DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fantasy Reader Reborn

nool

Hiya,

33 year old male here. I really enjoyed reading fantasy in my early teens (Eddings, Tolkien, Le Guin), but somehow fell out of love with the genre.

In May this year I spotted the whole WoT series in my mother-in-law's book shelf, and on a pure whim decided to give it a try. Best whim I've had in a long time ;-)

I finished ToM yesterday and found my way to this website by googling on "red aiel". My guess, by the way, is that they are from Shara. The continent/culture is obviously well known to the forsaken (Graendal had royal Sharans as "toys"), and I can't see them/the Dark One, not taking advantage of the extra fighting power (soldiers and channelers) it offers. Semirhage infiltrates the Seanchans - I find it very plausible that Demandred has done the same with the Sharans.

Naming a favourite character is tricky, since my perception of them constantly changes as they develop. I used to hate Mat in the beginning of the series, but now think he's one of the more likable and funny characters. In the same manner I really admired Egwene during her captivity in the White Tower, but think she is too narrow minded now that she has finally become the Amrylin Seat. If someone twisted my arm, I would probably say Aviendha. Dunno why, though. I also like Siuan Sanche and her relation to Gareth Bryne.

Edit: I forgot Tuon. Very colourful character, still we've only scratched on the surface. I'm convinced she will (accidentally) learn to channel.

My favourite passage in the series so far, is probably the flashbacks of the Aiel's history. which Rand sees/experiences in Rhuidean. It was my first eye opener as to how complex and well thought out the world of WoT is.

Oh, one last thing. My mother-in-law is Dutch, so I've read the whole series in Dutch. It can be quite confusing at times, since many names of place and characters differ.

They change the names of characters and places??? That should be illegal! *gasps*

So what's your home language then?

Oh and welcome to DM :biggrin:

Ek is Elgee van Suid-Afrika. As jy can Hollands verstaan, behoort jy ook Afrikaans te kan verstaan.

They change the names of characters and places??? That should be illegal! *gasps*

So what's your home language then?

Oh and welcome to DM :biggrin:

Ek is Elgee van Suid-Afrika. As jy can Hollands verstaan, behoort jy ook Afrikaans te kan verstaan.

Thanks Elgee!

Yes, I do understand it when you write Afrikaans, although Dutch isn't my mother tongue. (It's actually Swedish)

It sort of makes sense that they change the names. Two Rivers is for instance called Tweewater, which makes more sense and reads better in an otherwise Dutch text. But mostly it's about minor spelling changes, so that the names will sound closer to the original when pronounced in Dutch, e.g. Tyr instead of Tear.

Tweewater maak sin hehehe

We have a town here called Twee buffels met een skoot mors dood geskiet fontein :biggrin: (without the spaces, but I thought that might be too confusing ... lol)

Anyhoo ... So you're originally from Sweden? We have Swedish people here at DM, both at the Discussion sections and at the Groups. Have you had a look around yet?

Tweewater maak sin hehehe

We have a town here called Twee buffels met een skoot mors dood geskiet fontein :biggrin: (without the spaces, but I thought that might be too confusing ... lol)

Anyhoo ... So you're originally from Sweden? We have Swedish people here at DM, both at the Discussion sections and at the Groups. Have you had a look around yet?

That's one hell of a town name ;-)

Yes, I'm from Sweden, but I live in Holland. I've only checked the forums out so far, and most likely that's what I will stick to as well.

I like Aviendha too, and Siuan and Gareth are one of my favorite couples.

I'm sure Tuon will :D I can't wait to see what happens between her and Mat!!!

I think you'd like the discussion boards. Also check out the social groups and rp boards if you're interested

Which part is your favorite?

If you have any questions just ask :D

Welcome to dm!!!

Cheers Aiel Heart!

I already found my way to the discussion boards, and really do enjoy them.

RP isn't my thing, though, and I will stay clear of the social groups for now. Don't have time to get too addicted to this place.

Considering which book I like the best, I honestly don't know. I've read them all continuously, picking the next one up as soon as I was done with the previous one. I.E. they all blend together for me.

I must say that I wasn't too fond of the "circular plot" in the 3-4 first books, where the Two River gang started out together, got split up and then got together again for a big climax. That set up felt too contrived and would obviously have been impossible to maintain throughout the series.

@ Aiel Heart:

From my original post ;-):

My favourite passage in the series so far, is probably the flashbacks of the Aiel's history. which Rand sees/experiences in Rhuidean. It was my first eye opener as to how complex and well thought out the world of WoT is.

Welcome to DM!!!

You've got a really nice avatar LMAO!!! :biggrin:

Who is your least-favourite character? Who is your favourite Forsaken?

Feel free to ask if you've got something on your mind!

I hope you'll like it here!!

Well, thank you Ledinna Sedai!

Least favourite character will have to be Padan Fain / Mordeth . I think he's a bit too much and don't really get the whole thing about a "third power" beside the Light and the Dark One.

Favourite Forsaken: Graendel, for sure. Evil to the bone.

Hi there. I'm also new to DM. I couldn't agree more with you about Mat and Egwene. Tuon is a gold mine of interesting backstory. Siuan is fun and I love Aviendha, although it seems like an awful lot of the female characters are huffy and persnickity. Still, it's the best fantasy series I've ever read. I tried to read other fantasy books after WoT and they just couldn't compare. I didn't even finish them! Nothing can compare to the rich detail and extraordinary imagination of Robert Jordan.

Hi there. I'm also new to DM. I couldn't agree more with you about Mat and Egwene. Tuon is a gold mine of interesting backstory. Siuan is fun and I love Aviendha, although it seems like an awful lot of the female characters are huffy and persnickity. Still, it's the best fantasy series I've ever read. I tried to read other fantasy books after WoT and they just couldn't compare. I didn't even finish them! Nothing can compare to the rich detail and extraordinary imagination of Robert Jordan.

Hi JWO!

Being a bit of a history buff I particularly enjoy Jordan's attention to detail: questions of food supplies and army logistics, politics, etc. It makes the story feel very real amidst all the magic and fantasy elements. I also like that the struggle between good and evil isn't totally black and white. Both sides, the champions of the light as well as the of the dark, struggle because of human weaknesses, like vanity, power abuse, greed, etc.

Well if the women weren't like that and were easily pushed over I don't think I would enjoy them as much. :aiel:

Welcome Olver. It is wise to tread lightly in the Social Groups if you have limited time. They truly are addictive. I started just to post in the discussions. Now I rarely go there cause I have to much fun in the Social Groups. I'm only in two, the White Tower and the Black Tower. There are some that are in all of them( yes I'm looking at you Aiel Heart) I don't see how they can find that much time.

Anyway have fun checking evrything out and ask any questions you may have.

btw, in the Black Tower we have people from both Sweden and Holland.

Archived