DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Name suggestions for Feminine Rand

EpitomyofShyness

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which name would best suit a female version of Rand?

• Alex (defending warrior)
    • Bree (strength, power) (strong, virtuous, honorable)
    • Brin (hill)
    • Lena (light)
    • Rae (ewe)
    • Rhea (a flowing stream)
    • Tess (to reap, to gather)
    • Other (tell me the meaning)

Moiraine wouldn't feel the saidin, no matter if it was channelled by boy or girl. Still, she wouldn't give a coin to Fem Rand, but it doesn't matter because the redhead girl will be wandering all over andor with Mat, who has the coin.

My thought exactly.

So, major realization of who the Dragon Reborn is comes at the Eend of tEotW, no differences. Yet, it would be much easier to hide the girl from the Black Ajah. So, I assume Perrin will get more "attention" due to the golden eyes.

Both Perrin and Mat, after all Mat is spouting off Old Tongue every once in awhile even in tEotW. So those two boys will be being closely questioned on what they know of their family etc, as Moiraine tries to figure out which one was born outside Emond's Field.

As for the Aiel Prophesies, ther is no problem. We don't know what is the Aiel system for pronouns, so "He who comes with the dawn" may be just an incorrect translation of "The One who comes with the Dawn".

I didn't think of that. Also the Aiel are less gender obsessed, unlike most cultures, so while there might still be some debate, since Car'a'Carn does mean Chief of Chiefs, in the end the Aiel I imagine would accept her with less fuss than most.

The only real problem I see is how to deal with Fem Rand vs. Egwene interactions. Just friends in the beginning, or pillow friends? Fem Rand being Eg's elder adopted sister sounds even better. Male Egwene is not an option (would never be elected for Amyrlin, nor even to be a novice maybe), so...? (What about Egwene being Mat's girlfriend - it would put additional tension on her fights with Seanchan :))

I always felt Egwene and Rand's attraction to each other wasn't real. Also Rand and Egwene never seemed very much like friends, it just seemed that everyone had come to accept that the two most eligible individuals in town would end up together. Rand and Egwene also accepted it, after all Egwene is pretty and Rand is handsome. Both are good people.

The relationship between Egwene and FemRand I've envisioned as a bit competitive. Not exceedingly so though, and certainly not antagonistic. Egwene won't be insulting FemRand as much actually, since they are both women. I actually see them becoming better friends on the journey from Emond's Field than they were while in Emond's Field. As for who they like, I actually see Egwene sort of chasing after Perrin. Next to Rand he was the most eligible guy. Mat was considered immature, and most of the girls turned their noses up at him. (He really was immature back then.) Mat more came into his own in tDR.

As for the main question about the name of Fem Rand: I didn't voted.

I would like it if you choose a name starting with R, though. In my opinion these are the best names for a girl. I'm also currently thinking about several "R" options for my future daughter (as I would like her to have the first letter of my mother's name). So, can I propose you an option:

"Rosa" is a nice name and in my native language means "morning dew"... Clearly fits with "coming with the dawn" :)

Keep on writing! I also used to write "covers" of my favourite stories and cartoons when I was young.

Yeah it seems the overwhelming consensus so far agrees with you on the name starting with 'R'. Thanks for all the advice and the name suggestion!

A red-head with a stubborn attitude?

I think we all know the answer is Trudy.

:laugh:

Sophia -> Sophie -> Sonya (all stem from Sophia where I come from, which of course means wisdom).

Oh I like this one! Thank you so much for the suggestion! I particularly like Sonya.

I named my daughter Sophia (after my grandmother) but call her Zosya (which is just another deviation) while my wife calls her Zoshia (which is kind of weird English pronunciation). But Sonya was what everyone called my grandmother rolleyes.gif

Sophia -> Sophie -> Sonya (all stem from Sophia where I come from, which of course means wisdom).

Oh I like this one! Thank you so much for the suggestion! I particularly like Sonya.

I named my daughter Sophia (after my grandmother) but call her Zosya (which is just another deviation) while my wife calls her Zoshia (which is kind of weird English pronunciation). But Sonya was what everyone called my grandmother rolleyes.gif

Thumbs up for the suggestions! I didn't know that Sonya derives from Sophia, but Sonya definitely fits with a redhead female swordmaster (Arnold Schwarzeneggar knows best :P "The Red Sonya" is just as classical as "Konan the Barbarian".)

Btw, if the name is Sofia (or with some similar sounding) it would be a nice link to the Aiel Wise Ones. And the Fem Rand (a.k.a. Sophia or Sonya) can start tEotW as being the Emond Field Wisdom's novice.

P.S. Btw, I live in Sofia (the capital city of Bulgaria) and I like the name despite its Greek origin. It's even better as Fem Rand's father was captain in the army of Illian and this land resembles Ancient Greece in organization, culture and names, so it would be quite plausible to choose an Illianer name for the girl.

Thumbs up for the suggestions! I didn't know that Sonya derives from Sophia, but Sonya definitely fits with a redhead female swordmaster (Arnold Schwarzeneggar knows best :P "The Red Sonya" is just as classical as "Konan the Barbarian".)

Btw, if the name is Sofia (or with some similar sounding) it would be a nice link to the Aiel Wise Ones. And the Fem Rand (a.k.a. Sophia or Sonya) can start tEotW as being the Emond Field Wisdom's novice.

P.S. Btw, I live in Sofia (the capital city of Bulgaria) and I like the name despite its Greek origin. It's even better as Fem Rand's father was captain in the army of Illian and this land resembles Ancient Greece in organization, culture and names, so it would be quite plausible to choose an Illianer name for the girl.

I knew making this thread was a good idea! Your all so inspiring! And I'm really starting to like Sofia or Sonya. Maybe I should edit the poll to add it in?

Unless I am mistaken, a soul does not get reborn with a body of the opposite gender.

I am not talking about Arangar/Osangar/Cyndane/Moridin; those I count as ressurections, not as rebirths.

You're not mistaken. But you already knew that.
Actually, I did not know.

Archived