoT, then WoT could be longer away. I mean, to develop the Engine and the game will take much longer than just developing the game itself.

Out of all their releases, they have only developed 1 game engine between them, for Neverwinter Nights 2.

They've created 2 game engines from scratch, the one for ALPHA PROTOCOL which was only used in that game, and the one for DUNGEON SIEGE III, which is also being used for SOUTH PARK and reportedly WHEEL OF TIME. The advert about a new engine suggests that they'll be developing a new engine for their new original fantasy franchise (which is apparently in development behind the scenes). It could be for WoT, since we only ever had an insider rumour about WoT using the DS3 engine, but I think it's less likely.

Also, I am unsure whether this new engine Obsidian are developing is for South Park, seeing as that game is a collaboration between 3 studios(THQ, South Park Digital Studios LLC and Obsidian).

See, if the engine isn't for that game, but rather for WoT, then WoT could be longer away. I mean, to develop the Engine and the game will take much longer than just developing the game itself.

I'll have to look at the press release again, but I'm sure they've said that the SOUTH PARK game will use the DS3 engine, but a 2D-stylised version of it to match the visual look of the TV series.

AFAWK, the WoT game is a structured RPG more like the ones Obsidian has made in the past, not a massive open-world thing like SKYRIM. I'd expect it to take around 3 years tops, to be released maybe 12-18 months from now, assuming nothing's gone wrong with the project.

:'( I hope it's at least a slightly open world deal, a la Mass Effect :D Edited by Nicook5

Out of all their releases, they have only developed 1 game engine between them, for Neverwinter Nights 2.

They've created 2 game engines from scratch, the one for ALPHA PROTOCOL which was only used in that game, and the one for DUNGEON SIEGE III, which is also being used for SOUTH PARK and reportedly WHEEL OF TIME. The advert about a new engine suggests that they'll be developing a new engine for their new original fantasy franchise (which is apparently in development behind the scenes). It could be for WoT, since we only ever had an insider rumour about WoT using the DS3 engine, but I think it's less likely.

According to wiki, ALPHA PROTOCOL used Unreal Engine 3, so Obsidian for sure didn't create that...

Obsidian Entertainment’s Alpha Protocol is a massive, espionage-focused RPG set to be published by Sega for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 early this year. Chris Parker, executive producer and co-owner of Obsidian, recently elaborated on why his team is using Unreal Engine 3 to develop the game.
^ Not from Wiki.

And ok. I wasn't sure about the DS3 game engine. Hadn't looked that up properly, so I wasn't sure if the game engine(Onyx) was developed my Obsidian or if it was a 3rd party/Square ENIX game engine. So yeah, they have created 2 engines - for DS3 and NWN2(which uses Electron).

I'll have to look at the press release again, but I'm sure they've said that the SOUTH PARK game will use the DS3 engine, but a 2D-stylised version of it to match the visual look of the TV series.

And yeah, I just found a press release that says South Park will be using the DS3 engine. :tongue:

Which makes it seem likely this advert for a new engine programmer is for WoT, which means it will still be a wee while away.

i still don't know how i feel about a wheel of time game. without rj around harriet would have to be the one to give them story ques, and i just don't think an rpg set directly in the main series itself could work well, if you play as rand, mat, or perrin or pretty much any main character during the main series your choices are severely limited. but to do something like a war of a hundred years plot, you still have to stay true to the known things about that period of time, and to the world's dynamics as well. but hell a war of a hundred years rpg could likely work, it is obscure enough although the resulting nations and their strengths at their start is known, the war was a hundred years, so only andor would be established near the start, although i suspect the borderlands solidified very quickly. i just hope they don't try to make this first stab with the main series, it will blow up in their face. they gotta find a time where things are pretty loose, but there is enough detail to make something work. i think early 100 year war would suite it nicely, 5 or 10 years in, after hawkwing's empire has truly dissolved and the siege on tarvalon has been over for a few years. the kingdom of andor digging out, the borderlands headed by shienar are following their creed and oath. tear and illian gunning for each other's trade, amadore never having been the home to the whitecloaks, and the whitecloaks themselves still forming, ebou dar rebuilding from the end of the trolloc wars 50 or so years before. its just such a tasty low hanging fruit i think.

edit, i never change the post just amend it here at the bottom:(maybe it wasn't the trolloc wars that i was thinking of, not gonna look it up right now, i just know that hawkwing stopped a massive shadow invasion that happened and was happening around the same time he started to take over the world. but maybe it wasn't the war that broke ebou dar, i think it was)

Edited by Testy al'Carr

Nobody will start making a game until the movie gets further along... even though they announced the deal way back when.

