DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sea Folk Reaction To Mat's Ebou Dar Liberation Of Windfinders

Winespring Patron

I was just recalling Nestelle din Sakura South Star's bargain with Mat prior to her release. She stated he will be "remembered and was a great and good man" (paraphrase); does this mean that the new or acting Mistress of Ships will officially recognize him with an honorary title such as Swordmaster to the Coramoor? The Sea Folk seem to be very big on formality and ceremony, it's hard to believe they will leave it at "Thanks, Mat" if they meet him again. Also, I hope they will speak up for Mat if Egwene gives him any grief about marrying Fortuona.

I've suggested in the past that Zaida may be a darkfriend, and that this is how Harine ascends to be Mistress of Ships. Perhaps Mat may play a role there, being that he has influence with so many Windfinders, who in turn have influence with the Wavemistresses.

Sword Master to the Coramoor? They seem to not know Mat's conection to Rand.

Egwene giving grief about him marrying Toun; slight chance for the Atha'an Miere finding out about that if it happens.

Lecturing Mat might be more probable if Egwene finds out about the marriage.

Maybe they would grant him free passage to some destination.

Just a speculation.

MAt needs the horn for TG.

The Horn is in somewhere in the WT.

Seanchan will attack WT again.

The horn has some very very strong connection with Illian according to the prophesies.

Illian is not Seanchan territory.

Sea Folk have free access to Illian.

So I think you all understand my scenario: Seanchan steal the Horn, yet the Windfinders perform a revenge assault on them and reclaim the horn. The nearest safe place for them is Illian where they send message to Coramoor. And he knows who and where the hornblower is by the time, so they both Travel to Illian. This would be the highest reward possible by the Windfinders.

Well, maybe too much of a speculation...

Just a speculation.

Let me add mine. Although given long history of Mat and women who can channel, maybe the following are givens instead of speculation:

1) Whatever honor they give him, he will not like it.

2) Whatever honor they give him, it will force him to be responsible.

3) Whatever honor they give him, it will create work for him.

4) Whatever honor they give him, it will probably land him in the middle of a battle at some point.

5) The honor may bring him great wealth, but he will have to spend most of it rescuing other women who can channel.

6) Not a single Windfinder will ever call him "Mat" which is the name he prefers.

I think that the Pattern has decided that Matrim Cauthon is a universal Warder to all women who can channel. Except for the time he spent in the Waste his entire storyline since leaving Tar Valon in TDR has involved nothing but saving one group of women who can channel after another. Mat is proof that the Pattern does have a sense of humor.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a speculation.

Let me add mine. Although given long history of Mat and women who can channel, maybe the following are givens instead of speculation:

1) Whatever honor they give him, he will not like it.

2) Whatever honor they give him, it will force him to be responsible.

3) Whatever honor they give him, it will create work for him.

4) Whatever honor they give him, it will probably land him in the middle of a battle at some point.

5) The honor may bring him great wealth, but he will have to spend most of it rescuing other women who can channel.

6) Not a single Windfinder will ever call him "Mat" which is the name he prefers.

I think that the Pattern has decided that Matrim Cauthon is a universal Warder to all women who can channel. Except for the time he spent in the Waste his entire storyline since leaving Tar Valon in TDR has involved nothing but saving one group of women who can channel after another. Mat is proof that the Pattern does have a sense of humor.

That actually made me grin for almost an entire day...

I cant remember the book or who he was talking to at the time, but Brigitte, Avi, Nyn and Elayne were there. The Wave Mistress and Windfinder will remember the name and face of the "shore bound Tarveren" who twisted them around his finger and told them "Think of me as the Master of Blade, and my blades are bare!".

This added to his setting the captured Windfinder's free will certainly make the Seafolk high up's think twice about "looking down" their nose's at him.

A.

MAt needs the horn for TG.

The Horn is in somewhere in the WT.

Seanchan will attack WT again.

The horn has some very very strong connection with Illian according to the prophesies.

Illian is not Seanchan territory.

Sea Folk have free access to Illian.

I like this. But I think if it happened like that, the Hunters for the Horn would end up being pulled in by Mats Ta'veren twist and they'd end up rooting it out for him, not the Windfinders. Maybe. Or maybe not.

Archived