If it's a movie based game.... ugh. Dunno about you guys but I have yet to play a movie based game that wasn't shit.

According to wiki, ALPHA PROTOCOL used Unreal Engine 3, so Obsidian for sure didn't create that...

That's the graphics engine, not the game engine. The game engine combines the graphics system with a control scheme and programming instructions/tools.

Nobody will start making a game until the movie gets further along... even though they announced the deal way back when.

The game will apparently be set during a different time period to the movie/books, so it's not an issue. Also, with modern games they need to have a development cycle 35-50% longer than that of the film, otherwise the game will end up being a typical rushed, cash-in hack job. So they need to start work on the game long before the movie.

That's the graphics engine, not the game engine. The game engine combines the graphics system with a control scheme and programming instructions/tools.

No, Unreal Engine is the game engine, because it IS a game engine. And they would have programmed the game using UE's own language. And they would have tweaked any code from the engine for any custom things they needed it to do. Sure, they still had to code the game(UI and controls and all that) but Unreal Engine was the engine that Alpha Protocol used.

Take a Look. They could have tweaked any of those features present in the game, but they are still using that engine rather than creating one from scratch.

Obsidian is also going to make another Fallout game I heard. So, it could easily for that. Bethesda gave The Elder Scrolls a complete overhaul, with Skyrim. So, it would not be beyond reason to expect them (Bethesda and Obsidian) to give build a new engine for future Fallout games.

Edited by Dagon Thyne

No, Unreal Engine is the game engine, because it IS a game engine. And they would have programmed the game using UE's own language. And they would have tweaked any code from the engine for any custom things they needed it to do. Sure, they still had to code the game(UI and controls and all that) but Unreal Engine was the engine that Alpha Protocol used.

Take a Look. They could have tweaked any of those features present in the game, but they are still using that engine rather than creating one from scratch.

Fair enough. I hadn't looked into the U3 engine's full capabilities (I've been out of the gaming loop for 3-4 years due to an inferior PC, which has recently been rectified) and I recall Obsidian saying they were building a new engine for ALPHA PROTOCOL, albeit using some established middleware.

Obsidian is also going to make another Fallout game I heard. So, it could easily for that. Bethesda gave The Elder Scrolls a complete overhaul, with Skyrim. So, it would not be beyond reason to expect them (Bethesda and Obsidian) to give build a new engine for future Fallout games.

Based on comments from Bethesda, it sounds likely that the Creation Engine (used in SKYRIM, although frankly it's a not-massively-different version of the Gamebryo Engine they've been using since MORROWIND) will be used for FALLOUT 4, which will likely be their next project post-SKYRIM DLC and expansions. In fact, they've probably already got a team working on FALLOUT 4 and will be switching more people over now that SKYRIM is out (the same technique they used on OBLIVION versus FALLOUT 3). Obsidian might get to make another side-game (something to FO4 like NEW VEGAS was to FO3) and there may even have been discussions about that, but it's likely a good couple of years before they'll need to seriously consider that. I'm not anticipating FO4 before late 2013 or early 2014 at the earliest.

AFAIK Obsidian's current full development slate is as follows:

SOUTH PARK: THE RPG (confirmed, announced, in full development)

THE WHEEL OF TIME (confirmed, announced, development status unknown)

ICEWIND DALE III (proposed to Atari, not yet confirmed)

Original fantasy IP (vaguely talked about)

Possible new FALLOUT game (very vaguely rumoured)